Jacket recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have THIS JACKET and absolutely love it. It can be used from mild weather all the way to cold weather. Comes with a removable liner and has excellent ventilation. Oh, and it's affordable, too!

Tourmaster Intake here. Most versatile jacket I've ever owned. 28F to 100F its handled them all. The liners are a bit finicky to get in and out but for $100 you can't go far wrong.

My husband and I both like the Olympia Mesh Tex with quilted water resistant liner.

I quoted Jill....."With the liners in place, it's as warm and toasty as any other bike gear I've worn, and waterproof too. The armor feels solid, yet is unobtrusive while riding."

On hot days, it's pretty cool letting the air go through the mesh.

I have raingear in addition to the Olympia system. When it's hot and very rainy, instead of putting on the liner, I slip the thin layer of raingear over the mesh, armored jacket.

olympia! ride 2 hours to work and it is the best I've had. Yeah it seems far but not on the bike! I don't know what model but I had to go to the BMW dealer to try it on. Stop by a BMW dealership and they should be able to help you out.

There are many good ones to choose from. My strongest recommendation is to choose one with Gore Tex or equivalent so it breathes and is water proof - an outstanding combination for bikes.

I have an Aerostich RoadCrafter one piece suit and I find it great for 80 F and lower. With a heated vest, it's good to 30 F. I love not having to put on a rain suit, just keep riding with GoreTEx. The RoadCrafter also offers zippers for ventilation and very, very good body protection.

Ron

Tourmaster Intake here. Most versatile jacket I've ever owned. 28F to 100F its handled them all. The liners are a bit finicky to get in and out but for $100 you can't go far wrong.
Where did you get the Intake jacket for a $100?

Joe Rocket Phoenix. Works great. You can zip off the shell and have a mesh jacket. It it like the tourmaster flex I think. That combined with a heated vest should serve you well in all sorts of weather.

I live in the Northeast CT, I'm looking for a jacket that will keep me comfortable in the early mourning and later evening commutes. I have a leather jacket looking for something different.
I have always been kind of a Vanson leather snob. In fact, I have two now...one with perforations and one without. Last summer, I picked up a FirstGear mesh jacket on a whim...it was only $109, and included a rain liner. To my surprise, it has become my favorite summer jacket and the Vansons are hanging in the closet waiting for really cool weather. The FirstGear mesh offers decent comfort down to about 60 degrees and is obviously much cooler than leather when it gets really warm. Also, it includes really decent closed cell shoulder and elbow padding. I love it!

FirstGear style MESH TEX 3.0 JKT

Tourmaster Intake Jacket works great for me. Plenty of ventilation when the liners are removed and it is nice and warm with the rain/wind liner and thermal liners and installed. I think it only cost $150.

I have a RevIt Canyon Pro and the Tourmaster Intake. The Intake is much better in hot times, june, july, august, etc. The Cayenne Pro is a great jacket, but very expensive and the back protector is optional, which is weird to me. Its one of those things that when you see it - and wear it - you understand it is mainly for colder climates, like those experienced in northern Europe. It has all the liners like other jackets. The fit is snug but I like that, whereas the Intake fits, well, large without the lining. I think you need two jackets, winter and summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fieldsheer, anything Fieldsheer!

I have a mesh jacket w/removable liner that works great for 3 seasons.

Then I have one of their textile jackets w/removable liner for the 4th season.

I have their 4 season pants. The Highlander one piece suit for LD rides. It has a removable quilted liner.

Last but not least I have their Ace boots. I've had all of these for going on four years now and am very happy with all of them.

Just whatever you do don't buy the Icon crap. It will come apart at the seams on you.

edit : Oh yeah, I also have their one piece rain suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the motoport ultra II Cordura jacket and pants. Great for a year round suit. A little warm in Ga in the summer, but great for the rest of the year. I've ridden quit comfortable with the jacket and a sweatshirt on underneath down into the upper 20's.

There are many good ones to choose from. My strongest recommendation is to choose one with Gore Tex or equivalent so it breathes and is water proof - an outstanding combination for bikes.
I have an Aerostich RoadCrafter one piece suit and I find it great for 80 F and lower. With a heated vest, it's good to 30 F. I love not having to put on a rain suit, just keep riding with GoreTEx. The RoadCrafter also offers zippers for ventilation and very, very good body protection.

Ron
Ditto, although I have the Darien jacket and pants. We get lots of little showers or drizzle and it's so nice not having to worry about putting on rain gear. I just ride year round with my Aerostitch, except for those days when the temps get over 80. The Darien jacket without liner isn't very hot with all the vents open, but the pants don't vent at all and get too damn hot. I have some First Gear mesh pants that work great for those rare really hot days.