I've decided on a GPS system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm looking at this to mount the Garmin.

canadatechmount.jpg

It's from Yamaha of Canada and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I like the fact that it brings the device closer to my eyes (just a bit), it looks nice, and it's a Genuine Yamaha part.

Anybody ever seen this one before?

https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/Motorcycle/moreinfo.asp?ID=699&shopcat=accessories&Class=Sport Touring&Year=2009&Model=FJR1300
That's a Techmount, available from several sources. Just Google Techmount.

There is a FJR specific model to replace the stem nut.

FWIW, I have the Techmount on my FJR, my other bike has a Ram Mount in a similar configuration.

The Techmount is rock solid, the Ram mount vibrates/bounces quite a bit.

In trying to save some money when getting the Ram setup I opted for a plastic Ram ball to GPS cradle adapter

that apparently flexes more than the aluminum adapter would.

canadatechmount.jpg

It's from Yamaha of Canada and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I like the fact that it brings the device closer to my eyes (just a bit), it looks nice, and it's a Genuine Yamaha part.

https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/Motorcycle/moreinfo.asp?ID=699&shopcat=accessories&Class=Sport Touring&Year=2009&Model=FJR1300
before anyone replies, are their conditions/constraints/expectations?

i ask because i've seen it before and have opinions.
Please feel free. It's your board.

canadatechmount.jpg

That's a Techmount, available from several sources. Just Google Techmount.

There is a FJR specific model to replace the stem nut.

FWIW, I have the Techmount on my FJR, my other bike has a Ram Mount in a similar configuration.

The Techmount is rock solid, the Ram mount vibrates/bounces quite a bit.

In trying to save some money when getting the Ram setup I opted for a plastic Ram ball to GPS cradle adapter

that apparently flexes more than the aluminum adapter would.
The issue is it's not the same model sold by Techmount.

https://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=7

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct: your link is for current configuration.

I have the version in your picture, now discontinued.

You can approximate that mount with a longer 3" shaft available separately.

The streetpilot 2820 is functionally equivalent to a zumo 550, but with prior generation hardware and technology. I owned one of these before I bought my 550. The biggest issue with a 2820, besides actually finding one, is that the unit has no means to expand the memory, which means that you can't load much in the way of maps, routes or music. Having an SD expansion slot in the zumos means that you can expand the total memory and load as much of that stuff as you want. The streetpilot also has no battery, which makes it a PITA out on the road. It has also been "discontinued" by Garmin so no guarantee of future map updates.
As usual, I agree with your conclusions, with one minor exception. The Streetpilot series use the same maps as all other current Garmin GPS units, so mine has the full CN North America v. 2012.40, and it all fits on the internal memory with plenty left over; something that amazingly can't be done on a Zumo 550. :huh: At that price-point and with the truly CHEAP cost of solid state memory today, it's unforgivable Garmin has not released an updated version. Anyway, I have dozens of complex routes and many sets of waypoints. and even some music files, and have never had memory issues. Agree the lack of a battery is a PITA, so the unit has constant power on the bike, NOT good if you forget and leave it on overnight.

Your point was the Zumo 220 is being misconstrued by many posters here, and that is pretty clear. FWIW, all the GPSMap users are laughing at all of us. :lol:

I have my Garmin 2720 mounted on a Techmount which is then mounted on a dash shelf. It puts the GPS in a good place for me so I can glance at it without taking my eyes off of the road and is easy to reach the touch screen. The Techmount does come loose once in a while and needs to be tightened at the flex points periodically. The 2720 is physically larger and may be heavier than the Zumo line, so that may not be a problem with the Zumo.

canadatechmount.jpg

https://www.yamahage...ies&Class=Sport Touring&Year=2009&Model=FJR1300
One issue you may want to consider with a solid mount such as this is the lack of vibration dampening. Unless the GPS has been hardened vibrations can cause any number of issues with connections inside the GPS. Touratech offers a mount that addresses this issue but the mount is expensive. Because I use my GPS in an off-road environment vibration dampening is even more of an issue for me. I know a number of friends that use Ram mounts without having too many instances of vibration damage in a street application but I have seen GPS failures on dirt bikes using Ram Mounts. I believe the Ram Mount system provides a small measure of vibration dampening but I don't see how the mount pictured above would provide much dampening since it is all metal and would transmit any vibration directly into the GPS.

Before you order any mount, why not wait and see what comes in the box with the 220? The 660 came with a small inexpensive Ram ball that piggybacks onto the clutch reservoir clamp. The 220 should (probably) come with the same thing. It looked a little cheesy at first but once on the bike, it looked great and put the GPS up high where you did not have to look away from the road to see it. I can assure you we did not use this mount because we were lazy or going cheap, we actually liked it. There are mounts similar to that one except it has two balls (I know, go ahead, be sarcastic!) which allow two mounting options in one mount. By purchasing a longer Ram tube you can really customize the location. It is not hard to route the cable on the FJR, be prepared to try different options until you make yourself happy.

If weatherproofing isn't an issue for you, then yes, the non-weather-proofed Garmins are a much better deal. In my case, riding in the rain means I need the Zumo series. Also, don't forget that the screens tend to wash out on the non-Zumo Garmins in direct sunlight. Make sure to check the unit you're considering under these conditions. I've got the 665, and have been thrilled with it. The weather radar is awesome, I do use XM, and the integration with the FJR and my J&M JMCB2003 was relatively painless. Works great. XM Antenna mounting on the FJR is easy, several places to put it, and it looks pretty classy. Just have to take a bit of time with the install.

I had a Zumo 550 on my older Goldwing, and it worked like a champ as well.

FJRGarmin1.jpg

FJRGarmin2.jpg

FJRGarmin4.jpg
What mount do you have in the pictures for your GPS, I like how it seems minimal.

PanAmerican

The old style Techmount, which is the Yamaha accessory version that you posted, still leaves your GPS screen below the level of your instruments. I have, and use, a WynPro RAMbone, which puts the GPS into pretty much the same position by mounting off of the two forward tank bolts and uses shock absorbing RAM arm components that will come with your zumo.

But... I have the GPS sound piped into my helmet. I hate to keep flogging a dead horse, but if you won't be listening to your GPS I would suggest finding a mount that will put your GPS up considerably higher for safety sake.

There should be some RAM mounting parts in the box with your GPS that will allow you to mount it on the left handlebar. If you had a clutch lever there would be an unused, threaded mirror hole that can come in handy for mounting, but I see that you have an AE, so that is out.

Please feel free. It's your board.
i'm a long time advocate of keeping sharp hard bike bits away from soft sliceable people bits.
If Nerf® doen't make a mount, what do you suggest?

Before you order any mount, why not wait and see what comes in the box with the 220? The 660 came with a small inexpensive Ram ball that piggybacks onto the clutch reservoir clamp. The 220 should (probably) come with the same thing. It looked a little cheesy at first but once on the bike, it looked great and put the GPS up high where you did not have to look away from the road to see it. I can assure you we did not use this mount because we were lazy or going cheap, we actually liked it. There are mounts similar to that one except it has two balls (I know, go ahead, be sarcastic!) which allow two mounting options in one mount. By purchasing a longer Ram tube you can really customize the location. It is not hard to route the cable on the FJR, be prepared to try different options until you make yourself happy.

That sounds like a good plan.