Is it weird, or uncommon for my age to want one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You like a nice bike , but many people get into too much debt early on . I would look at a second hand one ,you will enjoy it just as much and have it paid off faster ,insurance will be cheaper ( shop around ) if you drop it ( unlikely with your size ) you will not feel as bad. I would try saving 4 months of payments and insurance and see how you cope Money in the bank is a good thing when you are young ,imagine if you had an accident and could not work for three months .

Young Squire:

I'm moving up to the FJR this weekend from a Triumph Speedmaster (and a Harley, and a Honda). I'm doing so primarily to have a MC with more capability that's better suited for touring, especially 2-up (and I think I've had a secret hankering for a big, powerful Yamaha since the days of the XS-11, which goes back about 30 years).

Think about the advice offered here and ride well as well as riding safe, and I'm pretty sure you'll make a good decision.

And besides, at your age I couldn't even spell FJR..... :D

Don

here is what I mean about second hand it's from the classified section

I am going to have to sell one of my bikes due to some major knee problems.

2005 FJR

Tip over guards

Dark tinted + 4 Cee Bailey's windscreen

Stock screen

Throttle meister

Top case w/ 2 tone silver blue paint job

Shelf with XM bracket installed

Wired for radar detector to the dash

Shop manual and owners manual

Tank protector

Flashing accessory LED brake lights

Polished aluminum brake and clutch reservoir lids w/ tuning fok logo

Handlebar risers are installed

This machine has 700 miles on it from being brand new.

Asking price is $9,000.00 for this blue wonder bike.

I am bummed but cannot mount and dismount so it has to go. Wing may be next.

Flint [email protected]

1 307 257 7210

Northeast Wyoming

Fly in and ride it home?

Now that sound like a great buy for a bike with less than 1k .

:) Thanks for all the replies with support and advice!

I know it will still be a while till I go and grab one of these things for myself, I want to save money.

Like previously advised, i am already planning on saving some money for a few payments months ahead

that way I can have it and not worry about a bike or insurance payment for like 6 or so months and

worry about gear and extra stuff.. and.. cruising :D

So far all this week, I have just been drooling over pictures, reading opinions

from other people who have posted. I shouldnt have, but I also went into the accessories forum

and I got a little carried away day dreaming about all the cool extra stuff I would get

once I got my own bike :yahoo: I will have to stop though, my teenager side is coming out

and i cant focus on anything else :dribble: FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR FJR :dribble:

OH, yeah back to what i was saying, I wouldn't mind getting a used one, it would

be nice not having to wait out the break in, and it would be less life scarring to see a

brand new bike being dropped, but hopefully that will never happen! If I can, which I probably can,

I would still love to get a new 07, but i will have to look into it and be patient <_<

ooooooh, you older guys tricking us young easily fooled minds into thinking our pretty R1's and Gixxxers were cool

I bet you never thought one of us would find out about these beauties. :p

oooooooh back to day dreaming

or i guess sleeping,

apparently you need to

work for people for

these paychecks :huh:

you older guys figured that one out too

as soon as i crack your secret on code name operation "retirement"

the Y generation will control the world! :lol:

I have already looked into, when I check progressive it was only $180 something a month for good coverage
YIKES!

Like my Dad used to say, "Unless your a salesman, never say, 'only', and, 'money' in the same sentense." Do you have comparisons for other bikes to insure? Is it full replacement, full coverage, low deductible? Does it include UIM and PIP or is this for liability only?

Many of the folks around here pay for a years worth of the above, full coverage, for about what you'd be paying every 2 months.

and it would be less life scarring to see a brand new bike being dropped, but hopefully that will never happen! If I can, which I probably can
don't bet on it. parking lot drops happen to everyone sooner or later. mod one should be to buy good gear (jacket, boots, pants, helmet) that have abbraison and impact protection (expect it to set you back about $600 for such since a helmet is gonna be a couple a hundred and a good price on boots is about a buck and a half - and those are the "high zoot" models either). mod 2 should be to get some sliders for the bike (no not gut buster burgers - frame "mushrooms" to protect the plastic). A single drop can cost you a thousand bucks in plastic. I warned my SiL but he was "hopeful" and more than a little over confident when he got his Daytona 600 and opted for liability only (why pay them? it's a rip off). he then dropped it and continues to ride around with the rashed fairing and Micron cans because he doesn't want to spend the "thousand bucks" to fix things.

Last edited by a moderator:
he then dropped it and continues to ride around with the rashed fairing and Micron cans because he doesn't want to spend the "thousand bucks" to fix things.
Sounds like he saved money all around and I bet he's used to the rashed fairing by now. :lol:

just kidding...going liability only a new bike is really cutting your nose off to spite your face. Having a total loss of that amount of money would be a bummer and insurance companies total FJR's for really minor stuff.

You never said if you've taken the MSF course or not...DO THAT FIRST!

Even if you keep your present bike for a while. Ok, ESPECIALLY iof you ride at all!

I also have a Triumph Speedmaster, a Harley Softail Deuce, and a Suzuki Bandit 1200,

as well as my FJR.

Unfortunatley I have too many bikes for the space I have so the FJR has got to go...

The Bandit will just have to satisfy my speed urges for now..... ( maybe a dark cherry or a real red FJR later...<G>)

An alternative would be to buy a bigger engine bike (USED) like my naked (no fairings) Bandit and get used to a bit more power...

although it's only 98HP at the rear wheel it will wheelie in a 5 gears, it does not have the all the plastic and weights only 500lbs.

The FJR weighs 650 and all that plastic is VERY expensive to replace.

Also since you're under 25, your insurance payments ARE high!

6000 miles is only short ride for some of the posters here. Oh, maybe 2 weeks cause I ride slow, like from Cleveland to Napa and back ..BTDT

Get some more seat time. At least a year. You've still got a lot to learn about riding...

I've only been riding about 12 years but every ride I learn something different.

OH I do love my FJR, it's been lowered front and back with lots of farkles

and is actually the easiest bike to ride I've even been on...but it IS heavy, especially in parking lots trying to back up

and the laws of physics always win.

How many times have you dropped your 600? Add another 250 lbs.

And a whole lot of $$$ for the plastic.

Anyway, take the MSF couse, go practice for a year and get a used FJR next spring...

They'll be a bunch of nice used ones for sale cause guys will want the new 08's!

Good luck.

Mary

OK OK, so I'm a Dad and you can pidgeon-hole me in the "go-for-it, but buy used" group. A first generation Feejer (watch for a ticker) can be had for a purchase price and insurance that will hurt but be less crippling to you. Suggestion - FIRST buy all the protective gear. Consider another big/older bike (FJ1200?) without all the expensive plastic, but if you still want the Feejer this'll give you time to let the idea gel while you get used to paying out big bucks for the equipment needed for any bike. (ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time) If you strike out and hate this, so what? Sell it, try something else, and move on!

I started riding motorcycles a lot younger than you and you can make this work. But I do have a 17-year-old (& 31 & 20) in real life who is also my scuba buddy, and like you, he sounds more mature than your years.

But - - - every now and then my son does remind me that he's 17, usually when driving his car on back roads. Short on the years of experience thing, he now and then pushes gravity and friction, how to turn off the feelings of having just been screaming mad, and as you're enjoying a quick ride - when to suspect there's a kid on a bicycle stopped just around the next blind corner. So far he's been lucky and just collected plants from the outside of some corners, but this is one reason he doesn't have a street bike. Survival on motorcycles is a self-discipline. Straight-line, your friend on the Kaw won't have a chance, but can you control yourself beyond that?

Be aware of the price of the plastic in even low-speed falls, as buying new bits can be ruinous! I got in the habit to ALWAYS center-stand, as it'll push down through warm asphalt a lot easier than a lighter bike. The Feejer weight requires planning everything a little further ahead than your Kaw, be it a line through a corner, an off-slope driveway entrance for a u-turn, or every single intersection that you're about to ride through.

Additional for your thoughts: While the bike is regularly mistaken for a sport-bike (you will get attention of friends and girls), passengers LOVE the back seat more than on any rice-rocket. YOU can bring the soda and whatever else you want for a road-side break. You can leave your helmet and jacket in the bags when you go places. You can conveniently carry a passenger helmet. Maintenance is probably at least half-again what it costs for your Kaw. Figure tires at around $300 every 4000-5000 miles (this for planning, as your mileage WILL vary). On the up-side, my 2004 typically gets 48+ mpg unless in winter with the windshield up and in heavier traffic.

Bottom-line: If you don't break it, this should be a blast and a great bike for commuting all the way through college graduation. Good luck!

Bob

So I think for right now my plan is this. I will not being an FJR RIGHT now, what my plan is is to buy some saddle bags for my 650R So I can do some small trraveling easier, but also get used to a little extra weight on the back, maybe the starcom system thing so i cna use it and then put it on the fjr later. But my plan is too finish paying off my 650, then save up for a few months of the FJR's and insurance payments which will equal to about 6 months or so of normal payments. That way i will be free to not worry so much about it.

but you know... thats it in a nutshell

I speak from experience when I say that moving from a small displacement bike to the FJR is an "adjustment" to say the least. The FJR is a big heavy lanky beast! I'm a pretty large fellow, so I was able to handle it with brute force a couple of times until I learned how to handle it properly.
My previous bike was a 1984 Venture. The FJR feels pretty lightweight to me. Switched right over to my 750 Virago one time after riding the Venture and it felt like I was riding a mini-bike!!

As for when to buy one. Save up the entire price and walk in and pay cash. I wish I did that more myself but as the saying goes...do as I say...not as I do. I have paid cash enough times to know that it is a LOT of fun. It also helps get a better price. When you pull out a wad of cash people tend to start drooling and forget exactly how much they were asking for the whatever. Use the "I got this much right now cash.." ploy and you would be surprised at how quick folks will take a lot less than they originally wanted. They don't need to know you got the rest of the asking price in your other pocket.

You sound more level headed than my son...he's 28 going on 12...but saving up and paying cash will also help you apreciate the bike more. In a few years you won't have the "another payment due on that damn bike" syndrome. And it will give you the time that others have sugested to get some more miles under your belt.

And on the retirement secret.....start saving now. I'm 51 now and with the way I've been saving I figure that with some carefull planning and good money management I'll be able to retire when I'm 145. :blink:

oh..one last thing....DO get the FJR before you get married.....MUCH easier to get something like that when you don't have to justify it to an S.O. I had to use the old "The savings in gas alone would make up the payments on a new bike!!" ploy.

Ray

You know, for a quarter of the price of a new Feejer you could get a fairly clean Concours. Actually, your current 650 would probably pay for most of one a few years older. The Connie may not be as spiffy, new, or fast as the Feejer, but we have a number of forum members who've absolutely loved the things. The insurance and parts costs would also be minimal by comparison. Check out https://www.concours.org/

Bob

When I was 17, waiting to finish high school and enter the military, (1980) I had pretty much decided I wanted a Goldwing. I don't really remember why, exactly.

SO...after basic training and tech school, I found myself stationed in Arizona, riding a Yamaha R5 (forerunner to the RD350), and at the age of 18, there was absolutely no way I could pull it off on lowbie enlisted-guy money. The insurance hit on anything over 1,000cc's was equal to the bike payment.

Look for insurance before you go bike shopping, it may save you a lot of heartache.

Alright, so I am 17 years old, I turn 18 in may. I have been riding for about 3-4 months now have about 6 thousand miles on my current 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. I love riding, and I am so glad i got into it. Recently i have been riding too my mom's in sacramento from my dad's in san jose. It takes me about 3 and a half hours taking back roads(i take) or 2 hours from the freeway(dont take)
while riding I have seen many touring bikes and cruisers, and I have jsut been thinking about how much more comfortable they look, and how much more fun they are having traveling (packed backpack gets painful after a while)

I first got really interested when I saw the Kawasaki Concours14, but then fell in love when I looked at the FJR1300A, It is such a sexy bike. I reeaaaallly would like to get one. I am out of high school working full time planning on going to college this fall or early next year. But I would love to go travel a bit on one of these babies.

In your opinions, do you think somebody my age would like a bike like this. My riding buddy told me i was a traitor for considering one :| (he has the same bike as me but in red)

tell me everythiiiingggggg

:yahoo:

how fun

how long you can ride

mpg

girls checkin it out

sorry I wrote a novel btw
If the desire for more touring capability is driving you, and you're really not sure about an FJR, I'd suggest picking maybe three or four of the top contenders and work it out from there. If I could only have one bike in the garage, I'll be honest and say that it probably wouldn't be an FJR. In my first year of ownership on my 06', I've had three overnight, out of town trips. That's why I bought it. It offers a good compromise between touring and sport. That being said, I'm fortunate to have other ride options when I'm not trying to do lot's of miles quickly. If I couldn't get on something a little more sporting, and with a little more personality whenever I felt the need, I'd have to trade the FJR for something else. Truthfully, at your age I'd consider something like the Triumph Tiger, maybe a Honda VFR, Suzuki SV1000 etc. Each of these has a little more "attitude" and can still make a lot of miles in "relative" comfort. JMO

I think it is awesome you are considering a FJR. It is a hell of a bike and if you are putting in a lot of miles your back will thank you years from now. A buddy of mine just callde me and bought the new Kawasaki Concours 08 and wants to swap this weekend and asked me if I was interested? I said, HELL YYEEESSSS! Be safe!

Good to see you are thinking about the money situation,yes I am a DAD ,but I'm not YOUR dad ,so lisen to some dads they have made mistakes and are giving you advice from experence we have made mistake and just do not want you to repeat our mistakes .You sould like you are worried wether women will like an FJR ,my experence Women are not as sensative as we are ,any bike gets there attention ,then it's down to how your ride them and how you handle the bike.

You sould like you are worried wether women will like an FJR ,my experence Women are not as sensative as we are ,any bike gets there attention ,then it's down to how your ride them and how you handle the bike.
It's not the size of the bike, but the way it's ridden... :glare:

At 17 years old, if you get the FJR, we're gonna read about you in the paper, aren't we? That would be because, due to your FJR, as already mentioned, the MILF's will look at you and the young girls won't. But that means you will end up nailing your teacher, and that my friend will make national news!

I hope she's as hot as Ms. Miller was from my high school days! That would have been worth it!!!