It's Home (New 08 AE)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyUSN

Reaction score
Been on this forum for a year, till now just reading without an application.

Sold my VStrom (Thanks to an forum member here), and bought my new 08AE all within an hour yesterday.

Rode the FJR home (Tulsa to OKC), and even with the rain, I loved the ride! Even got to make good use of the auto clutch while stuck in the OU football game traffic at the end of my trip home. First gear traffic for a few miles, and could have been sipping coffee.

My only real issue... Throttle wrist pain, mainly at the base of the thumb. The Wee Strom with it's dual purpose bars, and seat position never caused this problem. First remedy will be adding grip puppies to beef up the size of the grips. As someone mentioned in another post, these grips feel like a #2 pencil coming from grip puppies.

I don't feel like the bars need to come back much of at all. Risers and the stock adjustments should fit my needs. All this will wait till I work on posture, and adjust to the new ride. Ultimately I will make this bike work for me, even if I have resort to ape hangers :rolleyes:

Bought my first farkle a few minutes ago, some OES frame sliders. I know the seat and the windscreen are common upgrades, but coming from the VStrom, they are such an upgrade!

I am also looking for a good Y.E.S warranty sales person.

Happy to be posting as an owner.. OK, back to reading and shopping!

Scotty,
Congratulations! Here are some links that may help you out with the Throttle Spring:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=220804

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=18322

Don't forget, you can change the sweep on your handlebars.

Here is a great place to get your Y.E.S. for about $389

D&H Cycle, 18115 US Hwy 31, Cullman, AL 35058, 256-739-1840, 888-553-3311

Many Happy Smiles & Miles to ya....
Thanks for the info! My early bar adjustment plans were to do the 1 inch up riser with the factory sweep adjustment to back setting (assuming the risers don't disable the ability to move the sweep back)?

Ya I know... But totally crap weather the past 28 hours. No to mention we've all seen a bone stock FJR!

Picture will follow.

Welcome from a fairly new 08AE owner in Florida.

I have added the Throttlemeister to help on the long stretches and it works great.

bigjimbiker

Scotty,
Congratulations! Here are some links that may help you out with the Throttle Spring:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=220804

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=18322

Don't forget, you can change the sweep on your handlebars.

Here is a great place to get your Y.E.S. for about $389

D&H Cycle, 18115 US Hwy 31, Cullman, AL 35058, 256-739-1840, 888-553-3311

Many Happy Smiles & Miles to ya....
Thanks for the info! My early bar adjustment plans were to do the 1 inch up riser with the factory sweep adjustment to back setting (assuming the risers don't disable the ability to move the sweep back)?
Congrats on a great bike!

I bought my bike used and it had risers on it which allows each side of the handlebars to be moved independently within the physical constraints of the windshield and tank. Allows a lot of adjustment but is difficult to align both sides the same. Could not tell who the manufacturer is though. Not being familiar with a stock setup, it made following the service manual instructions a bit dicey. LOL

Welcome from the deep south from a fellow squid (well, flying squid)...

Congrats on the '08...make sure your dealership included the soft inner bags, extra lock for a Yammy trunk, and get back the missing clutch lever.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I did inspect to ensure the bags and spare keyed lock were present at the sale (Thanks to this forum).

It's funny that my left hand was not so confused Saturday when I initially got on the bike to ride home. I guess cuz I was putting a lot of thought into (shift-no clutch, shift no clutch). Now that it's some what second nature, my left hand reaches out for a clutch naturally.

frame sliders on the way. The 5 HP gain reflective stickers on the way... Grip puppies will added tonight. All other ergo farkles on hold till I have more flight time under my belt.

I can definately see a bigger screen (for winter riding only) in my near future.

Very interested in doing the throttle spring adjustment. I just have the visions of being the guy who's spring does not catch after the released spin occurs. Trying to think of a fail safe stop for the spring after one spin.

I'm a guy who loves to farkle. I will read up on it, but early thoughs is a power commander is really not needed if I do not do air in - air out mods on the 2008? But opinions very welcome.

I already really miss my Givi top box (Had a V46 on the Strom). I see that being added soon. Not to mention my daughter felt very comfortable riding with it on.

Big Jim, I reallly expect I will add the ThrottleMeister and do the throttle spring adjustment. Don't expect to Use the ThrottleMeister a lot, but can see where being able to shake my right hand/wrist for a few seconds at a time will cut down on stops over a long ride.

High Country.. That was my concerns with the risers. Not going to pull the trigger on that adjustment till I have rode the stock config longer.

Patriot. I am (was) a Flying Squid as well (TACAMO Comm's) All of my sea time over 20 years was aircrew. I still work for the Wing here as a contractor.

Silver, Thanks for taking the time to provide the links. Spent a lot of time in the (Bin-O-facts) reading last night.

I'm actually reading my manual! Being a chain guy till now. Looking at Final drive and gear maintenace. need to google and get a warm fuzzy on greasing or moly coating the gears.

Thanks again for the welcome and all the info!

-Scotty

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats ScottyUSN! I thought you'd like the new ride. I too need to work on my posture because even though the FJR's riding position doesn't seem that different from the Strom my back tells me that it is after a couple of hours. Twisting the throttle sure is a lot more fun.

600 mile fluids changed. Need to go over the nuts and bolts this weekend. Honda Moly on the shelf for spline lube.

ThrottleMeister and Highway pegs in the mail.

Finally have a perfect day to ride. Roads are dry, and no sign of rain, but I have a tee time and the golf club carrying farkle is not at the top of the list (yet).

Looked over a couple used FJR's (05 and 07) at a Honda stealership. The 07 (non farkled other than risers) w/4000 miles at $12.5K? Sales guy saw me looking, saw what I was on, asked if I was considering a trade. I just laughed, and said I have an 2008 (new) that cost 2K less than your 2007 used. What do you think? He laughed and said, these bikes really keep their value. I replied: "Ya, with your math. The longer I keep it, the more it's going to be worth. I'll come back in a few years, maybe you'll give me $20K for it.

He left me alone after that.

...Looked over a couple used FJR's (05 and 07) at a Honda stealership. The 07 (non farkled other than risers) w/4000 miles at $12.5K? Sales guy saw me looking, saw what I was on, asked if I was considering a trade. I just laughed, and said I have an 2008 (new) that cost 2K less than your 2007 used. What do you think? He laughed and said, these bikes really keep their value. I replied: "Ya, with your math. The longer I keep it, the more it's going to be worth. I'll come back in a few years, maybe you'll give me $20K for it."
He left me alone after that.
Scotty ~ I like your style! Welcome to to the board and congrats on the nice score with your 08. You're going to love it! :yahoo:

Don

Love the highway pegs and throttle lock. Now I need a nice loooong ride to really appreciate them.

Getting colder so CalSci Large screen ordered today. I jumped on the Russell group buy.

My farkle list is getting shorter with all the big ticket items covered!

Oh ya.. Love the bike, and I'm off for a ride before the OU/Miami games kicks off ; )

I would add a Zumo via a stem mount, a SPOT and a tail rack. I would add a tank protector also, the clear coat seems to scratch pretty easy from textiles and zippers. A lot of members use the Z1 mirrors too. I assume you used loctite on the brackets for your bags already? , if not do it.