Just wanted to say hello quickly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong buddy. The highlighted line indicates you still have a ways to go. They can all kill you, and no bike, regardless of size, is immune to all the external factors that play a large part in the riding environment. Cagers turn left in front of scooters, crossing the center line will make you a hood ornament just as fast on a 250 Virago as it will on a K1200LT, too fast into a turn with unseen gravel is just as big a surprise on a SV650 as it is on da Feej. Much of the riding experience transcends the size of the machine-a good, experienced rider can make the transition from small bike to large and back again easily-but blow the basics and size matters not-a shit rider will suck big or small. Experience, safety, and success isn't about the machine, it's about attitude and awareness, this is what seperates the men from the boys, and this is what takes time to learn, it can be done on any machine, and thrown away on any machine. ;)

And so it is written... Congregation, can I get an Amen?!

Welcome!

No, the FJR is not an ideal first bike. I don't think it would make any recommended list of any experienced rider. However, you have made your decision after careful consideration so there is no point in discussing the merits of your choice.

The biggest problem you will have is the weight of the bike. The power can be controlled but the weight will always be there. Be very careful when turning in intersections from a stop. If you stall the bike it will be very easy to drop it. Make sure you are very good with the clutch before you encouter heavy traffic or controlled intersections. Assume every person in a car is trying to kill you. Look at their mirrors to see if they are paying attention. Don't get upset when they cut you off, it will not do you any good. Depending on where you live, animals and road conditions can play a crucial role in your daily riding environment. Go out to some deserted area and practice, practice and practice your braking. Learn how fast this bike can stop and learn what it feels like to activate ABS. When you eventually gain confidence and find yourself taking a turn a little faster than you think you can remember that if nothing is scraping you can still lean farther. The mistake many beginning riders make is to panic and stand the bike up and try braking and as a result they run off of the road to the outside. Your best bet is to almost always try to make the turn unless adverse road conditions prevent you from attempting this. The first six weeks or so will be the most crucial for you. Always ride at your own pace. If you do end up riding with others do not try to keep up unless you are completely comfortable. Most of the riders with many years of experience know we are learning more everyday. Read a bunch and learn from the mistakes of others.

Good Luck.

It's hard to criticize your post. I'm trying hard, too.
It seems like you have the proper amount of respect for the motorcycle. You've taken training, scheduled more, bought good gear, and you're easing into the solo riding. You also made a deft choice of an ST bike. I've seen lots worse on these fora[1].

[1] See twowheelnut.
That one's got cred! Finally. :grin:

A few tips...

1) When driving at slow speed let the bike lean slightly while you remain upright, your job is to counter balance the bike.

2) Be mindful of the road conditions, wet surfaces, especially at the beginning of a rain session, loose chat on the road, even dust can cause you to inadvertantly spin if you aren't expecting it.

3) Don't push it, stay within your comfort zone, get to know your machines capabilities, practice makes perfect.

4) Until you've gotten a few months of riding under your belt avoid riding 2up, (as in, don't.)

5) If you really are serious about riding, go buy a used 650 Nighthawk or something simular. Don't take this the wrong way but the FJR really is way too heavy and powerful for a new rider. If you insist on learning to ride with the FJR I'd take the bags off it until you've ridden for a few months, you'll do less damage when you tip it over that way, (I'm not kidding.)

6) Remember, riding slow is much more difficult than riding at highway speeds. Practice going slow, preferably in a parking lot. Practice taking off from a stop, stopping, taking off on a hill, figure 8's. That's how I taught my son, on a 700 Virago no less, bought it for 1500, best investment I ever made.

Riding with a cool head in place produces a 'cool ride'. Seems like you're there already.

This bike takes care of itself on the road. Even top heavy (which I don't think that it is even with my Givi box full of crap), maintaining good balance and keeping your head UP will prevent slow speed tip overs.

Stop worrying about crashing. If you worry enough about it - you'll have one.

Ride, ride smart and enjoy riding for many, many years.

I'm 47; been riding since I was 12 and expect to be riding well into my 60's.

Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome....hope you enjoy your ride....just keep up a healthy respect for it....& that will help keep you around longer....feel free to ask questions...even if you think their are dumb....cause there are really no dumb questions....just dumb answers.... B)

Welcome to this forum Daniel. You and I have correspond on the other forum as well.

It is nice to watch your "story" unfold. Be sure to keep us posted on how things are going and how your next class goes. Be sure to share with us any insights that you learn- even the most experienced of us could learn something and need continuous refreshers- that's how we keep alive!

John

ps, all that slow speed stuff around the neighborhood is going to be more useful than you think. Almost all of the crashes that happen in my group are usually in the parking lot or diveway on a low speed turn :D

Welcome to the forum. I ride daily in Metro Atlanta and like people have already said here, ride very carefully. With people changing cd's, reading the paper, yapping on the phone the last thing on their mind is looking for a motorcycle. (or using their turn signals)

Hope you enjoy your new FJR and many years of riding. Send me a PM and we could ride together sometime.

-jwilly

Daniel,

You're going to love this bike. As a first bike, it would not be my first choice as it's big, especially in slow turns. Once you're moving, it does not feel like a big bike anymore. As long as you continue to respect the bike, you'll be okay. This is a bike you can keep for years.

I have a Nolan 102 flip helmet and love it. The flip feature is great when talking to buddies at stoplights or the gas station. It also has a sun visor which also works remarkable well. Best helmet I've ever owned. It's not as safe as a regular full face because the flip latch takes up space normally occupied by more padding for your melon. It's still way better than no helmet at all or a poor fitting helmet.

Blue Thunder

Thank you all again!

John, good to see you over here as well man.

jwilly, I'll do that but don't expect it for some time unless you want to show me some parking lot training. It will most likely be at least a month before I progress to the streets and even longer before I feel up to riding with anyone.

Welcome to the world of motorcycles.....it's a world in itself. Very addicting, very exciting and very mentally stimulating.....I've been riding for 40 years, owned a bike since I was 13....my last bike, a V-65 magna I bought new in 83, got a wild hair up my arse and sold it a couple months ago.....as the guy was driving off on it, I knew I had made a mistake......the bike always started, never talked back and outlasted 3 wives......I felt like I lost my best friend....It also immediately became apparent that if I wanted out of the house for a little while, telling your wife I wanted to go drive in my car for a little while just didn't cut the mustard. As it was always OK to go ride the bike for an hour or so, plus they never want to go (messes up their hair)....My only exit was no more.....But hopefully my new AE will arrive shortly and I'm free again!!!!

The ONE MAJOR PIECE OF ADVICE I have and most important I feel in saving my hide

Always look a motorist who could threaten you life RIGHT IN THE EYES!!!! You know, the guy or old lady stopped at the stop sign or in the left turn lane of oncoming traffic..If there's no eye contact, don't presume they won't pull out, but SLOW the heck DOWN and prepare for emergency avoidance as it's likely the SOB will pull right out in front of you......it's happened to me countless number of times.....

P.S.I too like to get it on occasWelcome to the world of motorcycles.....it's a world in itself. Very addicting, very exciting and very mentally stimulating.....I've been riding for 40 years, owned a bike since I was 13....my last bike, a V-65 magna I bought new in 83, got a wild hair up my arse and sold it a couple months ago.....as the guy was driving off on it, I knew I had made a mistake......the bike always started, never talked back and outlasted 3 wives......I felt like I lost my best friend....It also immediatelybecame apparent that if I wanted out of the house for a little while, telling your wife I wanted to go drive in my car for a little while just didn't cut the mustard. As it was always OK to go ride the bike for an hour or so, plus they never want to go (messes up thier hair)....My only exit was no more.....But hopefully my new AE will arrive shortly and I'm free again!!!!

The ONE MAJOR PIECE OF ADVICE I have and most important I feel in saving my hide

Always look a motorist who could threaten you life RIGHT IN THE EYES!!!! You know, the guy or old lady stopped at the stop sign or in the left turn lane of oncoming traffic. If there's no eye contact, don't presume they won't pull out, but SLOW the heck DOWN and prepare for emergency avoidance as it's likely the SOB will pull right out in front of you......it's happened to me countless number of times.....

P.S.I too like to get it on occasionaly,,,,believe me this little baby here will save your driver's license, ..it may seem like a lot of money, but a speeding ticket fine now runs $250, even for the smallest offense......check it out. It's the best defense again police radar I've found...and without it, your gonna get nailed....I guarantee!!!

Anyway, The H.A.R.D. system provides a wireless visual alert: a flashing LED light inside the helmet that is illuminated within your field of vision allowing immediate recognition of a radar threat.

https://www.legalspeeding.com/ionaly,,,,believe me this little baby here will save your driver's license, ..it may seem like a lot of money, but a speeding ticket fine now runs $250, even for the smallest offense......check it out. It's the best defense again police radar I've found...and without it, your gonna get nailed....I guarantee!!!

Anyway, The H.A.R.D. system provides a wireless visual alert: a flashing LED light inside the helmet that is illuminated within your field of vision allowing immediate recognition of a radar threat.

https://www.legalspeeding.com/

Enjoy

P.S.I too like to get it on occasionaly,,,,believe me this little baby here will save your driver's license, ..it may seem like a lot of money, but a speeding ticket fine now runs $250, even for the smallest offense......check it out. It's the best defense again police radar I've found...and without it, your gonna get nailed....I guarantee!!!

https://www.legalspeeding.com/ionaly,,,,believe me this little baby here will save your driver's license, ..it may seem like a lot of money, but a speeding ticket fine now runs $250, even for the smallest offense......check it out. It's the best defense again police radar I've found...and without it, your gonna get nailed....I guarantee!!!

https://www.legalspeeding.com/

Enjoy
Or you could buy it from SportbikeEffects and obtain a your forum discount:

H.A.R.D. at SportbikeEffects

Daniel,

I'm already familiar with your story from the "owners" board. Good to see you posting here for further advice :) Hope you find some of "our FJR brothers" in your area that you can meet up with. That would be a huge boost to your confidence and learning curve.

Help from this forum will come at ya in many ways (clever, sarcastic, educated, etc etc) but it will be all good stuff :) just give yourself a few days to get used to the tempo of the board and appreciate the many deviant characters :D you'll pick 'em out :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Ya I have noticed that rog, I have been in forums since I was 15 so I am used to reading through personality defects :) So far I haven't encountered anyone here that is even slightly less than personable and everyone truely does have my best interest at mind.

I started riding 13 months and 13k miles ago and the FJR is my first bike at age 53 - me not the bike. I took the MSF course and then bought and read "Proficient Motorcycling," good book for "street strategies," "Twist of the Wrist II" and "Total Control." These last two books provided the answers that the first and that the MSF class didn't as to why you do or don't do certain things (let the rear wheel slide if you lock the brake; Slow, Look, Lean, accelerate). They tell you the "WHY" or "WHY NOT" you do/don't do certain stuff. For example, why don't you hit the brakes in a turn - answer includes throwing weight on the front tire, loss of traction, bike stands up, etc. I've always been one to want to know the why of things and these two books provided some pretty thorough answers. I also took the Total Control class 10 Jun (taught by 3dogs) and that class - based on the book of the same name - really reinforced what the book teaches. Know your bike, yourself, and the art and science of riding.

My wife and kids are always on my mind too. After 26 years as a Marine and 54 years on earth I have the gift of knowing I'm not bulletproof and that reckless and uncontrolled riding can have rewards one does not necessarily want. Sermon over - have fun and be safe!

Here is what I have at the moment, if anyone can add things I should get please advise.
I have a 4 year old daughter that I always have in the back of my mind.
Don't take this the wrong way, but make sure to carry enough life insurance so your family won't be left in hardship should you depart. That comment isn't even bike-related, but life is somewhat less risky for those who don't ride. I got mine just before I bought the bike, and due to a medical condition that arose since the policy went into effect, I'm not sure I could buy more if I wanted it. Insurance is also cheaper when you're young.
Disclaimer- I'm all for FJR's as first bikes, as long as one is in touch with one's own abilities and limitations.

Aw, heck, hice.....just ride it like you stole it from stalin....and don't look back at the havoc you just wrought. Then let the forum know which parts of the scoot you need to refurbish the thing with. Always parts on sale here......

Welcome!

Not much I can add to what has allready been posted but it looks like your taking a sane approach to your insane decision to start with 145hp bike! :p :p

Practice, Practice, Practice the low speed stuff, the higher speed will be easier!

When you're in your car driving really pay attention to what people around you are doing, watch thier heads, are the front wheels starting to turn in your lane? What are they doing, where are they looking, what are they going to do next? Those are the things you need to look for on a bike and if you get used to looking for it in your car you will have a better chance of seeing it on the bike! Look for gravel, sand or oil in corners and other hazards and you will be that much closer to being a safer rider!

Congrats on a great bike!

Although it's nice to practice slow, your neighborhood streets are probably more dangerous than a limited access parkway on a Sunday. The advantage of highways is that everyone's going in the same direction. I believe statistics will bear this out. Sad, but true.

Pepperell