Just wanted to say hello quickly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Hice

Reaction score
I just wanted to say hello quickly and introduce myself. I am, or at least I hope I am, both the newest and in most ways dumbest member of this forum at this point. I have never been on a motorcycle in my life, even as a passenger. I decided a couple months ago that I was going to get a motorcycle. I began researching and researching and researching. I looked at the pros and cons of every last bike currently on the market. Debated with myself on each and every style and what each would allow or not allow me to do in the future. I finally decided on Sport Touring so now I was left with which one. Again I started comparing the ST bikes from all the different manufacturers. When I was done I was left with the FJR. I called my local dealer, knowing that they basically can't be purchased if you didn't have a deposit in, and told my buddy Nick to find one. Two days later he calls back after finding a 2006 1300A in Mississippi that apparantly the guy hasn't followed through on. I dropped of a check for 1k as a deposit and two days later she was sitting at the dealer waiting for me. This was, if I recall, the 15th of June.

Now if you were following along with that at all you will quickly recall the line which states "I have never been on a motorcycle in my life, even as a passenger." ya about that... See in all my researching I was trying to find out what I was going to buy, not what I should buy. It really didn't surface in my mind "Hey dumbass you're buying a 1300 here you idiot...you should buy something smaller". Well after introducing myself on a couple other forums, some of you may even recognize me, and being told I was an idiot, though in a nicer way by many, I decided to take their advice and not get on it at first. What I will say is what I have gone back and posted on those forums as well... Thank You!!!!!

I just got back from Bham, AL after taking my MSF course. I by no means think that a simple 2 1/2 day course has made me a biker but I highly believe that taking that course before I got on my bike saved my life last week. If I would have jumped on that FJR and tried to learn to ride it completely on my own I would either have a 600lbs paper weight or be dead right now. I hopped on the FJR as soon as I got back into town and took it around my neighborhood a few times last night, the weight and power are just not something you just hop on. I basically still have no qualifications at all what so ever to be on it and I don't plan to ride in on a real rode for many weeks but I am glad I took a course before I ever popped it in 1st. I plan to ride each night when I get home until I get a lot more comfortable in my "controlled environment", then I hope to slowly start on some back streets around here and work my way up.

Here is what I have at the moment, if anyone can add things I should get please advise.

2006 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Nolan N102 Helmet

Joe Rocket Super Ego Leather Riding Jacket

Alpinestars Alloy Gloves

Alpinestars Web Waterproof Boots

MSF BRC Course - Completed/Passed

Atlanta Motorcycle School - Course 111 Scheduled July 31st

EDIT:

Motovations Frame Sliders (Installing tonight/Just arrived)

Motovations Bar Ends (Installing tonight/Just arrived)

In answer to a couple questions below:

I am 27 years old, 28 on Sept 1, yes I know I am still a punk kid to most. I have a 4 year old daughter that I always have in the back of my mind. I know that once in a while I will get a bug up my butt to push my limits, if you're a guy and say you won't than your full of crap. I always keep my daughter in my mind, I don't want her to grow up without a father, hence why I am trying to take as much of the advise that you guys give me as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get Sliders...

Edit: I see your update... good job!

Wow, some story! The first thing you did right was to take the MSF course. How was it for you? Did it give you some confidence and knowledge? I would carefully pick your times and places to ride, as the cagers on the road are, in many cases, out to kill you.

I'm sure that you are going to get lots of responses to your post so it will be interesting. Oh, and by the way, I doubt you are the dumbest member of the forum. I can think of a few other candidates here that are in the running for that one. :D

Good on ya for scheduling yet another rider course. What is you age?

I'm not sure what advice I could add. I've been riding since 1971, and even roadraced for a few years. I've forgotten more than you know. Please don't take that as an insult, I mean - at my age, I really HAVE forgotten more than you know ;)

In all seriousness, I think you have taken a great approach. The real key to riding is not to get sucked into trying to impress anyone or try to keep up with anyone beyond your skill level, and ride as if every car is going to not see you. You need to be at a point where the mechanics of handling the motorcycle is a subconcious activity so that you can focus your attention to what is going on around you.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!

I think the MSF course definetly had merit in my case. If I would have tried to learn by myself on my FJR I would have ruined the bike the first day and possibly either broken myself badly or worse. I learned clutch and throttle control, shifting, quick breaking and break management, swerving and corning techniques. The only down side is that I learned everything on a bike that within reason couldn't hurt me. I now have to take that knowledge and apply it to a bike that is a foot longer and 300lbs heavier with close to 100 more HP. We learned on Honda Nighthawk 250's. As long as I take it slow and stay at my level I should live, I accept and fully understand that the first time I exceed that safety zone is the day I may die.

Like your instructor probably told you in class... your right wrist is in control of the bike, not the other way around...

It's hard to criticize your post. I'm trying hard, too.

It seems like you have the proper amount of respect for the motorcycle. You've taken training, scheduled more, bought good gear, and you're easing into the solo riding. You also made a deft choice of an ST bike. I've seen lots worse on these fora[1].

[1] See twowheelnut.

Welcome Daniel to riding - and to this Forum. Think you are off to the proper start. While many don't think the FJR is a good "beginner" bike, I think it can work well, given the proper respect and practice time.

Would recommend some of the riding books mentioned frequently on this Forum (eg; Lee Parks etc) -- read and re-read them. And, if you can find a good, clean-of-debris parking lot to practice on a Sunday can be very beneficial in terms of gaining confidence in the handling of the bike. I would spend hours doing that.

Practice, practice, and practice. One of my favorite times to "practice" on the roads is on a Sunday morning -- I figure that the drunks are still comatose (and off the roads) and there is no commuter traffic.

I especially like what you have to say about your 4-year old. Stay safe, and vigilant AT ALL TIMES. I figure all of the "cagers" are morons, and are about to do something stupid -- so I drive both on defense and on offense in an effort to stay away from the idiots.

Safe riding! And enjoy the craziness of this wonderful crowd on the FJR Forum! :D Jay

One bit of advice,I think you've probably got more bike then you can handle as a first timer, having said that it sounds like you're doing the right things so far.But when you really crack the throttle on that baby the first time it's going to be an adrenalin rush that you probably haven't experienced before.

That's where your brain is going to have to take over for your senses.

The advice is this,find a couple of experienced riders to ride with to teach you some of the nuances of riding a bike with this much power,IT IS NOT A BEGINNERS BIKE and stay out of the mountains until you ride like it's second nature to you.Good luck

Thanks y'all, I plan to live long if I have any say over it so I plan to follow all the advise I get. I am trying to find some FJR riders in the area if I can to see if they may be able to help me. If anyone is around here and willing to help in a few weeks to a month once I have the balls to look at a road let me know.

Welcome, Dan. I'm in the same situation as you and taking the same careful approach although still waiting on the AE to get here (and waiting and waiting...). I recently added running lights for daytime visibility to my stack of farkels.

Checked out your website and may I say - nice pics! you're going to go far with that business. I see some nice post photos on this forum in your future showing us that fix for the excessive driveline lash using your models to point to the solutions. ;)

Good luck & safe riding,

gitterdan :beach:

Congrats on a great bike and good attitude but I think you have way too much bike. If you were my best friend I would do all I could to convince you to buy a used bike 400-550cc and 350-450lbs, no more. That would be MUCH more appropriate to learn on and you would actually become a much better rider, quicker and be safer in the process. Then after a season, sell the used bike and transfer what you have learned to the FJR. Even then it will be a major step-up.

That's my .02!

hey daniel,

well, there's no doubt you got more bike than you NEED at this point, but with the proper respect for it, which it sounds like you have, you'll do fine. the biggest concern i have for you at this point is not going 140 and killing yourself. you sound smarter than that. i worry that you will get into a slow speed situation, uphill, gravel, slippery footing, whatever, and drop your feej. you won't hurt anything but your plastic and your pride.

i think it would be very wise to borrow a smaller, lighter, not-so-freakin-top-heavy bike and really challenge yourself with slow speed u-turns and uphill starts and lots and lots of smooth cornering with no mid-corner braking and stuff. just a few days is all you need. then ease into the feej on blacktop and work your way into dealing with tougher situations.

you can do it all on the feej, especially if you are very careful and either tall or strong or both.

welcome to the addiction. you didn't START with heroin, but you came pretty close. :eek:

shu

The only down side is that I learned everything on a bike that within reason couldn't hurt me. I now have to take that knowledge and apply it to a bike that is a foot longer and 300lbs heavier with close to 100 more HP. We learned on Honda Nighthawk 250's. As long as I take it slow and stay at my level I should live, I accept and fully understand that the first time I exceed that safety zone is the day I may die.
Wrong buddy. The highlighted line indicates you still have a ways to go. They can all kill you, and no bike, regardless of size, is immune to all the external factors that play a large part in the riding environment. Cagers turn left in front of scooters, crossing the center line will make you a hood ornament just as fast on a 250 Virago as it will on a K1200LT, too fast into a turn with unseen gravel is just as big a surprise on a SV650 as it is on da Feej. Much of the riding experience transcends the size of the machine-a good, experienced rider can make the transition from small bike to large and back again easily-but blow the basics and size matters not-a shit rider will suck big or small. Experience, safety, and success isn't about the machine, it's about attitude and awareness, this is what seperates the men from the boys, and this is what takes time to learn, it can be done on any machine, and thrown away on any machine. ;)