I've decided on a GPS system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, being one of the old muppets from the balcony, I'm with Pan on this one. Then again...I rode to Kali last year with paper maps, no tunes, and not even a working throttle lock....so maybe I'm just a tad outside the bell curve.
In 1972 I road to Daytona Beach for Easter break on a BSA 441 Victor I built from parts in a box. I didn't have a GPS then either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, being one of the old muppets from the balcony, I'm with Pan on this one. Then again...I rode to Kali last year with paper maps, no tunes, and not even a working throttle lock....so maybe I'm just a tad outside the bell curve.
You are definitely........................THE MAN!

But seriously I'm also really adept with paper maps', it's just less distracting, and a bit of a time saver to have the option of visual AND audio prompts, especially when the city is unfamiliar, big and the traffic is bad.

I'm not sure why you even asked for advice re: a GPS unit. Sounds like you, even stating you are an engineer, have it all figured out, and have actively rejected any advice from several seasoned riders.

Good for you!!

Personally, after many thousands of miles I really appreciate the nav prompts that are fed into my helmet by my Garmin 550 which is "hardwired" via an ampli-rider, into my skull candy ear buds. These noise cancelling ear buds offer stereo music, the aforementioned nav prompts and RD warnings. I read about this system on this forum, heeded the advice of members, purchased the hardware, and WOW does it work well!

I guess that's why I belong to this forum, and appreciate the advice so much!!

Good luck with your decision.
I didn't ask for advice. I stated my decision making process and why I chose what I did.

I am happy you like your decision. It's not one I would make. We have different priorities.

Life is like that.
I re-read your original post, and yes, you did not ask for advice. Sorry I responded.

Take care, and it sounds like you've made the decision that will work for you!!!!

When I lived in Oregon I didn't need a GPS - I cut pages out of the Gazetteer and bright them with me. They show way more detail than the Garmin does, and helped me find lots and lots of great roads. I had a GPS for finding addresses around town, but not for fun rides.

However, when venturing into the midwest a GPS became necessary ... not for navigation, but for entertainment. The first time I crossed the dakota's and Minnesota with just earplugs I was soooooo happy to park the bike for a week. There was nothing to look at. Just sit up and go straight for 600 miles and try to think of things to think about.

On the return trip I managed to get some music to listen to. That helped. Third time I had books on tape ... hey this is getting easier! And now I have podcasts and make phone calls. Crossing SD/ND/KS/NE/IA/MO/TX/OK/IL/IN is nearly relaxing now, with the very friendly Zumo 550 and Sena.

When I lived in Oregon I didn't need a GPS - I cut pages out of the Gazetteer and bright them with me. They show way more detail than the Garmin does, and helped me find lots and lots of great roads. I had a GPS for finding addresses around town, but not for fun rides.

However, when venturing into the midwest a GPS became necessary ... not for navigation, but for entertainment. The first time I crossed the dakota's and Minnesota with just earplugs I was soooooo happy to park the bike for a week. There was nothing to look at. Just sit up and go straight for 600 miles and try to think of things to think about.

On the return trip I managed to get some music to listen to. That helped. Third time I had books on tape ... hey this is getting easier! And now I have podcasts and make phone calls. Crossing SD/ND/KS/NE/IA/MO/TX/OK/IL/IN is nearly relaxing now, with the very friendly Zumo 550 and Sena.
If necessary I could get music, and books, off my iPhone. Perhaps I can use the Zumo 220 as a bridge device until the Zumo 880 comes out with the Direct HDTV dish, DVD player, TiVo, Play Station, internet access and fax machine/printer/copier. Then I can ride totally connected to the world.

That would be awesome!

thumbup.gif

I did, and still could get around by using paper maps if I had to, but I have to admit that after a couple of years with a GPS, I am now dependent on it when I am in unfamiliar places. I remember my first long distance ride, BG (before GPS), and once it got dark I had to seek out street lights in order to see the map on my tank bag and to read my directions.

For the paper map guys, another advantage of a GPS is that it helps you find that elusive gas station in the middle of the night when your fuel is low and there are no towns in sight.

I did, and still could get around by using paper maps if I had to, but I have to admit that after a couple of years with a GPS, I am now dependent on it when I am in unfamiliar places. I remember my first long distance ride, BG (before GPS), and once it got dark I had to seek out street lights in order to see the map on my tank bag and to read my directions.

For the paper map guys, another advantage of a GPS is that it helps you find that elusive gas station in the middle of the night when your fuel is low and there are no towns in sight.

I have nothing against GPS's...I am using a 2720 as my first. I am just not coordinated enough to figure it all out like you guys. I have adapted to riding the way I am...and use MS S&T and gazetteers to build routes. I used to make turnsheets for the tankbag...but this year I am trying to avoid that work...and am instead working at installing routes into the Garmin. There's still a bit of work to do to get from the S&T route to the Garmin GDB...but that's another thread.

All is good.

Just to show I'm not totally amish, I have SENA for intercom/ipod tunes and a GoPro camera that I'm trying to figure out.

Why not save yourself and others trying to give you advice some grief.

If you WANT a GPS get a basic unit for about $100.

If you find one with voice command, don't use it.

If it rains put a zip lock bag over it.

Simple...isn't it?

Well, if you have used a GPS on a motorcycle before then I guess you know what works for you, but I tried it without listening to the voice and it was much more distracting to keep looking at the GPS that any voice commands. I also missed a lot of turns because I didn't look down at the GPS often enough.
i started using GPSs back in the day of the monochrome Street Pilot (1). It didn't have voice prompts and only faintly pinged and showed an arrow for each turn. very easy to miss when in traffic or strange cities. when i got the 2610, i piped in the audio through my MixIt2 (and then into my ear monitor plugs) and it made all the difference in the world. it's not like it's a non-stop chatter. eyes on the road, hands on the bars, scanning actively, and you get the voice prompt regardless of where primary attention is.

Sounds to me like you could save yourself $399.99 and cancel the order. Keep using the paper maps and the locals-pointing-the-way procedure
It seems that the OP is getting a GPS just because it seems "the thing". I'd agree that it's best to save the $ and use it more wisely.

I learned a long time ago that there are people with 42 years of experience and then there are people with 41 years of repeating 1 year of experience. Trying to determined who's in which group often gets a little touchy.

Let me try this again.

I do very little urban riding. I prefer country roads I have never been down before. I examined my needs carefully and decided on a particular model based on MY needs. Not the needs of others on the board. If I wanted to just get a GPS for show I would have purchased the most expensive model I could find.

Of you want, or need, XM radio or voice prompts good for you. Go for it! I neither want or need them. This shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

Right?

I didn't ask for advice. I stated my decision making process and why I chose what I did.

I am happy you like your decision. It's not one I would make. We have different priorities.

Life is like that.
I re-read your original post, and yes, you did not ask for advice. Sorry I responded.
Yep -- same here. My apologies to the OP if it seemed like I was offering advice to someone who doesn't want it.

For others who might be considering a GPS and following this dialogue, I understand the OP's desire for "solitude" . . . sometimes. I turn off the GPS or its voice prompts when I know the route or just don't want to hear the prompts (esp. "recalculating" :lol: ).

I started riding in 1965 and going on multi-day MC trips in 1971 (BSA 650 Thunderbolt). In early 2007, I finally bought a GPS (Garmin 2720) that sat on the shelf in my garage, unused for 2 years, along with the other electronics I resisted installing as a part of my continuing Luddite tradition** -- maps were my only navigational aid (which I still bring along as a backup and ancillary reference). I installed it all in the spring of 2009, and was a convert on that June's 2 week trip to Canada, with my riding partners laughing at me when I discovered the joys of having a hands free navigator (and made mention of those discoveries over the bike to bike GMRS radio I had also installed).

Sometimes I ride in relative solitude, sometimes I have my iPod playing, sometimes I have the whole communication system up (though, like the OP, I will probably never connect my cell phone). To each his own -- I like options and the various over-rides the Starcom or Autocom systems provide.

** I still have a clutch on all my motorcycles, too.

EDIT to add:

Let me try this again.

I do very little urban riding. I prefer country roads I have never been down before. I examined my needs carefully and decided on a particular model based on MY needs. Not the needs of others on the board. If I wanted to just get a GPS for show I would have purchased the most expensive model I could find.

Of you want, or need, XM radio or voice prompts good for you. Go for it! I neither want or need them. This shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

Right?
Not sure where the attitude is coming from. No one is telling YOU what to do or denigrating your decision to do what works for you. A substantial number of us are every bit as intelligent, educated and experienced as you, maybe even more. What you may be missing is a long held tradition/practice around here, which relates directly to some of what is set forth in the Board's FAQ. It suggests that before making inquiries about a topic, one should at least attempt a search for like topics in which experience, advice or observations on the inquiry may previously have been posted.*** That is useful precisely because we members DO post our experience, observations and preferences on posts of interest (yours is one, so take it as a compliment).

Therefore, when you post a topic, especially when it relates directly to FJRs, wrenching on FJRs, accessories, or riding them, please EXPECT comments about the topic. Please also see Hudson's related reminder: FJR Forum Etiquette

Thanks.

*** Edit to add (later): NOT suggesting that the OP do a search or that he asked for opinions or advice. This forum has always been a repository for LOTS of FJR related info that can be searched meaningfully BECAUSE members post their opinions on interesting threads, whether they agree with another poster's opinion or not. When someone later searches and finds your topic, he or she has the benefit of the full discussion, pros and cons. The OP values solitude -- the later reader sees the cost savings if they value the same, or maybe notes the limitation of the omitted jack if that happens to be important. I didn't see it as personal to state reasons for having a different opinion. Sorry I wasn't clearer with the explanation of the Search reference.

I have a few hundred thousand miles of paper maps and listening to deafening wind noise under my belt. You'd be a brave man to try a take my Zumo 550 with XM radio and voice prompted turns away from me now. Listening to voice prompted turns prevents blowing through a stop sign while trying to figure out what's happening on the screen. DAMHIK. It's nice to have all the options. Cost is certainly an issue, but I got lucky, the previous owner did it all for me.

Let me try this again.

Right?
+1

So Pan, did you buy it yet? If so, are you happy with it?

I am also in the market for a 'basic' unit - the 220 seems to fill all my needs.

My riding buddy has a 295W that he loves, but really it is no different than my Android phone with a GPS app - except he can't make phone calls!

Appreciate your input.

Al

Let me try this again...
Why do you have this compulsion to defend your decision on which GPS to buy??

You made your choice based on your priorities which is fine. Others have stated their priorities when making their GPS decision which is fine. What is not fine is you seem to feel the need to attack others that have different priorities. Just let it go.

By the way the only priority I used when I got my Zumo 665 was that it was free (I won it)!!!

GarminChoice-L.jpg
GarminChoice-L.jpg
GarminChoice-L.jpg

Otherwise I would still be using my Garmin GPSMap 276c which is the best GPS Garmin ever built.

Life is like that.
Yep -- same here. My apologies to the OP if it seemed like I was offering advice to someone who doesn't want it.

For others who might be considering a GPS and following this dialogue, I understand the OP's desire for "solitude" . . . sometimes. I turn off the GPS or its voice prompts when I know the route or just don't want to hear the prompts (esp. "recalculating" :lol: ).

I started riding in 1965 and going on multi-day MC trips in 1971 (BSA 650 Thunderbolt). In early 2007, I finally bought a GPS (Garmin 2720) that sat on the shelf in my garage, unused for 2 years, along with the other electronics I resisted installing as a part of my continuing Luddite tradition** -- maps were my only navigational aid (which I still bring along as a backup and ancillary reference). I installed it all in the spring of 2009, and was a convert on that June's 2 week trip to Canada, with my riding partners laughing at me when I discovered the joys of having a hands free navigator (and made mention of those discoveries over the bike to bike GMRS radio I had also installed).

Sometimes I ride in relative solitude, sometimes I have my iPod playing, sometimes I have the whole communication system up (though, like the OP, I will probably never connect my cell phone). To each his own -- I like options and the various over-rides the Starcom or Autocom systems provide.

** I still have a clutch on all my motorcycles, too.

EDIT to add:

Let me try this again.

Right?
Not sure where the attitude is coming from. No one is telling YOU what to do or denigrating your decision to do what works for you. A substantial number of us are every bit as intelligent, educated and experienced as you, maybe even more. What you may be missing is a long held tradition/practice around here, which relates directly to some of what is set forth in the Board's FAQ. It suggests that before making inquiries about a topic, one should at least attempt a search for like topics in which experience, advice or observations on the inquiry may previously have been posted. That is useful precisely because we members DO post our experience, observations and preferences on posts of interest (yours is one, so take it as a compliment).

Therefore, when you post a topic, especially when it relates directly to FJRs, wrenching on FJRs, accessories, or riding them, please EXPECT comments about the topic. Please also see Hudson's related reminder: FJR Forum Etiquette

Thanks.
I started a thread describing my decision process of a GPs. You said it was wrong. I replied each to his own.

And somehow this violates board etiquette?

Please ...

Not sure where the attitude is coming from. No one is telling YOU what to do or denigrating your decision to do what works for you. A substantial number of us are every bit as intelligent, educated and experienced as you, maybe even more. What you may be missing is a long held tradition/practice around here, which relates directly to some of what is set forth in the Board's FAQ. It suggests that before making inquiries about a topic, one should at least attempt a search for like topics in which experience, advice or observations on the inquiry may previously have been posted. That is useful precisely because we members DO post our experience, observations and preferences on posts of interest (yours is one, so take it as a compliment).

Therefore, when you post a topic, especially when it relates directly to FJRs, wrenching on FJRs, accessories, or riding them, please EXPECT comments about the topic.

Thanks.
I'm with Rich on this...no need to exude the defensive 'tude....and with that, I'm outta here. :lol:

I have a TomTom One that was given to me back in 2004. It's not waterproof but I've used riding in the rain for 6 hours. I didn't have a problem with it. Of course, since I only use it on my bike and given it's age the battery doesn't work anymore I didn't care if it died. For the last 3 years I've left it on and out when riding in the rain and it hasn't died on me yet..... When if finally does I plan on buy a Zumo... 3 years ago I planned on buying the 220... Two years ago it was the 550... I guess I'll buy the 665 if it dies (finally) on me this year.

Therefore, when you post a topic, especially when it relates directly to FJRs, wrenching on FJRs, accessories, or riding them, please EXPECT comments about the topic.

Thanks.
I'm with Rich on this...no need to exude the defensive 'tude....and with that, I'm outta here. :lol:
I guess disagreeing with someone telling you your decision is wrong, you don't know what you are doing, and only choices some in the group make are valid, is having a defensive "tude".

OK. guilty as charged.

I guess disagreeing with someone telling you your decision is wrong, you don't know what you are doing, and only choices some in the group make are valid, is having a defensive "tude".

OK. guilty as charged.
I can set up a "straw man" as well as anyone and knock it down as well as the next guy. I can't help you if you don't see an attitude creep into your responses...but if a couple of people call you on it...take a hint, a deep breath, and look back to see if maybe they have something. Or not.

Your call, I don't care.

Your OP was great, BTW. Other posts...not as much.