Insurance Quote

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FriscoJim

Reaction score
I might have to cancel my 2006 order - I just got quoted a $1700 increase over my current premium - I am paying $688 a year (full coverage) for a 2001 VStar 1100, a 2002 Roadstar and a 2002 Warrior - I told them I was going to be replacing the Warrior with the FJR and the quote cam back at $2,427. That's rediculous! Presently with Dairyland - she was going to double check and see if they had someone else they could write it with. By the way never had a claim - been riding for 35 years - no traffic tickets. Does that sound right?

Did they throw in a free jar of Vaseline? Make sure they know that the bike is 1298 cc's and has ABS. When my agent first asked me how many cc's I said 1300. When he shot me the price I damn near crapped a jumbo jet (copyright 2004, FatNakedGuy Productions, Inc.). I remembered a tidbit from before and said that the actual capacity is 1298 cc. Price dropped $300. Also, because this bike ain't out yet they have no experience with it and are prolly quoting you high as they did with me. I think I got quotes from 1,200 to 1,700, 6 months before taking delivery. I pay a tick over 600.

Insurance? what insurance? I've been riding for 35 years and I never had motorcycle insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
When shopping for insurance, I found American Family and State Farm to be the cheapest (for me).

Check out American Family first and tell them you have a “touring bike” with hard bags & abs if applicable. Then, try State Farm…although State Farm is known to be the cheapest, I do not recommend them. It’s nice State Farm only charges by the cc and not by the type of bike but, there have been some known issues with them not paying out. Good luck.

Frisco, I know exactly what you are talking about. I got a quote this afternoon from my insurance company on Long Island in NY and they quoted me $1745.00 a year for comp and collision. She told me that the good news was that because it is going to take so long for the bike to come in my DWI conviction should be off my record by then....Great! I thought....how much will it be then?? She said "no, $1745.00 is with a clean record, otherwise it would be 2400 and change". O.K......How much without comp and collision if I pay cash for the bike?? $460.00. Still alot when I pay only $145.00 on my VFR....Looks like I'm going to be self insuring myself.

Search the insurance threads for lots of information on this topic.

My 2 cents...keep shopping. I found the best deal with USAA who have my cars, house, life insurance, etc. They were outrageous with the R-1 and the FZ-1 but the FJR was almost cheap in comparison to the other companies. Wish Dairyland wrote for California!

tickets, claims, etc. (record)

stored in a locked garage in a single-family house.

all impact your premium. i'm with dairyland, have 100/300/50 in a relatively large city. 250 deductible on full coverage.

no tickets, no claims. $275 a year.

it started at $550. went down to $450 the next year. Then down to $375 when i noticed they had me listed as single. when asked, they said they thought i'd gotten divorced. they corrected it (to $275) and sent me the difference (for just that one premium).

Well I found out what the problem is - Dairyland doesn't have the 2006 FJR set-up in their system yet. I'm married with 35 years riding exp. no tickets, no claims, own home with locked garage, multi-bike discount and it prices out at $2,740 - I was at the dealer and they ran the quote - if we put a 2005 FJR (which they have in the drop-down) the premium drops to $423. Major difference - still more than my Warrior but I can live with that!

Also, because this bike ain't out yet they have no experience with it and are prolly quoting you high as they did with me. I think I got quotes from 1,200 to 1,700, 6 months before taking delivery.

Hmmm... I thought I suggested that?

I pay $74 a month for my GL1800/A and the quote I got for the FJR1300AE was another $60 a month. My coverage limits are 100/300/100 with a $250 deductible.

I have been with several insurance companies and I have always found State Farm to be the BEST if you have been with them - when you do need a claim, they process it fast & fair and you don't have to worry about your premium going up the next day like most other insurance companies.

Best Regards,

Shane

I got the same ridiculous prices when I ordered my 2005 FJR. Of course, the state you are in (physically, not mentally :blink: ) is a big factor, and I must assume by your name (FriscoJim) you are not in Texas. All prices I got were from $750 up (some were way up) until I checked with Foremost. With my excellent driving record and the Advanced Driving Course, I was able to get full coverage ($500 ded) for $450 the first year.

If you have been riding a while you probably already know this but I'll throw it in for those who may not. You do not have to carry medical on your bike if you already have medical insurance. I called and was quoted 319 for the legal minimum and 349 for the higher liability insurance, 39 years old, home owner, stored in garage, no tickets, no accidents. I have the quote at work, will shoot you the info tomorrow on the provider if you like.

Now, if you don't have your own separate health insurance this definately would not be for you. For folks that already have health insurance this can make a significant difference. Also, this has nothing to do with health insurance for your passenger or for anyone else involved in an accident, they are covered by your personal liability. Check with your insurance provider for more info.

JS

Two secrets to obtaining high performace bike insurance cheaply......

1. State Farm Insurance as they rate on CCs not on HP.....they don't know the differnce between a goldwing and a 1000XXX.

2. Pay cash and buy liablity only for $90\yr.

Good luck...

Your friendly Independent Insurance Agent

I found this too when shopping for an FJR (still considering one if I can find one to test ride). I've heard it before and beleive it that when insurance companies see the "R" in a bike's name they assume it's a race-type bike, like a GSXR, FZR, R1, CBR-RR, and they jack the rates. I received a quote of $995 a year on an 05 FJR where a Vstrom would be just 400. Both full coverage with 500 deductables and I have a clean record, and own my own house where the bike would be garaged. I'm going to wait until I get married in two weeks and call back for a quote since I know that affects the rates as well. Still though, companies seem to be basing their rates on the name rather than how many claims people file with this bike. Either that or a lot of guys are chucking FJRs down the road.

Mike

Somehow I have been the one in need of the vaseline compared to you guys...

I called not less than 7 companies for quotes, and all came in above $1300 annually!

I am married (for now), own a single family home where the bike is stored and have lived here for 10 years, am 34 yrs old, and a relatively clean record (no traffic convictions, but a few "Adjudications withheld"). ;)

I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL, so I guess that has something to do with it...

-BD