Just installed a Helibar Triple Clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieTwo

Reaction score
I installed the Helibar triple clamp and risers today on my '07. I was able to avoid removing the seats and tank as outlined in the instructions. I drilled out the 'tamper proof' screws in the key assembly without completely removing it. It I subtract the time required to get tools (needed a 36mm socket), I probably only sent one hours on the job. It looks clean and I'm in a better riding position now.

I just ordered same from Tony... I am going to let a dealer do the install as I am reluctant to tackle a job like this.

Thanks, Lucky

I installed the Helibar triple clamp and risers today on my '07. I was able to avoid removing the seats and tank as outlined in the instructions. I drilled out the 'tamper proof' screws in the key assembly without completely removing it. It I subtract the time required to get tools (needed a 36mm socket), I probably only sent one hours on the job. It looks clean and I'm in a better riding position now.
I don't have a clue to how you did that install without removing the seats and the gas tank.

How did you unplug and then plug back in the red and white wire connections?

I finally got to ride my AE with the HELI (sans risers) last night. It felt great. In fact, I didn't even THINK about bar position. It felt every bit as good as my '04 with stacked risers, if not BETTER. NICE. Well worth the expense and trouble.

RichieTwo, I'm curious about how you did the install without removing the tank. I know the slot at the front is pretty large, and the wires do have some slack. Evidently there was enough slack that you could get to the ignition plugs and disconnect them? Pretty slick!

I finally got to ride my AE with the HELI (sans risers) last night. It felt great. In fact, I didn't even THINK about bar position. It felt every bit as good as my '04 with stacked risers, if not BETTER. NICE. Well worth the expense and trouble.
RichieTwo, I'm curious about how you did the install without removing the tank. I know the slot at the front is pretty large, and the wires do have some slack. Evidently there was enough slack that you could get to the ignition plugs and disconnect them? Pretty slick!
I didn't look forward to removing all the recommended parts so I thought that I would at least give it a try. Before removing the bars and clamps I covered everything with towels. Once I removed the clamp there was enough slack to rotate the clamp and drill out the tamper proof bolts. Maybe they have added some wire to the '07. Either way it worked. I did use a two step drill bit and the driling was faster and easier than I expected.

I didn't look forward to removing all the recommended parts so I thought that I would at least give it a try. Before removing the bars and clamps I covered everything with towels. Once I removed the clamp there was enough slack to rotate the clamp and drill out the tamper proof bolts. Maybe they have added some wire to the '07. Either way it worked. I did use a two step drill bit and the driling was faster and easier than I expected.
For the mechanically challenged, what is a two step drill bit? Also, might you have taken pictures of this process. It would seem it was easier for you than many others. Thanks!

For the mechanically challenged, what is a two step drill bit? Also, might you have taken pictures of this process. It would seem it was easier for you than many others. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics. Heli-bar provides very detailed instructions with colored photos. If you have the instructions, I 'skipped' steps 5 thru 8. Here is a pic of the kind of drill bit I used. Also I'd recommend getting a quality bit, Lowes or Home Depot. I've put 150 miles on the bike since I did the job and everything is in working order.

https://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/Ri...wo/DrillBit.jpg

Here is a smaller version of the same pic in case you have a slower internet connect.

https://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/Ri...o/DrillBit2.jpg

I did the samething on my '06; did not want to remove tank etc. Worked just fine.

I did the samething on my '06; did not want to remove tank etc. Worked just fine.
Yeah, I consider 'written instructions' to be more like guidelines than rules.

Richie Two,

Wondering how tall you are and inseam?

I seem to be having a problem that my arms are too straight and seems to be putting pressure on my elbows.

My feeling is if I could bring the bars back a little bit more that would go away and could ride for longer durations.

What was your reason for going with the Helibar TC?

Thanks!

Richie Two,Wondering how tall you are and inseam?...............would go away and could ride for longer durations.

What was your reason for going with the Helibar TC?

Thanks!
I'm 5-9 with a 29" inseam and not so long arms. A long time ago I went over the front of my dirt bike and did a one point landing on my left wrist. It never healed properly. For that reason I can't ride with pressure on my wrists (aka crotch rocket style). So I installed the triple clamp and the risers and it helped.

Then I reworked the factory seat. If you look at the seat from the side, it leans forward where the butt cheeks are. I felt like I was riding down hill. That also added pressure to my wrists. I used an electric knife and 60 grit sand paper and made the seat 'leveler?'. Now it is flatter, more like the Corbin seat that I have on my VMAX.

I'm geting ready to go on a month long ride in May, so this better work. Although, I plan on getting a couple of shot of cortisone prior to the trip.

Thanks for the reply!

I will be ordering it soon. I just ordered a garmin zumo and want to have it on hand to see if I need to add any ram ball mounts to the Helibar TC before it is installed.

BTW I have the corbin seat and so far (albiet with only a few hundred miles) it is perfect! If you have been riding dirt bikes (I ride my WR450F whenever possible)then this thing is more in line with a lazy boy recliner, super comfortable!

I think if I can can get a little bend in my arms then I could ride the FJR forever.

The Zumo comes with a ram ball setup that bolts to the clutch attach area. Personally I think that it is too close to me for long term use. I didn't buy the screw in ram ball when I got the Heli which was a mistake. I have since ordered it, two actually since there are two holes for ram balls on the triple clamp. In that position it will be closer to the gauges. Regards, Richard and enjoy.

I installed my Heli TC today in an 07 (no risers.) I followed the instructions, and drilled out the switch after completely removing the stock TC. I actually wanted to pull the tank anyway, to see what it looks like under there. It didn't quite feel like my bike yet, since I hadn't wrenched on it much. I also installed a G2 throttle cam at the same time, since I had to disconnect the throttle anyway to re-route the cables.

I am 6', with 32" inseam. The position is much better, but I have to put some miles on before issuing a final judgment. I may yet install the risers as I have a tall torso, but I'll wait a while. If nothing else, the Heli TC is a beautiful piece of machining, just lovely.

Got the RAM balls with the TC, now I just need some more farkles to mount on them.

RichieTwo,

Does the Helibar change the angle of the handlebars from the original position? My problem is the stock angle is too far back, I need bars that are straighter. I find that the angle is the source of my wrist and hand pain. The weight on the bars isn't the problem, I rode an FJ1200 for 18 years and didn't have the pain I have on the FJR.

If there isn't a difference from stock, does it look like there is room to drill and tap another pivot hole next to the existing one to straighten the bars?

Thanks for any feedback you can give, Jaster.