Imbalance problem at high speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRbobliz

Reaction score
2010 FJR 1300 - Issues I have been dealing with: undersized rear axle, side play in rear wheel, front fork bushings were replaced under warranty because they were worn out, have balanced and rebalanced both wheels several times as well as tire replacements and further rebalance, replaced front bearings and installed tapered rollers in the headset... still have imbalance at 75 mpg on up. Checked both wheels with dial gage indicator - o.k. Anyone experienced similar issues.

A couple thoughts, and gunny HRZ.

Side play in rear axle. Are you missing a washer or something?

Since it's still under warranty, get mamma-yamma to fix it, it's a safety issue. Maybe a lawyer would get their attention if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm........when do kalifornians kare?....when it affects them. So....that being said.....

How long you had this problem, bluesy?

Start by getting all the mechanical items corrected. Gotta agree with 'zilla, undersized axle, rear wheel side play...you got something wrong, this is a first.

Have you checked wheels for lateral run-out, balancing the wheels separately w/o tires? How many miles on the bike?

--G

Are you missing washer 92903-20600-00 at the right end of the axle shaft? Tire pressures set at 40 & 42? Tires worn? If you have BT-021's, ditch them.

Undersized axel? Side play in rear wheel? Crown bearing in the rear drive? Bad bearings in rear wheel?

Gonna follow this one. Please let us know what the heck is going on?

I thought I had a similar issue. Mine turned out to be turbulance, (I think). When I have my short (shock cut down 3") shield on it shakes like hell at anything over 80MPH. The shaking resinates threw the whole bike, and at first thought I had a balance issue. Put my big (3" over stock) shield on and it is OK now.

Same here RR... I didn't have a problem until I added a topcase.

However the vagueness of the question and lack of response to inquires regarding missing parts is gonna keep us all guessin..

Appreciate all the feedback. Bike has never been wrecked! Not missing washer - have all the parts. Running almost new BT-023 rear and almost new Metzler on front. Have had wheels balanced with and without tires. No top case. Side play = rocking motion pulling and pushing top to bottom of rear wheel @ 90 ft /lbs axle torque. Bike has 15,000 miles. This issue was from the get go... paper trail re warranty with Yamaha... scheduled to go into another Yamaha dealer tomorrow for further assessment having spoken with Regional Tech. Advisor at Long Beach Show early December.

Aha!!

Side play = rocking motion pulling and pushing top to bottom of rear wheel @ 90 ft /lbs axle torque
Rear wheel bearing play from the sounds of it. No other reason the wheel should rock in a vertical plane.

Ok... If not Howie's issue:

1. What about swing arm area, bolt torque, bearings...

2. Rear end (final drive pumkin) bolts to swing arm, the four little acorn nuts on the left side.

3. Long shot, shock bolts, etc.

Have any of the above items been worked on before?

What type of environment do you ride in, lots of rain, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need a quality micrometer and start mic'ing parts and log there numbers and compare old parts to what the specs are in the sevice manual and mic the new parts to compare. Sounds like wrong thickness of one of the required washers and a bad axel or bearimgs. just food for thought to sheck

FJRBluesman hit on something while I was on my way to take a leak and go get some more beer.

If not play in the rear wheel bearings, the only other thing that could account for rocking in a vertical plane would be loose or shot swingarm bearings.

One way to test....pull off the rear wheel, slide the axle through the wheel, grab both ends of the axle sticking out of the wheel and see if any motion can be detected by rocking the axle 90 degrees, horizontal or vertical, to the wheel's vertical center line.

Also, with the wheel off, see if the swingarm can be moved by torqueing the left and right sides of the swingarm, one side up, the other down.

Either problem, swingarm play or axle bearing play, would definitely cause instability.