Kickstand..what's the secret...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamie

Reaction score
Tried to put the FJR on the centerstand for the first time a little while ago....couldn't do it.... was putting a lot of effort into it and not getting anywhere...so thought I was doing something wrong... any trick to it???

Yup. Use your legs and leverage. Kinda hard to explain. You have to pull up with your right hand on the handle, back with your left hand on the handlebars, and push down with your foot. If you do it right, it snaps up without even breaking a sweat.

Yup. Use your legs and leverage. Kinda hard to explain. You have to pull up with your right hand on the handle, back with your left hand on the handlebars, and push down with your foot. If you do it right, it snaps up without even breaking a sweat.

+1

even for us chiks... :rolleyes:

+1

even for us chiks... :rolleyes:
all right, you go girl! for myself, i find it easier to grab the passenger hand hold, just a little further back than the handle. works a treat!

Put yer left foot out.........put yer right foot down.......something, women, something and you work it all around........

hmmm....

lemme guess what's pokey, and yup, definitely 'hokey'

:p

... for myself, i find it easier to grab the passenger hand hold, just a little further back than the handle. works a treat!

A word of caution about the passenger hand hold, it's made out of ABS plastic. It may look pretty tough on top, but the weakest point is where it comes out from under the passenger seat. They cost about $280 new from Mama Yamaha.

Please don't ask me how I know. :huh: :angry:

Brodie

Thanks.....got her up....easy when you do it the right way.....
The only time I use the center stand is for maintenance so I pull the rear tire up onto a 2x4. Or 2, depending on the clearance needed for oil change, wheel removal, etc. With 1 2x4 the bike sort of falls onto the stand with little to no effort. 2 boards give the extra room for easy rear wheel removal by putting a 3/4" piece of plywood under the stand, again with little to no effort.

Ok, I admit it, I'm a wuss :rolleyes: . But it's my job to teach people to work smarter, not harder. I've always remembered what my teacher said many years ago, "Necessity is NOT the mother of invention. Laziness is."

Thanks.....got her up....easy when you do it the right way.....
The only time I use the center stand is for maintenance so I pull the rear tire up onto a 2x4. Or 2, depending on the clearance needed for oil change, wheel removal, etc. With 1 2x4 the bike sort of falls onto the stand with little to no effort. 2 boards give the extra room for easy rear wheel removal by putting a 3/4" piece of plywood under the stand, again with little to no effort.

Ok, I admit it, I'm a wuss :rolleyes: . But it's my job to teach people to work smarter, not harder. I've always remembered what my teacher said many years ago, "Necessity is NOT the mother of invention. Laziness is."
I use mine everytime I'm parked at home. With a 3 year old running around (who has an utter fascination with motorcycles) I think it's a bit harder for him to accidentally tip over when being rambunctious.

---hellcreep

Tried to put the FJR on the centerstand for the first time a little while ago....couldn't do it.... was putting a lot of effort into it and not getting anywhere...so thought I was doing something wrong... any trick to it???
Not that difficult, once you get the hang of it. Try with a smaller/lighter bike first, you'll get the idea.

I only weigh 150 when wet so it's not so much a matter of weight or strength. It's more a matter of leverage. With the side stand up stand facing the bike with your left hand on the bars and your right in the hand hold. I like to keep the bike leaning slightly toward me. With your right foot press the center stand down until you feel it level the bike. Then at the same time step down with your weight on your right foot and pull up with your right hand. The bike will jump right up set pretty. Made me a little nervous the first few times but you will get the hang of it. All your left hand is doing is steadying the bike.

I seem to recall that one of the "improvements on the 06 (Gen II) model was an easier operating center stand. :unsure:

I can tell you this, it's a damn site easier than my 91 FJ1200. :glare:

Thanks for all the replies.... especially about the flat tire warning.... now that I can easily get it on the centerstand I will use it..

Ride safe... Hamie