Larger Windshields

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrustyKola

Reaction score
I am 6'2 and feel that I not quite in the sweet spot behind the stock shield ( when full up position ).

I wonder if anyone has gone to a taller screen and if that worked for them.

I believe I have the stock Taller Yammie windshield. I am 6'3., and I still can't find the sweet spot unless I crouch. ...man I wish I were 5'10.

I'm 6'3" tall. I spose you could say I have a long torso, so I am riding tall in the saddle.

I bought the California Scientific xtra tall shield. I still have to duck 2" to get into silence, but it is not because the shield is too short.

The problem is that the shield is too flat to the wind in the raised position. I'm still trying to find a way to angle the shield toward me.

Bottom line is I love this windshield. Crosswinds seem to affect me less and the turbulence from passing 18 wheelers (me passing them of course) or riding behind vehicles on the interstate is soo much more stable.

Please note: the windshield is not absolutely perfect. The material is not absolutely completely clear and ultra smooth, but you wouldn't notice it if you weren't anal and didn't examine it under a microscope.

Highly recommend it. Actually, if you are shorter than us the windshield may give perfectly silent air for those that wouldn't have to raise the shield from its smooth angle.

The problem is that the shield is too flat to the wind in the raised position. I'm still trying to find a way to angle the shield toward me.
I'm quite convinced that this is the problem with every windshield on the FJR. At least every one I've tried (OEM, CB+4+2, V-Stream). Try pingin' Skyway and ask about a set of spacers. He said he was bringin' some to WFO in case you're heading that way. FWIW, I'm now running the Cee Bailey's and plan to go back to the V-Stream for the cooler months, as it really blocks the airflow.

I've got Cee Bailey's +4/+3 and am happy with it. I'm only 5'11", but I suspect you'd do fine riding with the shield a couple of inches higher than I do. People have also been happy with Rifle and CalSci. I'm interested in the V-Stream 'cause I hear it's quieter.

I am 6'2 and feel that I not quite in the sweet spot behind the stock shield ( when full up position ).
Nope! Especially if you are looking for a "cone of silence". At 6'2" w/ 32" inseam I've tried the oversize Yamaha, tried adding a laminar lip, CeeNailey's +4, +3 w/ lip, Cee Bailey's +4, +3 w/o lip. I can't get a silent place for my helmet unless I crouch down: Same effect of all the windshields I've tried.

I have a set of Skyway's spacers and they help tilt the windshield back and, for me, they help as the helmet is now in "clear" air....not necessarily good for riding in the rain. :rolleyes:

I am currently running the CeeBailey's w/ flip, but I cut 2" of the lip to decrease the wind buffet effect (plus its clear). I am considering cutting this windshield to emulate the V-stream (i.e., trimming the sides in an "hourglass" shape).

In the Winter I run the +4, +3 w/o flip.

IMO, the fairing nose piece is about 2" too far forward (for the rider) and about 2" too low. My Concours, with a tall screen, was quiet as is my XS100 with a Windjammer, so its a design issue with the FJR. OF course, we'd all be complaining about the lack of air circulation and then we'd be back on the merry-go-'round.

Its nothing I can't live with by using earplugs, but I don't know of any tall rider who has founda general, one-size-fits-all solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Yamaha taller windshield on the 2003.

I am 6' - 3" and really like mine.

Perhaps helmet choice comes into play as well, I have a Shoei RF900 that I bought a few years earlier. I noticed it gave me less buffeting etc. even on the cruiser I used to ride than my older helmets.

I have the Yamaha taller windshield on the 2003.
I am 6' - 3" and really like mine.

Perhaps helmet choice comes into play as well, I have a Shoei RF900 that I bought a few years earlier. I noticed it gave me less buffeting etc. even on the cruiser I used to ride than my older helmets.

I just installed a CalSci Medium and love it. I am 6"1, with a Corbin saddle. I need to lower it an inch or so and then I have no trouble seeing over the top of the screen. Best screen I have ever bought. I am on Gary McCoy's list waiting for a National Cycle V-Stream. Looks like it's going to be a while so I went ahead and purchased one from CalSci. When the V-Stream comes in I'll have a spare.

I am 6'2 and feel that I not quite in the sweet spot behind the stock shield ( when full up position ).I wonder if anyone has gone to a taller screen and if that worked for them.
What year bike? I have a 4 by 4 C-bailey on my 06 and it works alot better than stock (It sucked for me). But I'll most likely try a Vstream when they get released,it seems like the stock/ C bailey curve can be improved on to increase the quiet zone. I'm 6'0", 34 inseam.

The Search button is your friend!

Putting in +taller +windshield or +larger +windshield yields many threads on the subject.

6'4" and like my Cee Bailey's +4+2.

I have a 06 that I am looking for a screen for.

I did find addition threads via the search, thanks

Has anybody have a V-stream? I see that people want one or are waiting for one

but does anyone have one installed?

From what I read I am leaning toward the calsci shield. I do not want

any spare +150$ windshields but thats me. :) So thanks for all the input it helps alot.

any spare +150$ windshields but thats me. :) So thanks for all the input it helps alot.
Last I heard V-stream's are in production/waiting for production mode. My "test" shields will be on Ebay so they won't cost as much.

I am real happy with the Cee Baileys screen. You can order it in just about any height you want. I am running a +2 and it works great for me.

I just switched from a CB +4+2 standard to a V-stream. The V is 15-25% quieter, and definitely hotter. I consistently get 3 bars while riding above 80 degree days. The CB was not as bad with the heat, but not much better either. I've had 3 shield, stock, CB, then V. The V is the best so far. My CB is for sale if anyone is interested, check the classifieds.

my 2 cents...

i bought a cee bailey +3, +2 with flip for my 2004 fjr and i liked it little enough to sell it to my friend, who likes it quite a lot.

in the summer i now see the goal as getting enough cooling air to the rider rather than to shield and redirect it away from the rider, so i'm now going the other direction.

The Rifle Touring windshield is just wonderful on my 04. I am also 6ft 2" and experience no buffeting and with the windshield all the way up no wind noise and no rain. I no longer carry rain gear even on extended trips. Can't say enough good about this windshield. Without it I probably wouldn"t have kept the bike.

Rob.

I purchased a calsci medium for my '06 and really like it. Full up I have ever so slight wind hitting the very top of my helmet and you can hear every sound the bike makes. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam. However, in this 95+ heat, the full down position will let the wind hit my upper neck and helmet but I don't get enough air around my body so I went back to stock for summer.

Careful mounting the calsci - I have seen another '06 where in the down position the windscreen hit the brackets for the mirrors. There is a little "slop", so when mounting, push the windscreen up then tighten your screws. I have around 1/4" clearence on both sides.

I purchased a calsci medium for my '06 and really like it. Full up I have ever so slight wind hitting the very top of my helmet and you can hear every sound the bike makes. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam. However, in this 95+ heat, the full down position will let the wind hit my upper neck and helmet but I don't get enough air around my body so I went back to stock for summer.

Careful mounting the calsci - I have seen another '06 where in the down position the windscreen hit the brackets for the mirrors. There is a little "slop", so when mounting, push the windscreen up then tighten your screws. I have around 1/4" clearence on both sides.
Thanks for info KYFJR, now I am concerned about going to far and getting too hot! I have a thought to go cross country next summer and what I get is with that trip in mind.

I did find a ton of posts on the V-Stream and if the looks of it don't bother you the only downside I saw was that it was also too effective during warm weather.