Is this the next helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes technology is good, sometimes it is bad.
Sometimes I feel it would be great just taking a trip on a bike with 650cc, spokes, 4 speeds, single front disc, rear drum brakes, speedometer, tach, and a 4 gallon gas tank, no itinerary...and see how it all comes out.
You just described my 89 Honda Transalp, and it comes out wonderfully.

As much as a helmet like this would be kinda neat, I'm thinking that the next new thing in helmets oughta be a mixture of two technologies that we already have. I'd love to see somebody design a helmet around some quality ear phones, rather than trying to stuff cheap speakers inside the helmet after it's designed. They know how to design quality headphones, they know how to design quality helmets. Why can't somebody give us both? Doesn't seem like rocket science to me... and it oughta be a lot more practical and affordable.
Gary
An excellent idea. But I think I know why it is not being done by the helmet manufacturers: In many states in the US it is illegal to have two ear phones / ear speakers running into your ears while operating a vehicle (reference). The laws typically do not differentiate between MC riders (who would ordinarily be wearing earplugs anyway) and automobile drivers.

As for a heads-up display, interestingly there was a report on this morning's news about a California lady that was cited for distracted driving because she was wearing a Google Glass while driving. The charges were dismissed on appeal, setting a minor precedent in that state at least, but it seems that there is some legislation trending towards making heads up displays illegal too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m guessing that individuals are going to demonstrate quite varied reactions to heads up helmet displays. During my years as a flight instructor and as a weapons instructor I discovered that we humans vary tremendously in how our brains process optical information.

An instrument scan sequence that works splendidly for one pilot will have another on his back and spinning in a matter of minutes. It took me quite a while to work out a series of simple tests that would tell me which way a student’s brain processed what he/she was seeing in order to offer them the appropriate scanning sequence. A friend of mine who spent quite a while as an F-16 instructor at Luke AFB mentioned that there are some guys, quite intelligent, adept at math, good readers, who simply can’t deal with all that “stuff” in front of their faces from a HUD and have to find something else to fly.

A splendid development for rifles over the last few years has been the electronic or “red dot” sight: A device that sits atop the rifle in the position one would expect to find a conventional scope. It has a window the shooter looks through and a red dot presents itself imposed upon the target. It’s a zero-parallax gizmo, requiring no particular alignment of other references. This means that one can bring the rifle up to firing position with both eyes open. Wherever the red dot is, that’s where the round is going. It makes for astonishingly short times from the decision to fire to the round arriving where intended. The issue of course is that electronic gizmos can fail; and backup iron sights are a good option. In my own case, having an iron front sight sticking up in the electronic sight window is no problem at all. I simply ignore it and go about my business putting holes where they belong. But, put a rear iron sight into the picture and all I see is optical chaos and it takes me forever to sort things out and get a round off. There are other guys who have no problem whatsoever with both front and rear iron sights cluttering things up and exhibit a “What the hell is wrong with you” reaction to my inability to get with the program. And there are yet other guys who, attempting to deal with anything other than the clear electronic sight picture, can end up with something resembling a migraine.

In all my helmets I use Viasalerts, a little 1.25” X 0.5” LED device that wirelessly notifies me that the radar detector has sniffed something. It doesn’t bother me one little bit to have it sitting right in front of my right eye while riding. I simply don’t see it unless it starts blinking. My GF, on the other hand, can’t stand the thing. It makes her nuts as she’s always having to look “around” it. And she’s a very accomplished pilot.

So, will HUD’s be well received by the riding public? I’m convinced that will depend on just which member of the riding public you ask.

Regardless of what a company wants to call its product, what we are talking about here (especially as we compare to the aviation world) isn't a HUD at all but a helmet display (JHMCS is the popular navy, marine corps, and air force fighter device). An example of a HUD in our world, in my view, is mounting a GPS up on a dashboard and have some display or interaction with other systems you scan like RPM and speed.

While there are certainly those that are not HUD adaptable, the percentage is small. Individuals that can scan altitude, airspeed, attitude, AOA, wingman can almost always do it better on one device with less eyeball travel. The military test pilot schools figured this out in the 70's. That isn't to say there isn't some build up time to be as proficient if you are used to steam gauges. Of course there are exceptions.

Helmet mounted cueing systems and displays are just plain awesome. If you already can handle digital readouts in one place, having it available to focus on in your field of view is very sweet. They used to teach military pilots to "blank" the screen if it get overwhelming to the process of aviating, navigating, and communicating. They also had a syllabus to get you used to flying with JHMCS. After a few years, it became very evident that a one hour flight was about all that was needed to ensure safety.

If the interfaces are right, I'm very stoked about this technology. I think it will be 3 years before it is right.

Ion- please link to the five other threads.

Interesting…we are becoming the thing we gripe about, and with the same excuses. Cage drivers are distracted on their phones, playing with the stereo, looking at GPS, playing with the trip computers or settings for their cars. And, we have the same excuses, "I can handle it." I enjoy technology, but there are limits. Flying (I was a glider pilot), you have room to maneuver if you always allow air space. I could glance at GPS, and not worry that I was going to get sideswiped by a tow plane that had been hidden in a side street. Maybe you will have to be licensed on new technology before you can use it, like instrument flying. Not sure if anyone saw a news story about plane crashes while landing. A lot was be attributed to pilots not having the experience to land a plane without the aids. Found it interesting in light of the aids they want to give cars, lane alerts, car pulling out alerts….what happens when cage drivers depend on those aids and they are not working?

Unfortunately, I have ridden with guys that claim "they can handle the power" of their bikes, to watch them get out of shape and over power into a high side. We all have our opinions of our capabilities, and then what they are. Some people are accurate, most I know are not. Having just survived t boning a van I that first and foremost, my helmet needs to protect me.

I find as a group, the ride itself does is not enough for most riders I meet……so to make it better, and to keep entertained, they need more and more things. Have no doubts this helmet will come to fruition, just will be interesting to see how many riders can actually use the technology, and use it to be a better rider, not just entertained or as a bragging right.

And, as Dennis Miller use to say "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
smile.png

I’m guessing that individuals are going to demonstrate quite varied reactions to heads up helmet displays. During my years as a flight instructor and as a weapons instructor I discovered that we humans vary tremendously in how our brains process optical information.
Thank you, sir. That was a fascinating read and very appropriate to the subject.

Interesting…we are becoming the thing we gripe about, and with the same excuses. Cage drivers are distracted on their phones, playing with the stereo, looking at GPS, playing with the trip computers or settings for their cars. And, we have the same excuses, "I can handle it." I enjoy technology, but there are limits. Flying (I was a glider pilot), you have room to maneuver if you always allow air space. I could glance at GPS, and not worry that I was going to get sideswiped by a tow plane that had been hidden in a side street. Maybe you will have to be licensed on new technology before you can use it, like instrument flying. Not sure if anyone saw a news story about plane crashes while landing. A lot was be attributed to pilots not having the experience to land a plane without the aids. Found it interesting in light of the aids they want to give cars, lane alerts, car pulling out alerts….what happens when cage drivers depend on those aids and they are not working?
Unfortunately, I have ridden with guys that claim "they can handle the power" of their bikes, to watch them get out of shape and over power into a high side. We all have our opinions of our capabilities, and then what they are. Some people are accurate, most I know are not. Having just survived t boning a van I that first and foremost, my helmet needs to protect me.

I find as a group, the ride itself does is not enough for most riders I meet……so to make it better, and to keep entertained, they need more and more things. Have no doubts this helmet will come to fruition, just will be interesting to see how many riders can actually use the technology, and use it to be a better rider, not just entertained or as a bragging right.

And, as Dennis Miller use to say "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
smile.png
Well, if you're wrong, we're both wrong because I agree
wink.png

I agree with Akjitsu.

It would be great if each rider (and driver) could honestly and accurately assess his own capabilities and not exceed them. However, that will never happen. I get nervous when my wife is driving because she allows herself to be distracted by so many things around her that are not specific to the task of driving. She thinks she is doing just fine and I have learned to keep quiet in those few occasions when I get in the passenger seat of her car.

In group rides, I have noticed the same thing. Some riders allow them selves to be distracted by various things while others ficus more on riding., regardless of how many things are on the bike or in the environment that can be a distraction.

Personally, I have missed turns on the Interstate because I refused to take my eye off of traffic and glance at my GPS.

Based on that, I'd say that heads-up displays will actually help some riders focus better on the road while distracting others.

I got an email today from Skully in regard to being a Beta tester. I think they are saying "thanks, but don't call us, we'll call you":

"Welcome B________H,

Skully would like to thank you for applying to beta test the Skully AR-1, the world's first augmented reality motorcycle helmet. We sincerely appreciate your support and dedication to making the roads safer for riders everywhere. By applying to beta test the AR-1, you have taken the first step toward revolutionizing an industry.

We are constantly reviewing beta applications, and will notify selected riders on a rolling basis beginning in February. Riders can increase their visibility in the selection process by sharing Skully on Facebook and Twitter. For your reference, we have updated the FAQ on our website to address the most commonly asked questions surrounding the AR-1. The FAQ can be found here. If you don't see your question, please feel free to email us at [email protected].

Welcome to the ride.

Sincerely,

Marcus Weller, Ph.D.
Chairman & CEO | SKULLY HELMETS INC."

Haha...I think they are saying you're still in the running, but you have to promote them publicly before they'll consider considering you. I didn't even get an email, and I don't do FB or Twitter, so I'm prolly out. Good luck!!

EDIT: I found it. It was in my SPAM box. Haha....Still not gonna hold my breath!

Haha...I think they are saying you're still in the running, but you have to promote them publicly before they'll consider considering you. I didn't even get an email, and I don't do FB or Twitter, so I'm prolly out. Good luck!!

EDIT: I found it. It was in my SPAM box. Haha....Still not gonna hold my breath!
Same here on all counts. It was also in my SPAM folder. I tried Facebook because I had friends who urged me to. i kept getting friend requests from people I hadn't seen in decades and didn't even like them much back then.
rolleyes.gif

Not holding my breath either.

I got the same email. I don't feel so special now after seeing all you goobers got one too!

Haha...I think they are saying you're still in the running, but you have to promote them publicly before they'll consider considering you. I didn't even get an email, and I don't do FB or Twitter, so I'm prolly out. Good luck!!EDIT: I found it. It was in my SPAM box. Haha....Still not gonna hold my breath!
Same here on all counts. It was also in my SPAM folder. I tried Facebook because I had friends who urged me to. i kept getting friend requests from people I hadn't seen in decades and didn't even like them much back then. :rolleyes:

Not holding my breath either.
If I haven't talked to someone for 20 years, there's a reason!!

Haha...I think they are saying you're still in the running, but you have to promote them publicly before they'll consider considering you. I didn't even get an email, and I don't do FB or Twitter, so I'm prolly out. Good luck!!EDIT: I found it. It was in my SPAM box. Haha....Still not gonna hold my breath!
I got the same email. I don't feel so special now after seeing all you goobers got one too!
Trust us...You're "special."

If you normally scan something 30, 40, 60 (likely) degrees off axis and now put it in a helmet (in your FOV), it will be safer. The science has already been done on this. No self assessment necessary.

You know? That beta testing program is pretty danged clever. You announce the program, get a bunch of people to sign up, then you respond and tell them that they'll be given extra consideration if they'll get on Twitter and Facebook and help promote the product. Now you've got a few thousand people out there chatting the product up hoping to get a free helmet, and all it cost the manufacturer is a few helmets.

I didn't read "get extra consideration" into it but whatever. I damn sure ain't gonna sign up to facebook and the like so I can get consideration, increase my visibility, etc. If they want an honest opinion of comfort and functionality they'll give me one to test. If they want free pre-production advertising by people who will play their game and kiss their collective asses, they'll give it to someone else. It ain't that important to me, find someone else's nose to poke up your butt.

I didn't read "get extra consideration" into it but whatever. I damn sure ain't gonna sign up to facebook and the like so I can get consideration, increase my visibility, etc. If they want an honest opinion of comfort and functionality they'll give me one to test. If they want free pre-production advertising by people who will play their game and kiss their collective asses, they'll give it to someone else. It ain't that important to me, find someone else's nose to poke up your butt.
I may have misinterpreted the sentence "Riders can increase their visibility in the selection process by sharing Skully on Facebook and Twitter." But no, once I figured out how to get off Facebook, I ain't goin' back ... LOL