LASIK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with the younger guy, if your eyes are still changing they want to wait until your prescription has settled down.

Just got back from the eye dr. to have a thorough evaluation done to determine if I was a candidate to have LASIK surgery done to correct my nearsightedness and very slight astigmatism. He says I am a candidate. Has anyone had this done and, if so, do you have any regrets? Any issue with nighttime riding?He dilated my pupils and I can't see shit right now!!!! :bigeyes:
If you choose to have it done, only do 1 eye at a time and insure that you're eyes heal like most other people's do. The % chance that it may make your vision worse is reportedly small. But if it happens to be you, then that chance is 100%. Don't fart around with your vision.

And for goodness sake don't forget to cover your eyes at night so that you can't rub them. If you rub them and the cornea stays off and dries out you r f***. That is one of the stories you will read about. Keep them moist and covered at night and don't rub them....

If you choose to have it done, only do 1 eye at a time and insure that you're eyes heal like most other people's do.
No one has specifically mentioned it yet, but the latest trend for people with just common deteriorating eyesight after 40 years old is to have "monovision". They only zap one eye to correct the nearsightedness (so you can see far) and let the other one adjust to help you see monitors and other stuff closer (I already was using reading glasses while consuming books for work or pleasure). I had this done a year ago and it is great. Since my eyes were perfect candidates (they could zap them 3 more times for touch ups) I opted not to get the $400/eye waveform treatment which is supposed to help with night vision issues. I never had any problems driving at night before or after my eyes got zapped.

Also go somewhere good. I paid $1200 to get only one eye zapped. There were ads in the paper saying both eyes for $399, but when I called them the admitted to using the older type lazer and couldn't offer the waveform technology so I went to Pacific Lazer in Northern California, they have done more eyes than all the other places combined.

I have been in the optical field for almost 30 years and had lasik done over 10 years ago with no regrets. I was around -7.00 in both eyes. Like others have said, don't go cheap on your eyes. I don't buy cheap steak, why scrimp here.

I was around fourty when I had it done, and had about 5 years without any reading help, but now at 50 anything within 3 feet is toast. I know I could have had better near vision with no surgery, but the trade off is worth it. I can go riding,( need bifocals to see map on tank bag) hunting, skiing, swimming etc without glasses, where before I would not be able to find the floor without specs. I am asked almost daily in our office about lasik,(two of my opthamologists are for and two against) and my response is don't wait another day.

So are you awake during this surgery? Do you see what's happening to your eyeball? <shudder>

I wear Day & Night contacts for 30 days straight. They're comfortable, I see well during the day (no night riding in the twisties for me), and convenient. Still, I wonder from time to time about Lasik. Thanks for the thread. This has been interesting.

So are you awake during this surgery? Do you see what's happening to your eyeball? <shudder>
I wear Day & Night contacts for 30 days straight. They're comfortable, I see well during the day (no night riding in the twisties for me), and convenient. Still, I wonder from time to time about Lasik. Thanks for the thread. This has been interesting.
Awake but they put stuff in your eyes. When they cut the cornea you only feel a little push on your eye like putting in contacts.

You have to stare at a light but the marvel of the machine is the tracking of any small eye movement...

Azbikergirl, If you can wear contacts comfortably, it does make your choice harder. As with anything, newer and better are always on the horizon. It all comes down to, are the risks worth the benefits. I also think that wearing contacts nite and day is a risk. Most contact lens problems that doctors deal with are from extended wear or over wear. Good luck.

I had LASIK to fix my nearsightedness (+2.0 in both eyes) about 5 years ago. My vision is STILL 20/15 in both eyes (or is that 20/10 if you can read the bottom line with both eyes?).

I'm a big advocate of the procedure...

t minus 5 hours and counting. having both eyes done this afternoon. looking forward to getting this monkey off my back that I've been carrying around for about 25 years.

t minus 5 hours and counting. having both eyes done this afternoon. looking forward to getting this monkey off my back that I've been carrying around for about 25 years.
You have someone going with you right? You will be basically blind afterwards...

You're gonna love the results. I disagree that you'll be "basically blind" afterwards, or at least, that sure wasn't my experience. But I agree and strongly recommend that you have someone take you and drive you home. Tomorrow, you'll be able to drive just fine. (Last two sentences were what my surgeon advised me, and he was right about that too.)

After I got out, I got a ride home with those very dark wrap around glasses they give you. Your pupils are dilated, so you're very light sensitive. Glad I wasn't driving, not because I was blind, but because my eyes were still numbed out and dilated, and my vision was very slightly hazy. Still, I was reading license plates and bumper stickers the whole way home -- loving the fact that I could do that again without glasses or contacts.

I had no real discomfort that afternoon while lounging around the house. Driving in to see the surgeon the next morning for the pre-op checkup was pure grins -- something everyone else in the waiting room was wearing also. Took me a few days to stop reading everything I saw and testing out just how good each eye was.

t minus 5 hours and counting.  having both eyes done this afternoon.  looking forward to getting this monkey off my back that I've been carrying around for about 25 years.
You're gonna love the results. I disagree that you'll be "basically blind" afterwards, or at least, that sure wasn't my experience. But I agree and strongly recommend that you have someone take you and drive you home. Tomorrow, you'll be able to drive just fine. (Last two sentences were what my surgeon advised me, and he was right about that too.)

After I got out, I got a ride home with those very dark wrap around glasses they give you. Your pupils are dilated, so you're very light sensitive. Glad I wasn't driving, not because I was blind, but because my eyes were still numbed out and dilated, and my vision was very slightly hazy. Still, I was reading license plates and bumper stickers the whole way home -- loving the fact that I could do that again without glasses or contacts.

I had no real discomfort that afternoon while lounging around the house. Driving in to see the surgeon the next morning for the pre-op checkup was pure grins -- something everyone else in the waiting room was wearing also. Took me a few days to stop reading everything I saw and testing out just how good each eye was.
You do know the term for legally blind and stone cold blind are completely different.

Don't take my words so literal. After the procedure he really is in no condition to drive and the doctors all recommend having someone there for you. In my experience things were hazy and I didn't want to give myself a headache so I kept my eyes closed and when I went home I just laid down and took a nap.

Be safe and you will love the results...

So, what you're all saying is that I shouldn't ride my bike to have this done? Thought it might be an interesting ride with my pupils dilated, eyeballs numb, and those cool wrap-around dark sunglasses. Add in the 2 valium he perscribed and we have ourselves one hell of a party!!!!

j/k, of course. yep - the wife's gonna be there to drive me home. btw - if you see her, don't tell her I should be ok by tomorrow. I'm gonna try to milk this out through the weekend. Maybe even get some extra special sympathy lovin'.

Getting my left eye done 17th Feb, (right eye is 20/20, left is 20/400+)

Good luck Randy.

Chris

So, what you're all saying is that I shouldn't ride my bike to have this done? Thought it might be an interesting ride with my pupils dilated, eyeballs numb, and those cool wrap-around dark sunglasses. Add in the 2 valium he perscribed and we have ourselves one hell of a party!!!!j/k, of course. yep - the wife's gonna be there to drive me home. btw - if you see her, don't tell her I should be ok by tomorrow. I'm gonna try to milk this out through the weekend. Maybe even get some extra special sympathy lovin'.
Well, my experience was that the next day since I look at computers all day (mostly forums :D ) I wasn't ready. My eyes also suffered from having the tear ducts not function for a while so I had to use drops constantly. Driving at night for me also didn't happen for at least a month.

Halo's cover the entire street. Now glare still occurs but I have learned to deal and not anything like in the beginning.

I had lasik done about 7 years ago, it took about a year to get rid of the halo's, but I do find, when my eyes get tired, slight halo's do come back. Also when you get them done, buy yourself the best sunglasses you can afford, both optically correct and uv protected. It will do your eyes a favor and make it a pleasure to see without the strain.

It also should apply to the type of visor on your helmet, it should be "Optically correct", i.e. I had several helmets before and one of my favorite helmets the Arai Quantam II was very comfortable and great airflow until I rode at night. The lense made seeing my dash very difficult, it kept distorting each time I turned or angled my view. This over time, made me a little sick, sort of car sickness. I took care of it by buying a optically correct visor, which ended up to be fog proof also, by Scorpion.

Would I do it over again? Absolutely! After wearing glasses all my life and contacts, I couldn't understand why I didn't do it earlier. Both of my sisters and my mom, had lasik done after I told them the process. They had worse conditions, and my mom wore hard contacts for over 30 years and now uses reading glasses sometimes.

Hi guys, just now revisiting this thread.

Randy, good luck, at this point you are probably right in the thick of it.

Just for general info: there are several reasons for glare which have been touched on, and several solutions.

1) Pupils larger than 6.5 mm in the dark

2)prescritions larger than -6.00 diopters

3) Dry eye. and be aware your eyes are generally dryer after Lasik. Treat ment can include artificial tears, Restasis or puntal occlusion.

The first 2 can be minimized by having Custom Lasik done. With the original Lasik there is a distinct demarcation between the untreated and treated zone. Think of a manhole cover being taken out of the road. Now if you had a grinder and beveled the edges of the manhole so that the bottom came up at an angle to meet the road surface you would have custom Lasik. Boy that was a mouth full. Anyway, the smoothing of that juction is what helps with decresing glare.

WARCHILD:There are some-

things coming on the horizon that may help you too

Hi guys, just now revisiting this thread.
Randy, good luck, at this point you are probably right in the thick of it.

Just for general info: there are several reasons for glare which have been touched on, and several solutions.

1) Pupils larger than 6.5 mm in the dark

2)prescritions larger than -6.00 diopters

3) Dry eye. and be aware your eyes are generally dryer after Lasik. Treat ment can include artificial tears, Restasis or puntal occlusion.

The first 2 can be minimized by having Custom Lasik done. With the original Lasik there is a distinct demarcation between the untreated and treated zone. Think of a manhole cover being taken out of the road. Now if you had a grinder and beveled the edges of the manhole so that the bottom came up at an angle to meet the road surface you would have custom Lasik. Boy that was a mouth full. Anyway, the smoothing of that juction is what helps with decresing glare.

WARCHILD:There are some-

things coming on the horizon that may help you too
gr8eyes,

I had to have the more expensive procedure because my eyes are "big" and had it done about rough estimate 2 years ago.

Glare is pretty bad as I have to stare at the street lines when cars are oncoming to stay on the road. I can deal enough to drive but is a pain.

Would revisiting a doctor be advised for the procedure you describe? Is there a name for the procedure?

Sparky, what I'm talking about is called Custom Ablation. Obviously, not having ever seen you, I'm only guessing. If your Glare is caused from your pupils being larger than 6.5-7.0mm in the dark it may help. Also do you have any residual nearsightedness they could fix at the same time. Dr.'s are real hesitant to go back and do procedures unless something really needs attention. You and the Dr.'s would have to decide if you feel like you are debilitated enough that it would be worth it.

Glenn