KRYLON Reflect-A-Lite

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a can of this stuff - and just wondering if anyone on the forum has any history with it.

Krylon Reflect-A-Lite Spraypaint

MSDS available here

Supposedly this paint can be applied over other painted surfaces - and is clear, allowing the painted surface to show -

I'm thinking that it could be used to make surfaces on the FJR reflective at night - or even the back of a helmet? Fork tubes? Rear fenders? Fairing surfaces? what do you think?

I'm going to play with this (NOT on the FJR) and see what it's like. Then maybe I'll paint up the wife's Sienna, and see what happens ... :blink:

A little off topic, but I saw a post on another forum about using this stuff to paint your license plate so red-light and toll booth cameras can't snap pictures of your plate. Don't know how well it works but a few people stated that if you use a flash camera that you couldn't read the plate anymore.

Let us know how it works for you!

-jwilly

I picked up a can of this stuff - and just wondering if anyone on the forum has any history with it.
Krylon Reflect-A-Lite Spraypaint

MSDS available here

Supposedly this paint can be applied over other painted surfaces - and is clear, allowing the painted surface to show -

I'm thinking that it could be used to make surfaces on the FJR reflective at night - or even the back of a helmet? Fork tubes? Rear fenders? Fairing surfaces? what do you think?

I'm going to play with this (NOT on the FJR) and see what it's like. Then maybe I'll paint up the wife's Sienna, and see what happens ... :blink:

Wow-- $120 for a can of spray paint !!!!!!!!!!!! That must be some serious shit. Looks cool though. Definitely keep us posted on how it looks on the paint and how reflective it is.

Wow-- $120 for a can of spray paint !!!!!!!!!!!! That must be some serious shit. Looks cool though. Definitely keep us posted on how it looks on the paint and how reflective it is.
Chuck, your getting old my friend. That's for a case of 12.... or at least I hope a single can doesnt weigh 12.75lbs!! :eek:

A little off topic, but I saw a post on another forum about using this stuff to paint your license plate so red-light and toll booth cameras can't snap pictures of your plate. Don't know how well it works but a few people stated that if you use a flash camera that you couldn't read the plate anymore.
Let us know how it works for you!

-jwilly
https://www.photoblocker.com/www/index.html

Chuck, your getting old my friend. That's for a case of 12.... or at least I hope a single can doesnt weigh 12.75lbs!! :eek:
doh -- you are right -

the only place I found it on the web that sold it by the can it was still $17.68 a can without shipping.

doh -- you are right -

the only place I found it on the web that sold it by the can it was still $17.68 a can without shipping.

Try McMaster-Carr - McMaster-Carr Link it's on page 1978 of the catalog. $12.58 ea. and you can always pick up lots of other goodies while you're there. As an example, look at page 3494 - you can actually buy brass balls !!! :yahoo:

another manufacture of reflective paint.........https://www.duplicolor.com/products/nitelites.html

interesting to see what the wheels on the fjr would look like at night ......

What color does it reflect? White? Yellow? Red?

Technically, the decals many of us have on our panniers may be illegal in CA. IIRC, Rogerfaster asked a CHP buddy and anything facing rearward should be "RED" (Y'know....red on the back, amber on the front.). I realize that none of us have ever been pulled over and ticketed and probably won't be, but it might be a lot easier to remove the stick-ons than to repaint should the situation ever arise. :unsure:

But the stuff sure looks like a good idea. Let us see some pictures when you're done, Hal.

What color does it reflect? White? Yellow? Red?
Technically, the decals many of us have on our panniers may be illegal in CA. IIRC, Rogerfaster asked a CHP buddy and anything facing rearward should be "RED" (Y'know....red on the back, amber on the front.). I realize that none of us have ever been pulled over and ticketed and probably won't be, but it might be a lot easier to remove the stick-ons than to repaint should the situation ever arise. :unsure:

But the stuff sure looks like a good idea. Let us see some pictures when you're done, Hal.
Mike,

The marketing pics I've seen shows it reflecting light - white - just like the 3m black reflectors I have on my bags.

I'm waiting for a +70 degree day to play with it, so it may be a bit before I have any results. Now if I can just get the cat to hold still....... :blink:

Like any other painting application, the surface to be painted with this product will need to be scuffed/prepped before applying.

I was at a local AutoZone today and see that Duplicolor offers a similar product, maybe less expensive as well.

Found a link with some info here:

https://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/nilirepa.html