Is this a record?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilveradoSlick

Reaction score
Is 2 '05s a record?

I was waiting for pics from the wife before posting but I've given up, so here goes. Wife and I are on the FJR headed from Telluride, CO towards Cortez, followed by my buddy on my old Concours. Wearing rain gear 'cause there was rain in the pass we just came down. Underneath that we're wearing Sliders jeans; she's wearing a fabric and leather jacket and I'm wearing perforated leather. Now it's dry and beautiful. Were following a line of traffic led by a motorhome and a couple of trucks going about 60. We're staying in line because my buddy hasn't been riding for close to 20 years and he's feeling a little bushed. Wife has been pointing out sunflowers along the road. I'm pointing to the left and saying that somebody's got a really nice patch of sunflowers, on trellises and big as all get out.

"Charles, stop!" I hear tires squealing and the car in front is now damned near stopped. I grab a big handfull of front brake and head for the shoulder 'cause I'm not sure if I can stop in time. The front end washes out and down we go. The bike spins two or three times and hits the car in front while we slide off onto the shoulder. The wife is a much better asphalt surfer than I and gets about twice my distance. I get the wind knocked out of me and do some deep breathing exercises before getting up and going over to the wife, who's sitting up by now.

Were both pretty much OK. She ground through one glove into her ring and middle finger and I did some work on my wrist where the glove and the jacket separated. The gloves were fabric rain gloves with plastic and faux leather armor. She had hit her head at one point but her helmet did its duty and mine saved me from a nose job. The rain gear, gloves, and her boots are not salvagable, but other than some aches and pains and the abrasions we're doing pretty good, good enough to decline medical treatment. The FJR, however, is beyond saving.

The tow truck hauled us to Cortez. In the morning my buddy and I rode over to Durango to rent a car for the ride home. He and I took turns on the Connie, so I got some saddle time on the truly beautiful ride through Capitol Reef, Escalante, Bryce, and Zion. Catherine stayed in the car. She's always said she wouldn't ride with me again if I dumped her. She's still deciding if she's going to keep her word. I was planning on selling the Connie after this trip. If she's going to ride with me again I'd like to get another FJR, but if not maybe I'll just keep the Connie. I do believe that if I get another FJR it's going to have ABS.

Would the ABS have possibly saved the situation? Or is it maybe better if you drive? I mean, 2 of 'em?

Last edited by a moderator:
DA-UM Charles I'm glad you and wifey are ok..................................way to many recent get off events. Spooky!! :eek: Post piccys of the armor, it's good to know you both had it on ATGATT

Glad you're both OK, Charles. :blink: :yahoo:

I concur about the ABS. That is one of the main reasons I got my 06 FJR. One day ABS on bikes will be at least as common as ABS on cages.

Charles, I'm REALLY GLAD to hear both you and Catherine are OK. If you end up going for round 3 on an FJR, I highly suggest ABS. If you find an '06, they all come standard that way now.

Without seeing what happened and based upon your description, it does sound like ABS would have helped you keep it upright.

Its great you are both OK.

Why did the car stop?

I almost did the same thing today with the exception of I was in a big Chevy Dually loaded with my skidsteer, concrete and pipe on a trailer. For some damn reason the car ahead of me STOPPED on the freeway and put it in reverse to pull to the shoulder :eek: . No car ahead of him and no trash in the road! I have a car riding on my side so I can't swing around. I am hard on the brakes but it takes a while to slow that much weight down from 70. The car next to me is braking as well keeping me from pulling in behind him IF ONLY he had only maintained his speed. I am riding my horn and Nudging the car to my side to his shoulder. By the time I passed the idiot he is halfway to the shoulder (still backing up!) and I am halfway into the other lane! It got my adrenaline going! I can only imagine your For real get-off :(

Again heal up and be the test dummies for the new connie!

Glad you both are okay SS. Definitely time for the ABS. I'm sure you've already kicked yourself for watching the flowers instead of the road. I think I'd hang it up for a while if I had 2 get-off's w/in a year. Break out the Advil and peroxide.

Glad you are both okay and didn't suffer anything too bad. If I crashed twice in a year, I'd be really anxious to get on the bike again. I'm with you, get another FJR if the wife will ride with you. If not, get a new Kawi 14 :)

Charles, Catherine --------------------------- :(

So glad you are both OK though.

I can't pass judgement as I do the same myself. My first down (bike was barely 3 weeks old) was a combination of changing lanes - being too close to the truck I hit - and looking down momentarily at my shiny new Liquid Silver gas tank :lol:

Glad you are both okay and didn't suffer anything too bad. If I crashed twice in a year, I'd be really anxious to get on the bike again. I'm with you, get another FJR if the wife will ride with you. If not, get a new Kawi 14 :)
GT or Connie ? :D

Psssst! Get the ABS.

Damn! Sure glad to hear you and the missus are ok for the most part.

ABS. From your description, no doubt ABS would have prevented or at least mitigated your wreck. ABS would have prevented my high side 16 months ago. Would have made not a bit of difference in my more recent act of stupidity.

Questions: How fast were you going when the front end washed out? What type of surface did you lock the front tire on? Asphalt? Gravel shoulder?

Just wondering about more of the particulars. So how does your buddy feel about riding after witnessing your asphalt surfacing?

Glad you're OK...

ABS is a good thing... There are a few good deals around on slightly used 06's...

I know for a _FACT_ if I dump my wife she's not getting back on.

My wife rides with me and would be amazed if we went down. But I think she would still ride with me. So happy that your both with minor injuries. Things happen fast...

ABS. From your description, no doubt ABS would have prevented or at least mitigated your wreck. ABS would have prevented my high side 16 months ago. Would have made not a bit of difference in my more recent act of stupidity.
Actually, it would have. We are talking about the Anti Ballistic System, are we not?

Latest posts