I'm bitting the bullet and buying a Russel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
I'm definatly getting a Russel seat. This Canada trip instilled that very deeply. I've kinda decided to go full leather with no backrest (I haven't felt the need for one) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions from there experiences with there Russels. I'm only 4 hours from them, so I'm thiking about a ride in on a cancelation. I ride solo, so I'm only doing the front and having the rear covered to match. Runnin a Black Cherry, any pics or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks guys (and gals :) )

:drinks:

Don't get the veluore(sp)

Its nice as far as breathing and all for summer. But its a PITA come rain and wash time. I wish I had gotten the plain leather.

I did the leather, half moon style, still happy after 1 1/2 years & 15k miles. No complaints other than I have to stand up every so often to dry out the 'nether regions', but I had to do that with the stock seat (more often with the stock seat too)...

If I could do a drive in I'd do that, but I had to settle for photos & a write up.

Good luck !

Ride-in, leather... Gunny! Big note: Don't leave until you are completely happy and comfy and don't be afraid to wank.

Ride-in, leather... Gunny! Big note: Don't leave until you are completely happy and comfy and don't be afraid to wank.

Does that last word mean the same in the US as it does in UK? If so, please explain how this relates to Russel seats. Is it a sales gimmick? or just for fun?

Jill
:lol:

Yes, Jill, most times it is for 'fun', as you say. ;) But sadly, unlike your proper British slang, 'to wank' in American slang simply means 'to complain'.

PS Get your mind outta the gutter, young lady!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vinyl is cheaper and easier to keep. If you wear gear the difference between the two is not noticeable. I have had both on the FJR and I didn't notice the change from leather to vinyl. I have had three after market seats on the FJR and the Russell is by the best. I have a Bill Mayer on my Wee Strom and the Russell is just more comfortable.

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like it's definatly going to be leather. Any comments on stitching patterns for the warmer weather? Or is a stitching pattern even needed?

I'm having mine done later this month, mail-in. Going for two-up, leather, with a backrest (which I decided after riding to/from the IBR finish over the last two weeks). I'm going to have them do part of the seat in an offsetting silver leather color on the seating surface so it's not so hot when it sits in the sun. I called them and they sent four different leather samples so I could pick a color that matches the silver on my '06. You could do the same (get the samples).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got vinyl for ease of maintenance and had the large diamond patern sewed in thinking that it might be a tad cooler. I don't know if I was right or wrong about the diamonds but I have no complaints about the seat

You are NOT gonna believe this. I called Russel and asked if I could get in on a cancelation, and they have one for Wendsday! I'm there in less than 24 hours! :yahoo: Early day, but hay! :) Talk about service! :clapping:

I have the vinyl with block pattern and it is great for comfort and care.

I have the backrest and recommendit for long-distance comfort. It is nice to shift your ass forward and lean back every know and then. The back rest is completly adjustable for height and angle with a swivel mount for the pad itself so it automatically adjusts to the angle of your back.

I also opted for the heated seats, which I love for cold weather riding.

Luv my all-leather Russell! More comfy than my vinyl and velour on my GL1500 in spite of there being more room to work with on the GL seat pan. No back rest on the FJR because I don't sit so far backward as to have a need to lean on anything. It was great for the Wing, but for the FJR... meh.

As mentioned leather is the cats meow. But, if your planning on leather just be sure to keep it conditioned and "don't" let it get wet if you can keep from it. It doesn't take many baths for leather to start to loose its quality and softness. Water is the leathers worse enemy. Get a water proof seat cover to keep in the bags for when not riding and outside. They do make marine grade vinyl now that looks a whole lot like leather and you don't ever have to worry about it getting wet. Talk to the folks at Russell and they can give you more particulars to guide you in the right direction. You have made a good decession on the right seat...your rear will forever thank you. PM. <>< :D

Dayum. Your post was a few hours to late. She's a cutie to be sure :D I didn't think to snap a pic of her tho :eek:

I'm back, and my arse is happy as a clam! I went with black leather, rectangle quilt, no backrest or heat. I had the rear covered to match. Total was just shy of $700 on the ride in, and I got to meet a couple interesting people. One of wich is a lurker here :bye: I still have to take an 'after' photo, then I'll post em up, probably tomorrow. The bikes already covered and down for the night.

Great timing Silent! I've noticed that *generally* the ld ridres use the R brand, while sportier types of riders use the Bill Mayer seat.. not as easy to move around on the R as the BMayers seat. :rolleyes: Looks like you'll have to apply for the 2009 IBR now!