Is Sturgis Worth Seeing? (The Area, not the Rally)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
First of all, sorry if I posted in the wrong section--though I will be doing my ride on an FJR. :) "Ride Planning" made sense, but I didn't want only California types to respond, ya know? Anyhow, I think I'd like to get farther east this summer than on any of my previous ride/camp trips. See places like Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, the Badlands, the Black Hills, and Sturgis. Really don't care about the rally or any of the hoopla around it, except negatively, meaning I'd go well out of my way to avoid it.

Still, a recent show I was watching showed some of the surrounding country, and it looked pretty ride-worthy. So if you've been out that way, what do you think? Are the places I mentioned worth the price of the flat miles east of the Rockies to get to them? All of them? Some of them? Good camping along the way? Certainly plenty of good stuff getting there that I wouldn't mind seeing again, like doing the Bear Tooth again, from the top down this time. Your thoughts?

I've yet to do this Mike, but everyone I know who has say's it's well worth the trip...

Sturgis while the tomfoolery is happening? No..

Janet and I rode through the area after NAFO this year. There is a lot of good riding and scenery. I would definitley go back, but not during Stugis. Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Iron Mt Highway, Needles Highway, Custer State Park just to name a few things worth seeing and doing. We saw more wildlife in Custer SP than Yellowstone. The only downer was the temperature. Rapid City hit a new record of 107 the day were were riding the area. OOf!

I know we drove past MANY campgrounds. We were doing hotels. There are a butt-ton of those too. I didn't mention the Badlands. They are a good little poke east of Rapid City, but offer some really interesting landscapes. I thought it would be all the same, but it varies greatly.

Janet and I rode through the area after NAFO this year. There is a lot of good riding and scenery. I would definitley go back, but not during Stugis. Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Iron Mt Highway, Needles Highway, Custer State Park just to name a few things worth seeing and doing. We saw more wildlife in Custer SP than Yellowstone. The only downer was the temperature. Rapid City hit a new record of 107 the day were were riding the area. OOf!
I did the Crazy Horse, Rushmore and Badlands run a few years ago. Reccomend all three for sure. Lots of great 2 lane out that way. Don't know about camping, but I did see a Flintstones themed campground along the way ( https://www.flintstonesbedrockcity.com/ ) Also, if your into the tourist kitchy thing, check out Wall Drug Store off of I 90 on the way to the Badlands.

Yes I would like to go. Like you I have not been. I would do this in the first three weeks in June to beat the heat and include Bear Tooth Pass which does not open until June 1 or so.

Yeah yeah I know I have not been there so what do I know - hell I will ride anyplace last least once. Actually there have been some good write-up in the national mags in the past so I would like to check it out.

I did the Crazy Horse, Rushmore and Badlands run a few years ago. Reccomend all three for sure. Lots of great 2 lane out that way. Don't know about camping, but I did see a Flintstones themed campground along the way ( https://www.flintstonesbedrockcity.com/ ) Also, if your into the tourist kitchy thing, check out Wall Drug Store off of I 90 on the way to the Badlands.
Unless you want to hit the suggested Wall Drug avoid the big slab and take 44 out of Rapid City. You get to go through more of the park that way. Unless, of course, you were inclined to come back that way.

I think it'd be really cool to see the badlands. Just kewl all over. In fact, I think it's be so cool that it may be too cold to check out. Then again....who knows. Still, though....it would be cool.

Ya gotta see this

24.jpg

and this

26.jpg

Plan a NERDS run and see this on the way?

I made a quick run thru after the first NAFO and thought to my self that I need to spend a few days there and see the sites. I'm hoping for a early Sept ride there and back would be good. Take four days getting there, three or four days there and four or five days home, Of course always taking the longer twisty way there and back!

I've been there twice, once in 2004 and 2007.

First time was the week of the rally, very crowded bikes everywhere.

In 07' we went the week before the rally,not crowded saved money on just

about everything including room stay. Went to all the great spots Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, the Badlands, the Black Hills.

Again know crowds and a dozen bikes in the parking lot at above.

There are outstanding area's to ride there,and also enjoy and remember the ride there and home.

Go for it,suggest you get online and or phone for reservations.

Don't forget your camera,there's lots to shout.

Have a good time.

Go for it Mike,

Blackhills, Iron Mountain Rd, Spearfish Canyon Rd are don't misses.

Badlands have to see 'em to believe 'em.

Wall Drug, everybody should visit once (nickel cup'O coffee)

Devil's Tower, very cool.

Sturgis, nothing to see there, keep going.

The first time I rode up to that area (from Phoenix in 1976) and camped the whole time was an awesome experience. Didnt go during the rally time so not near as crowded anywhere in the area. I've been back a few times and still enjoy the Black Hills general area.

Went back to the rally in 2011 and can't wait to go back. Not during the rally. The scenery is great when not disturbed by flocks of pirates going by every few seconds. During the rally all of the services are overrun and traffic is a bitch. I'm glad I did the rally but will go back with my wife at another time of year.