Key West Spring Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a CB for comm.

Question: can I invite others??? I'm thinking of 3-4 local FJR riders...what about a few non FJR riders that are past good company on trips?

I'm a Navy Vet (7 yrs) and still have my pink reserve ID card...I've considered staying at military housing in the past, but never did - yet

A number of my buds I would ask to come are Vets also...retired +20 vets in their case.
I'm retired Navy as well, and wife & I go there somewhat frequently and stay at Trumbo Pt USN/USCG base; You can get the "FEMA" trailer (we call them) for $65/night (2br,1ba), and the 3br condos for $95/night for 1st 2 adults, then $10/night for each adult afterward. Still cheap by KW standards.

Trailers ain't fancy, but good enough and with full kitchen. Condos are nicer; think old military housing units.

Call 305-293-5000 and do it as soon as you know that you'll go as it fills up esp in winter months; if you cancel they have a 3 day policy.

There is also the Gateway Inns which is also Navy but more like a hotel; on Trumbo it's the Fly Navy building. Rates vary, but think it's $40+ depending on rank and what you want. There are also rooms from them over on Truman Annex which is closer to Duval St and right next to the beach.

Gateway Inns #305-293-4305.

Biggest thing is making sure you comply with rules to get your bike(s)on base altho NAS KW has changed their policy toward retirees in a good way in that they no longer require a MSF/equivalent course within 3 yrs for retirees only. I need to get back down there to get a permanent sticker on both my bikes, and change the one over on my new-to-me car; I've had one on my former vehicles for some time.

You get stickers/visitors passes at NAS Boca Chica, which is Mile Marker 6; afterhours arrival I've always had them let me on Trumbo with proper ID and the promise that I'll go to get a base pass at first opportunity. Never taken a bike in tho...

Trumbo is a great place; reasonable walking distance to Duval St and you can go out, and if the USCG commander isn't pissed at the retirees, back in @ their personnel gate which shaves off ~4-5 blocks of walking. That or walk there and when you get all wore out and hammered, take a cab back to the USN gate...

Wife & I usually take bicycles to be honest; I posted a pic a month of so back of when we were there over Christmas/New Years.

Interesting...two day trip huh? I may have to meet you guys down in the Keys. My wife may want to leave on Friday. I let you know soon. How many of you are riding two up?

Need to get a room reserved. Any recommendations? I don't require 5 star accommodations, as long as they don't charge by the hour and have safe parking for the bike, I'm good. Obviously some place close to Duval Street would be good.

Just booked Saturday night, April 2nd, here. About $159 plus $20 in taxes. Going to be rooming with RZ350. It's just off the bridge when you arrive in KW. I had wanted something closer to Duval St, but parking seems to be an issue down there. Will keep looking for something comparable and cheaper, but wanted to get something reserved just in case.Looks like they also have a Denny's on site, which could be nice for Sunday morning.

Just booked Saturday night, April 2nd, here. About $159 plus $20 in taxes. Going to be rooming with RZ350. It's just off the bridge when you arrive in KW. I had wanted something closer to Duval St, but parking seems to be an issue down there. Will keep looking for something comparable and cheaper, but wanted to get something reserved just in case.Looks like they also have a Denny's on site, which could be nice for Sunday morning.
so there's only two of ya ???

I'll go if somebody books a room and wants a roomate

We don't have a solid headcount as of yet. So far it's RZ350, myself, 101stpathfinder (maybe 2up) and mitcspe (also 2up). Have maybes from fljab, majicmaker, ryann, and Tim'sonDFJR. Once we know who all is going and where they are coming from, we can start to get a travel plan put together.

Mike,

If ya wanna, stop by Casa Del Manatee and spend the night, then we'll shoot down to the keys together and split a room.

How does that sound to ya???

Mike,

If ya wanna, stop by Casa Del Manatee and spend the night, then we'll shoot down to the keys together and split a room.

How does that sound to ya???
Ok

Dave,

You may want to rethink staying at this hotel. It and the one next to it have have some of worst ratings in Key West. While some people will never be happy, the majority staying there and at the Lexington had nothing good to say. Most felt it was dirty, old, smelled old and stuff didn't work. One comment mentioned that the hotel had a bedbug infestation at some point (registered on the hotels with bedbugs site). Another mentioned if you book through a hotel saver site you'll get the worst room(s) in the house. I have a close friend who's brother-in-law has lived in KW for over 10 years. I asked to see if she could get some recommendations from him. If 2 or 3 people can share a room (3rd on a pullout sofa ) I'm hoping to find something that is half decent and reasonably priced. Without question there are a lot of very expensive places. How much are people going on this ride willing to pay for the night? Getting an idea of that will help in getting recommndations.

Tim

Thanks for the heads-up Tim. It always helps to get some input from locals or those that have been there before. RZ350 and myself were planning splitting a room so I was hoping to find something in the $150 range. One of our concerns is parking. A lot of the smaller places stated that they had a few unreserved parking spots and that everyone else would be parked on the street. Let me know what you hear. Would not have a problem canceling the other.

We don't have a solid headcount as of yet. So far it's RZ350, myself, 101stpathfinder (maybe 2up) and mitcspe (also 2up). Have maybes from fljab, <snip>
It's really looking like that's the weekend for the drive to Delaware. We have to go up there every 3-4 months and much of the sched of when we go is dependent on when wifey gets the time off.

Another twist to my own Key West trip scheduling is that my wife's cousin from Delaware is going to be riding his Harley down with his new wife and is looking at going to KW for a couple of days. He's retired Army so we "might" go when they ride down; that's the end of April/early May.

Dave,

I heard from the person who lives in Key West, here is his first reply:

"I'll get some names and locations of hotels that hopefully fit your needs in Key West. Some of the newer facilities have large units with 2 bed rooms and a sleeper complete with 2 bath, living room, and kitchen, something that can be split by 2 or 3 couples. Many are just your standard 2 bed hotel and they are nice It's my understanding this is for 1 night, could be tough as many require a 2 nite stay.... I'll get back to you with some info."

I'll pass along what he finds.

Tim

Can I get a thumbs up from those of you that are definitely planning on making this trip and where you are coming from? Thanks!

I stayed at the Best Western Hibiscus a few years ago. Good location (walking distance to Duval), decent hotel and reasonably priced (at least back then). Make sure you cover up for the long ride out to Key West. Sun burn is a b*tch!!!

Can I get a thumbs up from those of you that are definitely planning on making this trip and where you are coming from? Thanks!
You've got a "Definite Maybe" from RadioHowie.....coming from Central Florida (not far from you!)

I know it's just 3 weeks away, but at my age, 3 weeks is an eternity! :lol: