Just Mounted a 190/55/17

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... chopperizing ...
There ain't no noun wot can't be verbed.
punk.gif
punk.gif

biggrin.png
biggrin.png
Doncha just love "English" english
smile.png

Theoretically if you have already updated the suspension and have the rear of the bike at the proper ride height putting the rear higher would further steepen the fork angle and may cause some loss of straight line stability. It would be interesting if Richard could supply some sag measurements and ride height from the ground both with rider on and off the bike for comparison with those of us with upgraded suspensions.

It would be nice to have a speedo that reads accurately though.

these have well over 5K on them now so i will wait until i put some new ones on before i measure...

R

I have upgraded suspension and a fatty on the rear. O n a recent excursion through Wyoming straight line stability was not an issue at speeds of 130+. The top case, however, does make it's presence known at around 120.

I've got about 3000 miles on a 190 'stone 023gt. I like it! A few things I've noticed--the bike is definitely a little taller, you can tell the difference when you drop it off the center stand. I also have the wynpro kickstand foot and the bike now leans at a better angle when parked with the taller tire. Also, you can't get rid of the chicken strips with that tire!

+1 on the strips....i tried on Carmel Valley road and Nacimiento last week and they are still there.......

R

This is probably because you are squeezing a wider tire inside the same 5.5" (140mm) wheel rim. It will cause the tread profile to distort with a more acute arc rendering the sides of the tires less useful. When you think about it, that means that you won't be using as much of the tire tread that you paid for.

This is probably because you are squeezing a wider tire inside the same 5.5" (140mm) wheel rim. It will cause the tread profile to distort with a more acute arc rendering the sides of the tires less useful. When you think about it, that means that you won't be using as much of the tire tread that you paid for.
Unless you're doing nothing but laps on a track you'd never wear out the outer edge of any tire, so that's the case no matter what the size.

True, but if you are never spending any time on that already purchased rubber it cannot possibly help extend the longevity of the other tread. Besides it looks so ghey to have inch and a half chicken strips on a sporty looking bike like the FJR... ;)

I tried to give KJ some beef about his wide chicken strips (with the big meat on the back) but I don't think he was getting it.

Now, playing devils advocate against my own frugality argument, we don't ride on the sidewalls too much.

Anyone know a way to recycle tire sidewalls?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the strips....i tried on Carmel Valley road and Nacimiento last week and they are still there.......
R
Yeah-can't seem to get rid of those embarrassing 3/4" strips...front has 1/8" strips tho---better not push it..

I tried to give KJ some beef about his wide chicken strips (with the big meat on the back) but I don't think he was getting it.
He got it. The next morning he was checking everyone's chicken strips....on the front tires though.

I wonder if that bigger tire needs less air. That would make the chicken strips smaller too.

Chicken stripes and tread are both over rated. It's looking like mounting a 190/55/17 is going to leave you with an excess of both unlike the OEM tire size.

023-GT-1_zps1c8bef0f.jpg

R
Yeah-can't seem to get rid of those embarrassing 3/4" strips...front has 1/8" strips tho---better not push it..

Not sure how you use all but 1/8" on the fronts. That must take some pretty aggressive riding. I use most of the rear tire (stock size) riding two up and still have 1" on either side of the front unused.

PR2 Back

100_4133.jpg

BT023GT Front

100_4157.jpg

It probably depends a lot on what brand/model tire(s) you are running and what their cross-sectional profile is.

Well, I've got a 190 rear on my VFR and the front looks like this..
2vmbnza.jpg

1/4" c/strip... no c/stip on the back...
The rear rim on the VFR is a 17" x 6" wide (a full half inch wider than the FJR's) and actually comes with a 190 width tire stock. With the wider rim the tire profile would not get pinched into a higher than intended profile.