I'm bitting the bullet and buying a Russel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did do 1400 in 28 hours last week. Didn't it document tho, and my arse was screamin afterwords too :blink:

sent my seat out last week for a production date of 9/10 or 9/11...so i'm hoping i get it back in a week or so. Going for the vinyl as leather was too much maintenance.

Finnaly getting around to posting a couple pics.

Russell

DSC_2399.jpg

Before

DSC_2398.jpg

After

DSC_2400.jpg

And now I have a happy ass :yahoo:

ass.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]I really curious about the height difference, if there is some with the Russell??[/SIZE]

Please comment.

Thanks

I do sit a tad higher and a tad farther back than before. With the way the did the wings, I didn't loose to much footing.

I sent mine off to Russell today for a 9/17 build date. Two-up, all leather (two colors), backrest, and HEAT (gotta keep the SO happy). I'll post pics after I get it back. Anybody want to buy a gently-used Airhawk cushion?? I purchased it used and just used it to ride to/from the IBR finish (couldn't have made it without it).

I'm curious about the seat height difference from stock also, since the Airhawk cushion set me up high enough to get wind turbulence even with my tall CE Bailey all the way up. May be selling it soon, too.

I sent mine off to Russell today for a 9/17 build date. Two-up, all leather (two colors), backrest, and HEAT (gotta keep the SO happy). I'll post pics after I get it back. Anybody want to buy a gently-used Airhawk cushion?? I purchased it used and just used it to ride to/from the IBR finish (couldn't have made it without it).
I'm curious about the seat height difference from stock also, since the Airhawk cushion set me up high enough to get wind turbulence even with my tall CE Bailey all the way up. May be selling it soon, too.
Grats! My build was no higher than my stock seat with a 1/2 inch gell pad on it. You can see in the pics that there's a bout a 1/2 inch raise in the Russell

Finnaly getting around to posting a couple pics.

After

DSC_2400.jpg
Is it me or does your seat have the wings really far forward? Most of the Russels I've seen before the wings were further back so as to almost cradle the butt, but yours seem like they would be under your thighs. Almost like the wings on yours are on bass-ackwards?

Maybe it's just the angle of that picture?

I'm prolly gonna have to do a remote Russell over the winter this year...

Paul/Ray:

The back rest slides in and out of a slot under the passangers seat. It's a snug fit so it doesn't make any noise, but it removes quickly. There is a sliding wedge that can be moved up or down to change the fore-aft position and the back rest pad is on a pivot so it automatically adjusts to the right angle for support. The whole pad can be adjusted up or down to the desired height. It's the best back rest I have ever had. I only use it on long solo rides. It is not designed to be used with a passenger. Here are some pictures:

100_1471.jpg

100_1472.jpg

100_1473.jpg

100_1474.jpg

100_1475.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or does your seat have the wings really far forward? Most of the Russels I've seen before the wings were further back so as to almost cradle the butt, but yours seem like they would be under your thighs. Almost like the wings on yours are on bass-ackwards?

It's possible that the wings are father forward than you're use to. I sit forward twards the tank as my prefered riding position

It's possible that the wings are father forward than you're use to. I sit forward twards the tank as my prefered riding position

That must be it. Plus the wings are on the small side. Just comparing yours to the pics in this post just after yours. Are you a little fella? Or do you just have a small butt?

That must be it. Plus the wings are on the small side. Just comparing yours to the pics in this post just after yours. Are you a little fella? Or do you just have a small butt?
5'8" 180lbs. Not the smallest, but I'm a tad vertically challenged for the FJR :p

As a side note, I gained 45lbs after getting out of the Marines :huh: