IndianaTom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDsgt

Reaction score
Hello fellow FJR forum members. I am writing to you all to update you on a thread that Tom had started back in December of 2007. Some of you may remember this thread.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=28041&hl=

I am Tom's brother and wanted to let you all know that it will probably be awhile before Tom is able to check in with you all as it seems that Tom's problem turns out to be a benign brain tumor. Tom was diagnosed on Thursday MAy 8th. After starting to have some vision issues, a MRI was performed on his head and it was discovered that he had a tumor approximately 40mm in diameter. (golf ball size) Tumor was located in the very center of his brain, and the neurosurgeon operated on Tom the following Thursday (may 15th)

Surgery lasted about 5 hours and was successful as far as removing the Tumor. Tested at hospital and was benign, and tumor was sent to Johns Hopkins to be certain that no cancer cells are present.

Bad news so far is that Tom has suffered side effects and set backs from the surgery. Tom currently is unable to move his right side, and he is unable to speak. He is becoming more alert on a daily basis, but has a long hard road ahead of him.

MRI's and CAT scans since surgery show no signs of any strokes in his brain, and Dr's indicate that his current condition is a result of the trauma he suffered in his brain from the size and location of the tumor. Tom's progress with physical therapy will probably be measured in weeks or months, instead of days as was originally hoped.

Tom is in "Baptist East Hospital" located in Louisville KY. If any of you are so inclined, you can send him an E-card through the hospital website. Volunteers at the hospital will download the cards and deliver them to him.

If you folks want, I can continue to update you on his progress. I will also be asking Keithaba from this site to assist me with any updates as he is close to Tom and will be stopping in to see him occasionally.

Any questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: Tom's last name is "Heverly

and here is the link to the E-Card page. Sorry to not include that to begin with.

https://secure.bhsi.com/www.baptisteast/eca...hjs=1&bhqs=

P.S. my sig line should be changed to reflect my 2008 R1200GS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow FJR forum members. I am writing to you all to update you on a thread that Tom had started back in December of 2007. Some of you may remember this thread.
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=28041&hl=

I am Tom's brother and wanted to let you all know that it will probably be awhile before Tom is able to check in with you all as it seems that Tom's problem turns out to be a benign brain tumor. Tom was diagnosed on Thursday MAy 8th. After starting to have some vision issues, a MRI was performed on his head and it was discovered that he had a tumor approximately 40mm in diameter. (golf ball size) Tumor was located in the very center of his brain, and the neurosurgeon operated on Tom the following Thursday (may 15th)

Surgery lasted about 5 hours and was successful as far as removing the Tumor. Tested at hospital and was benign, and tumor was sent to Johns Hopkins to be certain that no cancer cells are present.

Bad news so far is that Tom has suffered side effects and set backs from the surgery. Tom currently is unable to move his right side, and he is unable to speak. He is becoming more alert on a daily basis, but has a long hard road ahead of him.

MRI's and CAT scans since surgery show no signs of any strokes in his brain, and Dr's indicate that his current condition is a result of the trauma he suffered in his brain from the size and location of the tumor. Tom's progress with physical therapy will probably be measured in weeks or months, instead of days as was originally hoped.

Tom is in "Baptist East Hospital" located in Louisville KY. If any of you are so inclined, you can send him an E-card through the hospital website. Volunteers at the hospital will download the cards and deliver them to him.

If you folks want, I can continue to update you on his progress. I will also be asking Keithaba from this site to assist me with any updates as he is close to Tom and will be stopping in to see him occasionally.

Any questions feel free to ask.

My thoughts are with him and wish him a speedy recovery!

Wow, that sucks. I hope he continues to improve on a steady basis. Let him know he is in our thoughts.

Whoa...

Hey Tom...keep on gettin' after it man! Hopefully with hard work...things will come back to you. :clapping: :clapping:

hoping for a speedy and full recover for your brother Tom and one of our friends.

I will get with Keith and arange to go and visit Tom too....

Tom,

Sorry to hear of your plight, but sounds like surgery was a success. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery! Hope to ride with you again soon!

BTW, here's a link to the Baptist East's eCard.

Tom is now on my prayer list. God Bless him! I know Brain Tumors all too well. Speedy Recovery is on the demand!

Rex

Tom,

I've been so caught up in my own life that I missed this thread. I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles and wish you a all the best on a speedy recovery. It was nice riding with you on the way back from EOM last year and I was hoping to do so again if I attended this year. I'm pulling for you here and will send as much positive energy your way as I can muster up.

Chris

Holy Cow, I don't know how I missed posts about this. Tom, we're praying for you and a quick recovery. I'm going to be passing through Louisville in the next week so I will try to stop in.

Get better man! We want to see you at EOM again!!

JW

Tom,
Sorry to hear of your plight, but sounds like surgery was a success. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery! Hope to ride with you again soon!

I've never met Tom...though I'd like to someday. However I don't know if using "Indiana Tom" on the eCard will get to him. I'm not asking for personal info...but would like to send a note.

Any suggestions?

EDIT - ecard sent per MMs instructions

Tom,

I've never met Tom...though I'd like to someday. However I don't know if using "Indiana Tom" on the eCard will get to him. I'm not asking for personal info...but would like to send a note.

Any suggestions?
I wonder how many brain surgery patients they have named Tom Heverly (from PDsgt's edit to the original post) from Orleans, IN (according to his profile)?

Edit: Card sent.

I have updated the original post to include his last name and the link for the E-card.

Sorry for the confusion

Now THAT'S a story for another time and post. Right now that is certainly not a priority, but ...

...If you want, you can change your sig line and avatar settings by using "My Controls" at the top of the page, go to the left column under Personal Profile change your bike to "other or considering".

Then click on "Edit Signature" (in the left column) and type in 2008 R1200GS. That way it will come up at the bottom of your posts.