Just Mounted a 190/55/17

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get this one. I've never heard of a wider tire having quicker steering -- if anything I've always heard the opposite.My Speed Triple was original shod with a 190 in the back (a '99). I thought it made the bike steer to heavy and slow, and changed to a 180 -- big improvement.
Several factors...the tire in a lot taller which increases rake significantly...the profile is sharper...and the tire is slightly "pinched" on a 5.5 inch rim which steepens the profile more than on a 6 inch rim..

I just rode the bike for the first time tonight and I gotta say i am really liking this rear tire, the rear of the bike is higher, the speedo is dead on (at least up to 60) and it falls into corners now....

I did only ride it a little around town but really like it, tomorrow i plan on finding some twisty's and see how it is there.....

more to follow.

R

main consideration here is the aspect ratio..a 190/50 is smaller in circumference and height that the stock 180/55..the only benefit from a 190/50 is better acceleration [lower gearing]..and it makes speedo error greater, less cornering clearance, higher effort centerstand, etc. You want a 190/55.

Welcome to the darkside fatside, Fairlaner...
Fixed it. No square tires for us fatsiders!

Been on this playing field (190/55) for quite some time but w PR2's

I likey
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhhhhh ok...hehe

I just did 80 miles on the new tires and i gotta say i love the way the bike handles now.

R

Mark it really doesn't look any bigger on the back of the bike, maybe if i had another bike beside it I would notice it more...

I definitely notice the difference in the way it handles and it is for the better i think.

R

Mark it really doesn't look any bigger on the back of the bike, maybe if i had another bike beside it I would notice it more...
I definitely notice the difference in the way it handles and it is for the better i think.

R
Good to know. I can use all the help I can get.

Tire price the same as the 180/55?

R
Is it the new size tire? Or just going from worn out rubber to new rubber?

I'm thinking you guys are mistaking the taller 190 for what the FJR really needs, a stiffer spring and 1/2 of added shock length. A 180 with the rear end jacked up where it should be is the proper way to make an FJR handle, but a 190 is definitely a nearly "free" way of raising the rear.

Last edited by a moderator: