Jerkiness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my best results from leaving the Throttlemeister screwed down a bit, damping the throttle motion. I guess that also shows where the problem was coming from on my '04.

There were times -- on rough roads with slow going -- where the throttle got downright spastic. It could be terrifying, but holding things back with the throttlemeister made it tolerable. Also probably led to the eventual need to work over the Throttlemeister to bring it back to life.

I just picked up my '07 FJ and HATE the throttle response in low gear/slow speed carp. Im doing the throttle spring mod this eve, and ordering a G2 in a week. Im rather unimpressed with the fact this is SUCH a commonality with these bikes. OH well.

I just picked up my '07 FJ and HATE the throttle response in low gear/slow speed carp. Im doing the throttle spring mod this eve, and ordering a G2 in a week. Im rather unimpressed with the fact this is SUCH a commonality with these bikes. OH well.
Here's Bustanut Joker warming up his slow speed carp for the throttle spring mod.....

carp-thumb-560x338-56351.jpg

Good Morning RadioHowie, Since when did Bustanut joker let the carp get on top? That's a new twist on an old story for Barry!!!

Here's Bustanut Joker warming up his slow speed carp for the throttle spring mod.....

carp-thumb-560x338-56351.jpg

LOL...Carp. Well, the reaon for that is Im a member of another forum, and as I tend to express myself with colorful metaphores A LOT, they automatically fixify what I say. I hate when I go to all that effort to express myself and it looks like this: bull****.

I don't normally go this route, but based on my experience, go with the PCIII or PCV to fix a bunch of issues. Adjust your throttle freeplay so it is zero or near zero. I did the G2 thing, but that just changes how the problem plays out. I would use your money for something else. I'm thinking of taking mine off now that I would rather have a quicker (stock) response. YMMV.

Just installed the PC III this weekend jerkiness gone from my 07. I had learned to live with it and pretty much knew what would make it happen and would adjust accordingly.. Glad i can just ride now.. Thanks Chris...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an "07 that drove me nuts with the abrupt on/off and the jerkiness. I read that the G2 would help, so I bought one. It DID help manage the problem a little better, but the problem was still there.

Last Christmas my lovely wife bought me the PCV with the "smoothness" map and it solved the problem entirely. The engine also seems to run smoother and possibly a bit stronger. However, it took my mileage down about 4 mpg. Since the PCV can support two maps, I put a switch on the handlebars and also loaded an "economy" map. The bike still runs better than stock with the economy map, but I switch to the smoothness map on the fly when approaching tight / slow twisties. I only checked the mileage once since I've had both maps and the mileage is close enough to the original to not be an issue.

I've got the Throttlemeister installed and I keep a bit of tension on the throttle springs, so I've never bothered with the spring unwind fix.

The PCV is the best farkle I've got on the Feej. Highly recommended.

Rick

The way that the PCIII device fixes this particular problem is it allows you to add fuel in the zero and low throttle open columns, at rpms above idle speed. These are the conditions that we find ourselves in, during cornering, for example: when you are trailing throttle into a corner (using engine braking) but then part way through the corner try to apply back some throttle.

The reason it is so "jerky" is because the ECU stock fuel map essentially cuts fuel delivery off entirely in all 0% throttle conditions. Then when you try to gently roll back on the throttle it suddenly resumes making power again. It is one reason that many carburetted bikes feel so much smoother in this regard than FI bikes, as they continue to deliver fuel on a closed throttle.

Another "trick" that can be adopted on a FI bike is to never fully close the throttle when setting up for the turn, or if you do, try to get back on the throttle before fully leaned over. Judicious (as in light) use of the brakes to help regulate speed while still maintaining the throttle cracked open a tiny bit can help. I find this technique works pretty well on my VFR800 which is known to have a worse off-idle jerkiness.

Or you could just buy an older bike with CV carbs... But then you'll have other complaints. ;)

.....and to add what Fred W wrote, make sure your idle is up at 1100rpm. It helps keeping the motor ticking over faster to eliminate some of the low-speed throttle twitch.

Howdy neighbor, (I'm up in Santa Rosa, we'll have to rail Skaggs some day?)

I dun got an '07 awhile back, (In February) and the jerkiness was very annoying.

I just happened to have the high altitude recall performed, (A new ECU) and that got rid of most of it. There's still some drive line lash, but the biggest problem the FJR has is that there's just so much damn torque down low. (Life's a bitch!) :p

As others have mentioned, get rid of any free play in the throttle, make sure the idle is up, and if you get the new ECU, you'll find it much better.

Good luck,

I read about the 07 jerk dance. I'm get my 09 this weekend finally :yahoo: i have not rode a 09 so does it also have the Jerky dance?

I spent some time in post #8 to try to define the various types of "jerkiness" to reduce the amount of guessing as to cause and result. I know that there is resistance to reading a post of more than 20 words or two paragraphs (which I now exceed) but you don't have to guess if your problem will be addressed by a G2 throttle cam, throttle spring unwind or PC.xxx.

Oh. :huh: Never mind. When I saw the thread title I thought we were gonna talk about some jerks we all know.... :glare:

PCV. I got my '09 custom tuned recently. IIRC 0-20% throttle position is really, really lean in the first 2-3 gears and the transition to a rich mixture is abrupt. My tuner has been doing custom PC tunes for many years, and said it's rare to see factory settings so lean. That jerkiness is the abrupt transition. He spent considerable time experimenting with it, and found that the bike simply needed more fuel at those throttle positions. Perhaps my HoleShot cans exacerbate the problem, but it didn't seem to get any worse from stock when I put the cans on (did this a good 4-5 months before the Power Commander and it added new problems like decel popping and fluctuating idle speed)

If you want a cure to this problem, pony up for a PCV and a dyno tune. Actually, this cures or alleviates most minor complaints I had, including the fluctuating idle that occurs with exhaust mods and no FI tuning, throttle snatch, and 4k RPM vibration. The vibration seems to have moved up to 5-6k RPM, but that's okay because I don't cruise long distances in that rev range. I may go with some heavy Throttlemeister bar ends and see if that helps with the vibes, because I'm currently running stock bars/bar ends and my hands get numb after 1-2 hours.