LASIK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt I would go have it done as having it done the first time was a big step for me. I just wanted some information.

Thanks

Since my eyes were in the 300-400 range I couldn't be happier with my 20/15 :D :agent:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow gr8eyes, you really seem to know your stuff here! How about setting up a group buy on eye surgery? :lol:

It pretty interesting reading all of this and getting the information. Personally messing with my eyes scares the hell out of me. The thought of something going wrong and possibly going blind really scares me. I know the chances are small, but with the kind of luck I have, it would probably happen. :bigeyes:

I've only heard of 2-3 instances where there was a catastrophic incident resulting in total blindness or loss of an eye. Both instances were from incompetent Drs.

They happened as a result of not setting the proper depth to the microkeratome. The thing that used to make the cut for the flap. (This is now also done with the Laser). So, instead of shaving off 168 microns worth of cornea it cut the whole front part off. Quick nurse get me the sutures!!!! That procedure was analogous to taking a wood plane and shaving 1/8 inch off the edge of a 2x4 vs cutting a full 4 inches off at one time. Not good.

Glenn

Welp, I had the procedure done at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. I had previously witnessed the procedure being done, so, I had an idea of what I was getting into.

When I got to the office (he perscribed 2 valium - 1 to take when I arrived at the office and 1 for when I got home to help me relax/sleep), the doc proceed to test my vision for the 3rd time to ensure the same results, took some other form of scan of my eyes (he said he was 'taking pictures') to ensure he saw the same things as he saw on my initial 2 consultations. After that, he went to prep the machine as the assistant started putting series of drops in my eyes. I'm guessing one of them was a numbing agent as I never felt anything on my eye during the whole procedure.

They then took me back into the room and laid me down on the table. Things moved very quickly. They taped my right eye open and then used a speculum (sp?) to hold it open. There was a bit of discomfort when they did the suction before the cut, but, it wasn't a big deal. Then I saw a series of lights and things got dark and then light again and then they started with the procedure. It went very quickly. There was a very faint scent of burning, but, I knew that was coming, so, it wasn't a big deal. When the machine was finished, he put the flap back and seemed to do some light brushing (guessing he was making sure the flap was taking hold and was in the right place). He wouldn't move onto the other eye until he was sure everything was ok with the flap. Once he saw it was ok, the same process was repeated on the other eye.

When the procedure was done, they put in some more drops and then gave me some dorky looking glasses to put on. Actually, they weren't real bad - almost looked like some of the clear lensed wrap-arounds that some of the helmetless riders wear. I was instructed to keep those on until my follow up this morning and that included sleeping in them. From the time I got to the office till the time I left, 50 minutes had elapsed - much quicker than I expected.

Once I got home, I popped the other valium and laid down to rest. Wasn't long before I was asleep. When I woke up, I could see, but, things were very hazy. I did my best to keep my eyes closed the remainder of the night except when I got up to put drops in. Very boring to only listen to TV for a few hours.

Got a good nights sleep and, when I woke up this morning, I could see pretty good, but, it wasn't perfect and things were a bit hazy.

I went to the docs for a follow up at 7:15 for him to check my eyes. 20-20 (saw all characters on the 20-20 line and a few characters on the 20-15 line) in the left eye and 20-25 (saw all characters on the 20-25 line and some characters on the 20-20 line) in my right eye when tested individually. This was great news for me as I have always had a slight astigmatism in my left eye and it was never really clear even with correction (couldn't bear to use the contacts that correct astigmatism). When using both eyes, I could see the 20-20 line and a few characters on the 20-15 line. He said that was good, but, don't get too excited. He said sometimes people come in the next day at 20-20 and it goes to 20-40 in a few days. Conversely, he said some people come in at 20-40 the next day and then get to 20-20 in a few days.

Right now, things seem pretty good, just a bit hazy. Keeping up with all the eye drops they provided (antibiotics?) and using plenty of the rewetting drops to keep them from drying out.

As of right now, absolutely delighted with the results, but, still too early to tell the final results and lots of healing time ahead of me.

Good luck Randy!! I too would like to have that done, still a bit too chicken, have problems w/possible screw ups, it aint like the Dr can exclaim: oops, do over! Get well soon! :sleepy:

Now if you can get rid of the bad habbits for example: Adjusting your ghost perscription glasses on your nose, reaching for your ghost glasses on your night stand, preventing your head from tipping, so your ghost glasses dont fall off, double checking your eyes to see if you put in your contacts...things like this are common after your surgery, so keep it in mind and you'll have a great chuckle.

Should be an easy transition. Wore contacts for about 15-20 years. But, had been wearing glasses for only the last 3 weeks, so, didn't have the chance to get into too much of a routine.

Now if you can get rid of the bad habbits for example: Adjusting your ghost perscription glasses on your nose, reaching for your ghost glasses on your night stand, preventing your head from tipping, so your ghost glasses dont fall off, double checking your eyes to see if you put in your contacts...things like this are common after your surgery, so keep it in mind and you'll have a great chuckle.
Too funny. I did the physical stuff you talk about for a great while. I laughed to myself each time.

I still have dreams of wearing glasses and taking them off realizing I had the surgery done but still need the glasses, too weird.

I have a friend that got his finger cut off and the ghost finger was with him for a while also.

Congrats Randy

Randy the cornea has a bit of edema in it ,thats swelling, which will go away in 48-72 hres. When the swelling goes down the haziness will go away and everything should be nice and sharp.

Radman, diabetes doesn't preclude you from having Lasik but you need to have a fairly stable Blood Sugar for a couple of months. The healing process may take 4-5 days instead of 2-3 though.

Glenn

Donald, actually, there is very little that can go wrong that you can go back and fix. "do overs" are possible on most things that go wrong. There were some things early on, say 96-99 that could happen and end up with a less than desireable outcome but the custom lasik has addressed most of those.

Glenn

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Glenn, thanks for the insight (no pun intended). I can tell a huge difference just over the course of the last few hours. My doc said the same thing which is probably why he asked for another follow up on Tuesday.

A friend of mine had this done by another eye doc in the area that has billboards all over, advertises on the radio, etc. I went along with her for her procedure and just figured that he did it the way everyone else did. Well, after going through my experience with a different doctor, I'm glad I did a little bit of research and talked with some other folks that had it done by him. He doesn't advertise - it's all word of mouth. His thoroughness and bedside manner was head and shoulders above what I saw with my friend that had hers done. I'm glad I spent a few extra bucks to have it done where I did.

Randy, I'm glad its working out for you. It is possible that in the future you may regress a bit but that can always be "touched up" or "enhanced". I'm assuming you would still have enough corneal tissue to do an enhancement.

Glenn

Too funny. I did the physical stuff you talk about for a great while. I laughed to myself each time.
+1 but apply it to reflexive head-tossing to flip the hair out of your eyes... even to this day... and anyone who knows me understands that hasn't been a problem for a few years.

Brings up a question about corrections for astymbaribareyeatizms. I've considered custom lasik for at least my right eye. Even with corrective lenses, I'm pretty much dead in the water if I have to depend on it for anything. It's bad enough and my eye's have corrected for it so long that the right eye is pretty much ignored for anything other than (poor) depth perception. If I close my left eye I have to really force it to work very hard to read this text even through my byfocals.

I generally find that I like having my glasses on when I ride. I often flip up my shield at lights and leave it up for a bit, particularly on warm days. I would be reluctant to ride without glasses of some sort as they provide an extra layer of protection for the eye. I think once you have worn glasses for a week or so they seem natural. The ones I have are so lightweight I actually miss them when I don't have them on.

I once had a small rock thrown up in my left eye in an auto race when I had my shield up on a warm up lap and have worn sunglasses or my Rx glasses since when I have a helmet on.

I generally find that I like having my glasses on when I ride. I often flip up my shield at lights and leave it up for a bit, particularly on warm days. I would be reluctant to ride without glasses of some sort as they provide an extra layer of protection for the eye. I think once you have worn glasses for a week or so they seem natural. The ones I have are so lightweight I actually miss them when I don't have them on.I once had a small rock thrown up in my left eye in an auto race when I had my shield up on a warm up lap and have worn sunglasses or my Rx glasses since when I have a helmet on.
:dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

Can't tell if this is for or against LASIK???

Anyway I wear sunglasses under my helmet all the time because my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, always have been.

Anyway I don't use tinted shields because I ride enough at night that they become dangerous.

"" :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

Can't tell if this is for or against LASIK???

Anyway I wear sunglasses under my helmet all the time because my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, always have been.

Anyway I don't use tinted shields because I ride enough at night that they become dangerous.""

Actually neither pro nor con. Just a statement. Although if you want pro or con I don't think I'd have it done. Benefit/risk ratio too great for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually neither pro nor con. Just a statement. Although if you want pro or con I don't think I'd have it done. Benefit/risk ratio too great for me.
If the procedure is done by a competent doctor, he/she understands the risks and knows the warning signs. I understand nothing is guaranteed, but, the technology has come a long way and, per our resident expert, there isn't a lot that can't be corrected.

While some places do advertising, many go by word of mouth. Imagine what it would do to his business if he ignored the warnings and did the procedure for everyone regardless of their qualifications to become a candidate?

And for those who think of glasses as an extra layer of protection, I broke a set of glasses when I crashed a Honda 250R 3-wheeler (had the big bore kit - she was a beast!) and banged my helmet pretty good. Lucky I didn't get stabbed in the eye with one of the broken pieces. Good thing I was close to home - couldn't see shit with the broken glasses.

There is risk and reward. Speaking from my own personal experience, the reward far outweighs the risk.