It's A Ticking!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every FJR made has had the same fuel requirements: 87 octane US.
Frankly, it really doesn't make any sense that there would be correlation with fuel grade and type. Ticking and detonation realy have nothing to do with one another.

Finally, it has been shown over and over that dealers say REALLY stupid things.

- Mark
Yeah, dealers do say stupid things! As for a correlation, seeing that higher octane fuel burns slower rate than lower octane, maybe errosion from unburned fuel (premiom) might be a contributing factor by washing out any lubrication in the guides. Just a thought, but I'm sure someone has thought of that already.

I have an 05 with 3000 miles on it.
IF it's ticking, it has to be the earliest ticker on record. I'd ride it til it has oil dripping out the exhaust.
Ooooohhhhh, I dunno! At 1000 miles, my '05 was noticeably noisier than my '04. At 2500 miles, even more. The night before our "Peak-to-Peak" ride to WFO-4, there were 4 FJRs in my garage. I started mine (@ 6400 miles) and the valve train is "rattly", and I can hear the faint "rap-rap-rap" of 1 valve. Everyone else wasn't sure until we started Rogerfaster's bike (parked right next to mine--about 18" apart)and his is silent, by comparison. Others who have had the tick repaired have told me my bike sounds just like theirs did at that mileage.

I'd be as careful about saying some can't hear a ticker at low mileage as I am about those who say theirs is a ticker, but may not be.

Just my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
My 05' is definately ticking louder and louder and more frequently. I could easily hear it while riding (around 2000-3000 rpm with light load) the first couple of times I rode. Now with 1200 miles, it is clear. It goes away only when accelerating harder. I am to the point where I am trying ride in a manner to make the noise stop as it is embarrasing in town (Harley guys are thinking... what a piece of crap!).

Thanks for all the great info. Once it starts raining regularly, I am going to take it to the dealer and ask what this strange top end noise is.

I love the FJR but this sure makes me wish Honda made something similar.

Well over 17000 miles on my 05 in one year of ownership, took out the automotive stethescope this weekend (1/2" diameter wood dowel, about 3' long) and listened carefully to all 4 cylinders at the exhaust pipe connection. No difference in sound between any cylinders at idle or 2500 rpm, hot and cold engine. I have the YES just in case, but I'm thinking I got through without the tick.

Well over 17000 miles on my 05 in one year of ownership, took out the automotive stethescope this weekend (1/2" diameter wood dowel, about 3' long) and listened carefully to all 4 cylinders at the exhaust pipe connection. No difference in sound between any cylinders at idle or 2500 rpm, hot and cold engine. I have the YES just in case, but I'm thinking I got through without the tick.
A year of ownership with my 05 also with 17,900 miles passing under its wheels and I don't have a tick.

I bought the "YES" program from D&H, just in case."

Aside from the ticking, I wonder how many owners had a problem which went beyond the noise, i.e., oil leaking from exhaust, power loss, etc. I'm reading a lot about the noise but darned little about oil leaks and power loss.

I am a new owner of an 04 which has gone beyond the warranty period by a few months and am a little concerned I may get stuck holding the snipe bag if my bike develops a tick, which it hasn't at 4500 miles....yet!

Can a YES be purchased on a bike slightly out of the 1 year warrantyu period. Will a dealer sell me one????

Other than what I've read about regarding this problem, I absolutely love the bike. A huge postive difference from my last on, a Connie.

Bob

Frank has been absolutely defect free from day one, with 12,000 on him now. No noises that weren't designed in, no leaks, no ticks, nada. Sterring head bearings well greased, driveshaft and u-joint ditto, upon first inspection. Bags installed right, loctite on screws. As good as it can get, both from a reliability and factory defect standpoint, as well as dealer prep. I would think that this is the rule, rather than the exception. Shit shines, and this place iilustrates that as well as any brand/model enthusiasts platform. Most don't tick, so take heart, it's likely that your's won't either.

justet pulled it in the garage right side of engine is ticking 6700 miles . well i am waiting on the tires to be delivered to bike shop should be there friday i let them take a look see . and i will post whats up .

If its the right side, its not "The Tick". So I wouldn't be too worried. At 6700 miles you shouldn't be having any problems with the cam chain tensioner either.

Sure its not just some normal noise, like the fuel injectors?

16,600 miles on my '05 and I just took it to the dealer yesterday to have them listen to a definitely ticking bike.

Both the Service Manager and Tech agreed it is not a "normal" sound and only coming from the left side. Neither had heard of this issue before but had on the R1's.

They are calling Yamaha today to see how to proceed. Stand by for more info.

Mike,

That sucks... I'd like to come over and hear it some time as a point of reference. I don't think mine is ticking... but I've only got 8K miles on it.

What Yamaha place did you take it to?

The owners manual states you can run any gas you like, even an ethanol blend! It would be nice if the shop techs actually read these things.

Well over 17000 miles on my 05 in one year of ownership, took out the automotive stethescope this weekend (1/2" diameter wood dowel, about 3' long) and listened carefully to all 4 cylinders at the exhaust pipe connection.  No difference in sound between any cylinders at idle or 2500 rpm, hot and cold engine.  I have the YES just in case, but I'm thinking I got through without the tick.
It ain't over until the fat ticker, tick's!!

I have 27K on my 05 and I still keep an ear close to the cylinder head.

Well fellas I think I might have a ticker.

I've tried to think that the noises were normal engine noises but here lately they have become more pronounced.My bike has over 23000 miles and it rattles pretty good between 2500-3000 rpm's,and seems to always be there in that range.

I've got the YES warranty and plan to take the bike in to a local dealer soon.

I've got a question to anybody with a documented ticker,I've got a pc111 on my bike, should I take it off to avoid shit from the dealer when they inspect the bike?

I've just come back from a weekend trip on theBRP and the bike doesn't seem to have lost any power.I just bought an 00 VFR for fun guess I'll need it to keep my sanity while I try to resolve this bullshit with the FJR.

I've got a question to anybody with a documented ticker,I've got a pc111 on my bike, should I take it off to avoid shit from the dealer when they inspect the bike?
YES!

No question there... definitely remove the PCIIIusb prior to taking the bike to your dealer.

YES!

No question there... definitely remove the PCIIIusb prior to taking the bike to your dealer.
Why?

I thought the PCIII did not affect warranty issues.

The reason I ask is I have an issue that may require warranty work from a dealer, so I may have to remove mine too. I would not have done so until your above statement. Clarification pulease.

YES!

Why?
To preclude even the most *remote* chance of a Yammy Regional rep from using it as a way to deny warranty work. It's (relatively) easy to remove, and replace after the bike is back home.

As anyone who has been following how Cypress has been handling this Ticking issue over the years knows, why take any chances. You may have an excellent rapport with your Service Manager, but he is at the mercy of his Regional representative.

It's simply just plain good headwork to remove any mods prior to returning the bike to the dealership for warranty work, that's all. Especially if the mod impacts the systems you're trying to make a warranty claim upon.

Thanks. Excellent advice and reasoning and seems to be the prudent thing to do, however...........

It really pisses off the stubborn asshole part of me that I now have to remove it when I really shouldn't have to.

Hopefully, I can fix the problemo myself, or, with a little help from the forum. Want to see if I can figure it out myself first, so more to follow.