Learn BaseCamp in one day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen the dots (and route) off the side of the road like that. Can you post a screen capture zoomed in on the shaping point?
I will have another look at it tonight. Maybe I made an error in the setup although I'm pretty sure I did Motorcycling and Fastest route - perhaps I accidently changed something when I did some playing around with settings. (I was pretty tired when I was working on this last night) Dragging a route (inserting a shaping point) shouldn't have to be precise when there are no other possible roads. I would expect it to "snap" to the closest road. I will check and post back. Perhaps Basecamp thinks I am walking...
Send me your route and I will look at it. Send to epconde (at) yahoo (dot) com. Are your Basecamp setting the same as I suggested in the agenda?

Thank you, Ed. Let me have a look at it after work this evening. If it doesn't make sense, I will send it off to you. (Otherwise, I'll report what bone-headed error I made in settings or routing.) I originally set it up EXACTLY as you did in the tutorial but I did some playing around with settings afterward. I THOUGHT I put it all back but won't know for sure until I can check.

All of the profile settings were correct (as per the tutorial). Motorcycling profile, maps latest version etc. Tried recalculating and then making a minor profile change and recalculating. Changed back and calculated again - no difference. Played with a bunch of settings and tried moving waypoints and shaping points - no change. Closed and reopened program and even rebooted the computer.

I finally tried "align North up" under the View menu. Not sure why that was not set perfectly to North - I may have been playing with it awhile ago. It wasn't far off. Everything snapped to exactly where it should have been. No explanation as to why this would be an issue but apparently it was. It changed a couple of my routes in small ways - I had to add some shaping points back in for a couple of spots.

I didn't THINK I had made a major error on the setup and I was (mostly) happy to see it was something subtle.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird. I tried to reproduce your problem by diddling (that's a technical term) with the map's compass rose, but my route was still snapping to the roadways. Clicking on "Align North Up" just rotated the rose back to square.

That's weird. I tried to reproduce your problem by diddling (that's a technical term) with the map's compass rose, but my route was still snapping to the roadways. Clicking on "Align North Up" just rotated the rose back to square.
Don't understand why it happened but nothing helped until I did that and then everything was fixed.

Edit: Maybe it was because the route was created with the north tilted a bit?? Don't know.

All of the profile settings were correct (as per the tutorial). Motorcycling profile, maps latest version etc. Tried recalculating and then making a minor profile change and recalculating. Changed back and calculated again - no difference. Played with a bunch of settings and tried moving waypoints and shaping points - no change. Closed and reopened program and even rebooted the computer.
I finally tried "align North up" under the View menu. Not sure why that was not set perfectly to North - I may have been playing with it awhile ago. It wasn't far off. Everything snapped to exactly where it should have been. No explanation as to why this would be an issue but apparently it was. It changed a couple of my routes in small ways - I had to add some shaping points back in for a couple of spots.

I didn't THINK I had made a major error on the setup and I was (mostly) happy to see it was something subtle.
You probably were rotating the compass wheel at one point and changed the orientation of the maps. I am not sure why that caused the problem, but I am glad that you figured it out.

About a month ago I was on the phone with Garmin for another issue and two techs suggested it might be related to a glitch in the latest mapset, something about North and the directional pointer. They were waiting for a fix, told me it could be a couple of weeks, and was hoping that would solve things. I don't believe that applied to my issue but maybe you came across this at the right time? Possible you applied an update during it all?

About a month ago I was on the phone with Garmin for another issue and two techs suggested it might be related to a glitch in the latest mapset, something about North and the directional pointer. They were waiting for a fix, told me it could be a couple of weeks, and was hoping that would solve things. I don't believe that applied to my issue but maybe you came across this at the right time? Possible you applied an update during it all?
No update during the process - either maps or Basecamp. Just a click on "Align North" and everything was magically fixed.

Does anyone know what happened to this link? This was such a great resource! i was struggling with my via points being called out even though i set them to not announce so I knew exactly where to get my answer!! But the link no worky! I know I'm just forgetting to do something simple. Anyway if anyone has any insight as to what happened with the link that would be great!

Wow! What a project Ed.
I have always wanted to learn BaseCamp but know I would have no chance of learning it on my own without any knowledgeable friends or resources. I also have my doubts about being able to follow along and teach myself using your impressive training program but I am going to give it a try. Thanks for all the hard work!
After 11 months of procrastination I finally hit this tutorial head on, bound and determined that I would learn Basecamp. Unfortunately I have hit so many stumbling blocks and have so many questions just getting stared that I think I am going to give up on page 6 as I just don't think I can figure things out myself.
upset.gif

Maybe I'm too tired to comprehend. I will give it another shot tomorrow.

Frustration understood..... on another forum, users have relayed that as Garmin updates Basecamp some of the functionality changes....... bound to make it more challenging for the inexperienced.

Mapsource V6.16.3 is still working OK for me, even though it has not been updated since 2010.

I tried to learn basecamp, even went through the tutorial. I still hate the way it works. For the number of times I need to create custom routes these days, mapsource is fine.

I also hate (no, hate is not too strong of a word) Garmin Express (Distress?). But this last map update I was forced to use it to get my PC maps updated, so that I could then use the MapInstall utility to send my maps to SD cards. Garmin Express does not allow you to send the maps updates directly to the SD card, nor can you just update the maps on your PC. You have to update the GPS device maps and tell it you want to save the maps on your PC for use with basecamp. Then I delete the map file off the GPS and load them all (they will all fit) onto a big SD card.

Previously I had been using the stand alone MapUpdate utility, which allows you to just update the PC, but as of the 2017.1 version maps that does not seem to work anymore.

Wow! What a project Ed.
I have always wanted to learn BaseCamp but know I would have no chance of learning it on my own without any knowledgeable friends or resources. I also have my doubts about being able to follow along and teach myself using your impressive training program but I am going to give it a try. Thanks for all the hard work!
After 11 months of procrastination I finally hit this tutorial head on, bound and determined that I would learn Basecamp. Unfortunately I have hit so many stumbling blocks and have so many questions just getting stared that I think I am going to give up on page 6 as I just don't think I can figure things out myself.
upset.gif

Maybe I'm too tired to comprehend. I will give it another shot tomorrow.
The one biggest thing I learned when learning BaseCamp is to not create a route. Really. I know it sounds goofy but pick your start and end points and let the program make the route. Poof, done! Now it's up to you to edit the route with the insert, move and erase tools to make it the way you want it.

Try it, I find it so much easier this way. I am by no means a BC expert but I have gotten good enough that my nuvi will receive and install my routes without any changes. And that really is the point of all of the effort, isn't it?

^^^^ What he said. I have the pleasure of riding with Ed on routes created with Basecamp about 6 times per year with the NER, and have twice attended the class that this document is based on.

We've heard of at least one instance in which Garmin tech support referred a caller to this document for help, as Garmin themselves has less of an idea of how to use Basecamp than Ed does.

When this first came out, I printed it out double sided and bound it with comb binding.
It stays next to my PC at all times... great reference.
I am glad to hear it. I have had feedback from many, many riders who are doing well with the Agenda.

^^^^ What he said. I have the pleasure of riding with Ed on routes created with Basecamp about 6 times per year with the NER, and have twice attended the class that this document is based on.
We've heard of at least one instance in which Garmin tech support referred a caller to this document for help, as Garmin themselves has less of an idea of how to use Basecamp than Ed does.
I have been PMd by lots of riders who were referred by Garmin. We have to ride soon!

Great resource and got me over the transition from Mapsource to BaseCamp. Thank you!

A query for folks using BaseCamp - the other day my pc updated to Windows 10. Now I seem to have lost all of my data sets. Has anyone else encountered this problem?