Inconsiderate FJR Rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Av8rider

Reaction score
That would be me.

I was on the freeway riding home from work yesterday when two Harley's entered the freeway about a half mile ahead of me. They were really getting on it, I was surprised at how loud they were.

I wanted to play and couldn't resist so I sped up to join them. After about a quarter of a mile and closing the gap very quickly they moved over one lane and slowed down. I'm sure they thought I was a motorcycle cop. When I caught up with them the guy closest to me he jumped on it, your not ever going to sneak up on someone on either of these bikes, so I slowly rolled on the throttle and left him like he was sitting still.

Its amazing how smooth and fast the FJR is.

You bad boy---I would never/ever be guilty of such a shenanigan !!

Nuttin' like mixing apples with bananas but the impromptu 'leaving them behind' may be less obvious if they were v-rods.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife and I just returned last week from a vacation trip that included the Ohio River Scenic Byway in southern Indiana with a sprinkling of small towns and traffic lights every 10~20 miles. The wife and I caught up with a fairly big 'engined' but non-dresser type of Harley. It was obvious to me by the 'up and down' of the loud exhaust volume, that the guy had been doing some 'serious-for-him' car passing and acceleration. I think he was surprised when we passed him and then pulled up next to him at the traffic light fully loaded with side and tank bags, riding double. He inquisitively commented about the helmet's Cardio head sets we were wearing and the moving windshield. (I just had to use the 'cool' factor of the shield by fiddling it up and down while we waited for the light, you know!) When the light changed, we briefly acknowledge the end of the conversation but I could tell by his exhaust sound that for the next several miles he was doing his best to navigate around the single lane traffic and keep up with us as we effortless passed one car after another and glided down the highway. This bike really comes into its own on those roads. I only wished that I could enjoy them more. We may have made a convert from the dark side that day. :lol:

I can relate.

A year ago I was on a five day charity ride to Camp LeJeune in North Carolina with 12 other guys, mostly on Harleys. One of them was a big buck Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide with all the bells and whistles (103 inch motor, GPS, CD changer, etc.). I think it's something like $25,000. A nice guy but he thought he was hot stuff on this bike. We had a couple of acceleration runs where he challenged me on my FJR (no contest). Then on the last day we had some wide open highway where he started testing the roll-on capability of his HD versus my FJR. It was quite funny watching him get smoked over and over again. I was even letting him get a jump on me and I'd immediately fly by him. He was quite sad at the next gas stop. He kept asking me if I was wide open on those runs, I rarely was.

FJRs RULE!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I let one of the guys who is in my club ride mine when we were on out run out to WI for our annual picnic. I rode his HD he rode mine. We went through part of the Dells with some nice twisties and good straights. all he could say when he got off 20 miles later was holy shit. I may have a convert.

HD rider's, in general, ride for a totally different reason than FJR/sport touring bike riders. We don't think they get it and they don't think we get it. That's what makes biking such a great sport everyone can ride for different reasons and still enjoy it.

Enjoy the ride - that can be different for many. I test drove a Buell and a V Rod last month. I have to say I was much more impressed than I thought I would be. Both are very different bikes and I enjoyed the 30mins on each. But they are not a replacement for the FJR.

Earlier this year I was riding east towards Harlem ave on 159th street and I noticed this Harley rider on my tail. So as we are weaving thru the traffic I would position myself so he couldn't get next to me at the lights. Just as we got to Harlem ave he jumps in the left turn lane and guns it. The light changed to yellow but I guess he felt he was going to fast to turn. It was hilarious as he locked his back tire and slid into the middle of intersection. He could have made the turn if he wanted but instead walked the bike back to light. I agree with bikerkash but you should make sure you know your bike can handle what you want it to do.

HD rider's, in general, ride for a totally different reason than FJR/sport touring bike riders. We don't think they get it and they don't think we get it. That's what makes biking such a great sport everyone can ride for different reasons and still enjoy it.
Way too in general. The people I ride with ride mostly HD's but they have all been bikers for at least 40 years or better. They just laugh at the HOG crowd and will give a good run in the twisties.

I got a harley Road Glide in my garage with the FJR. Totally different but just as fun. Depends on what type of riding you want to do and what mood your in. Both do somethings very well and somethings not so good. If it has two wheels and a motor I'll ride it. Oh and the Glide has stock exhaust.

Most of the HD guys I ride are long term riders as well. They coined Ironbutt before it was invented. Only stop for gas and this was on the shovelhead dressors. Tough old dudes, I am 15 to 20 years younger and had a hard time keeping up with them. They flat ride. They, are too, amused by the bar to bar bikes. They say the new guys give them a bad name.

Do this multiple times every ride. Lots of times they never even know we are there, till we are GONE! Scares the hell out of them.

It's not just HD riders who get wowed by the roll-on performance of an FJR. While riding up Silverado Trail in Napa a few months ago I got stuck behind 4-5 cagers doing 50 in a 55. First chance I got, I moved over and rolled on the throttle a little. After passing the first couple of cars I noticed oncoming traffic up ahead so I rolled on a little more. Moments later I passed the last car and it was then that I noticed the speedo read 105, so I backed off a bit as I didn't want to attract any CHP on this well patrolled stretch. It wasn't until a few seconds later that I noticed this had all been done in 3rd gear without ever reaching redline.

No, there were no Harleys present, but damned if I wasn't impressed. This bike is definitely more than I hoped it would be.

By the way. I was two up with bags.

Most of the HD guys I ride are long term riders as well. They coined Ironbutt before it was invented. Only stop for gas and this was on the shovelhead dressors. Tough old dudes, I am 15 to 20 years younger and had a hard time keeping up with them. They flat ride. They, are too, amused by the bar to bar bikes. They say the new guys give them a bad name.
I take the Seattle ferries a lot to get to open roads quickly without having to fight my way through city traffic. Motorcycles get to go straight to the front of the line, so that's where all of the bikes are, and usually there is extra time while we wait to load. What I like is that no matter what kind of motorcycle everyone is riding, there are always good conversations to be had, favorite roads exchanged, and mutual respect for each other's machines. Every Harley rider I've ever talked to (and there are LOTS of them) was perfectly cool, showed interest in what I was riding, commented on how fast my FJR must be, and just fun to talk to.

Live and let live, we all love our bikes, but they're still just a piece of machinery that doesn't define who we are. And I'll just come out and say it: That Road King is one fine looking motorcycle, wouldn't mind having one of those share the garage with my FJR. One for brisk touring through the twisties, one for relaxed cruising -- I'd be set. Too bad they're so freakin' expensive.

HEHE.....I like to sneek up on them, and then split'em. Their in such shock that they forget where the throttle is, and by the time they figure it out I'm a mile or two ahead. OH sorry that was a dream I was just discribing that I had in my sleep the other night. Don't listen to me. I never pass lawn mower equipment on the e-way..... :)

That would be me.
I was on the freeway riding home from work yesterday when two Harley's entered the freeway about a half mile ahead of me. They were really getting on it, I was surprised at how loud they were.

I wanted to play and couldn't resist so I sped up to join them. After about a quarter of a mile and closing the gap very quickly they moved over one lane and slowed down. I'm sure they thought I was a motorcycle cop. When I caught up with them the guy closest to me he jumped on it, your not ever going to sneak up on someone on either of these bikes, so I slowly rolled on the throttle and left him like he was sitting still.

Its amazing how smooth and fast the FJR is.
I have found myself in this position and reacted the same as you. It's sorta fun to dust those guys. However, I just have to add something...

Believe it or not, some of those guys on Harley's really DO know how to ride. A couple years ago, I was shooting down the Blue Ridge Parkway on my FZ1. I was loaded with soft bags, tailbag and tankbag. However, it would not have made a difference how I was loaded when two Harleys passed me on a short straight and showed me their tails. I had to work very hard to keep up with them and took advantage of every opportunity to maintain a close following distance. I must say, I was very impressed by the speeds those guys were able to maintain. Then, just when I was about to give up and let them fly on without me, the lead Harley nails his brakes and slips into one of the scenic pull-offs on the left side of the road. Obviously, his wingman had no time to react and slid off the road into the grass trying to make the same pull off. After my heart started beating again, I nearly laughed my a** off.