Learn BaseCamp in one day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big THANKS for your tutorial, Easy Ed.
yahoo.gif

I attempted to use Basecamp without reading any directions (isn't that just the typical male?) and floundered horribly. Now I'm whipping out routes like a crazed fool.
crazy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am working on my summer trip and remembering again how astoundingly stupid the routing function is in this program. I had to put in three waypoints a few miles from each other just to get it to route across the Rhinebeck bridge in NY. I put a waypoint in the middle of the bridge and one about 5 miles west. The router had me doing a u turn on the bridge, riding 40 miles south to the Bear Mountain bridge and then 40 miles back up to the other waypoint. I wish I could connect the GPS to the computer and have it run the route and then display it back on the PC. As is it is, I have to put waypoints all over the place to get Basecamp to route where I want to go, then upload them into my GPS and examine the route by painfully zooming in on its little screen to see if it has any wildly different ideas. This is obviously half baked software from Garmin that they don't really care much about.

I am working on my summer trip and remembering again how astoundingly stupid the routing function is in this program. I had to put in three waypoints a few miles from each other just to get it to route across the Rhinebeck bridge in NY. I put a waypoint in the middle of the bridge and one about 5 miles west. The router had me doing a u turn on the bridge, riding 40 miles south to the Bear Mountain bridge and then 40 miles back up to the other waypoint. I wish I could connect the GPS to the computer and have it run the route and then display it back on the PC. As is it is, I have to put waypoints all over the place to get Basecamp to route where I want to go, then upload them into my GPS and examine the route by painfully zooming in on its little screen to see if it has any wildly different ideas. This is obviously half baked software from Garmin that they don't really care much about.
I am guessing that you did not do the tutorial.

Check to be sure that you do not have any avoidances turned on, (like avoid tolls). That is often the cause of squirrely routing like you described.

But, every once in a while, in both Basecamp and Mapsource, I just can not get the thing to route a particular way, like you describe.

In some cases I have found that if I zoom all the way in there is a tiny gap in the road in the map-set that causes the kind of routing that you are talking about, though that usually isn't in the middle of a bridge.

I've gone through the thread and I don't know if I missed it but I am looking for the Mac version. Has it not been completed yet?

I decided that last night would be the night I would learn the fundamentals of Basecamp using Ed's tutorial. Got everything together with the tutorial and Basecamp open on the same (split) screen. I started following directions to the letter. I updated Garmin Express and Basecamp to the latest versions and made sure I had the latest maps on both the Zumo 665 and the computer. So far so good! I opened Basecamp and ALL OF THE MAPS WERE LOCKED! (This was not the case in the past; even with the current mapset.) I tried to unlock on-line and apparently all it would do is unlock the already unlocked maps on the Zumo. I tried to do a fresh download of the maps in case there was an issue with the installation but my computer "went to sleep" during the process and corrupted the map on the Zumo (set your computer to "never sleep" before beginning the download). I finally went to myGArmin and got the original unlock code for the map and was able to get them unlocked on the computer. I had to reload the maps on the Zumo since all I had left was the base map after the aborted previous download. By the time I had it all figured out after some Internet searches and writing to the Garmin help desk (got it going without their help), almost four hours had passed. So...

Tonight is the night that I am going to learn the fundamentals of Basecamp...

The mapping activity is for a big (one month) trip I am doing; starting in just eleven days from now. I was going to plan it in my 2010 version of Streets and Trips and load to the Zumo via Mapsource but decided to do it the right way. (Nothing like an impending deadline to motivate one to finally do something that should have done six months ago!) I have never set up a route anywhere nearly this large or this complex so I am looking for some advice.

Should I create one big route or break it down into regions that would encompass a few days in a particular area? This is my inclination; especially since plans WILL change as a function of timing, weather, advice from fellow travelers etc. I have a lot of distance to cover and might have to cut some stuff along the way if I can't keep to the schedule.

Is it easy to create one big route to get the overall picture and somehow copy segments of that route into several smaller ones? I don't want to create the "master" route and then have to recreate all of the detail into each of several smaller maps.

Perhaps the method for doing this will become clearer as I work through the tutorial.

I wish I had a suitable laptop along for the ride! Any routing changes that I decide to make along the way will have to be on the Zumo. Not the easiest way to (re)do a complex route segment.

My route will just show the roads. I am not going to even attempt to include stuff like gas stops, photo-ops, food or lodging (camping) locations - don't know where they will be, anyway. I might have to wait and look at my Spotwalla track when I get home to see where I have been!

Should I create one big route or break it down into regions that would encompass a few days in a particular area? This is my inclination; especially since plans WILL change as a function of timing, weather, advice from fellow travelers etc. I have a lot of distance to cover and might have to cut some stuff along the way if I can't keep to the schedule.
Once you finish the tutorial the answer to this question will be obvious. I'm sure Ed will be along, but for your trip, you need to create a new list folder under My Collection for the trip, then put routes into new lists in that folder. Each list can be a trip segment that is manageable, and may consist of one or more routes and associated waypoints, shaping points or vias. Creating a single route for a month-long trip with complex turns and roads would become unmanageable on both the computer and your GPS. By breaking the trip into segments, you can much more easily start each segment and navigate with a lot less confusion. It's your choice whether you break segments by start/end point, days or other organization. Routes can be edited on the GPS as you go, and waypoints can be skipped as necessary, however a detailed plan will pretty quickly tell you how realistic your travel plans are, and whether you are trying to fit in too much.

TopSpeed did a trip plan for a group he is taking this summer, and has each day planned, practically to the minute, including reservations for each night. I tend to travel with a more open-ended agenda, with highlights along the way, but I don't know where each day will begin and end. Your trip, your plan. Good luck!

Check to be sure that you do not have any avoidances turned on, (like avoid tolls). That is often the cause of squirrely routing like you described.
But, every once in a while, in both Basecamp and Mapsource, I just can not get the thing to route a particular way, like you describe.

In some cases I have found that if I zoom all the way in there is a tiny gap in the road in the map-set that causes the kind of routing that you are talking about, though that usually isn't in the middle of a bridge.
It wasn't so bad with MapSource but BaseCamp, IMO being designed for off-road stuff too, is happy to send you to the spot you pick. I think this may be why Easy Ed included in his tutorial the things about center of map, check each via point, etc. Much aggravation is avoided if that step is not.

Thanks Tom. I sort of figured that the process would become clearer as I did the tutorial. I would, however, like to have a master route (on the computer, not the GPS) so I have the "Big Picture" of the trip. It will help me determine some routing logistics and help determine what, if any, sections that may have to be trimmed. Pretty sure the whole route would crash the Zumo in short order!

I decided that last night would be the night I would learn the fundamentals of Basecamp using Ed's tutorial. Got everything together with the tutorial and Basecamp open on the same (split) screen. I started following directions to the letter. I updated Garmin Express and Basecamp to the latest versions and made sure I had the latest maps on both the Zumo 665 and the computer. So far so good! I opened Basecamp and ALL OF THE MAPS WERE LOCKED! (This was not the case in the past; even with the current mapset.) I tried to unlock on-line and apparently all it would do is unlock the already unlocked maps on the Zumo. I tried to do a fresh download of the maps in case there was an issue with the installation but my computer "went to sleep" during the process and corrupted the map on the Zumo (set your computer to "never sleep" before beginning the download). I finally went to myGArmin and got the original unlock code for the map and was able to get them unlocked on the computer. I had to reload the maps on the Zumo since all I had left was the base map after the aborted previous download. By the time I had it all figured out after some Internet searches and writing to the Garmin help desk (got it going without their help), almost four hours had passed. So...
Tonight is the night that I am going to learn the fundamentals of Basecamp...

The mapping activity is for a big (one month) trip I am doing; starting in just eleven days from now. I was going to plan it in my 2010 version of Streets and Trips and load to the Zumo via Mapsource but decided to do it the right way. (Nothing like an impending deadline to motivate one to finally do something that should have done six months ago!) I have never set up a route anywhere nearly this large or this complex so I am looking for some advice.

Is it easy to create one big route to get the overall picture and somehow copy segments of that route into several smaller ones? I don't want to create the "master" route and then have to recreate all of the detail into each of several smaller maps.

Perhaps the method for doing this will become clearer as I work through the tutorial.

I wish I had a suitable laptop along for the ride! Any routing changes that I decide to make along the way will have to be on the Zumo. Not the easiest way to (re)do a complex route segment.

My route will just show the roads. I am not going to even attempt to include stuff like gas stops, photo-ops, food or lodging (camping) locations - don't know where they will be, anyway. I might have to wait and look at my Spotwalla track when I get home to see where I have been!
Break it up!

Thanks Tom. I sort of figured that the process would become clearer as I did the tutorial. I would, however, like to have a master route (on the computer, not the GPS) so I have the "Big Picture" of the trip. It will help me determine some routing logistics and help determine what, if any, sections that may have to be trimmed. Pretty sure the whole route would crash the Zumo in short order!
For me, I choose both. What I did:

- made my individual day routes the way I wanted them, loading each individually onto my gps and previewing to be sure it's what I want the gps to show me. After a few times of editing I picked up on what is needed to get it right the first time.

- make sure each individual day route has a unique name, even just "day 1", "day 2", etc. Make a new list folder and "duplicate" them all and move them to the new list folder. Now the names should be "day 11", "day 21".

- on the left, highlight all the duplicated routes (tutorial- click top one, shft+click bottom one). Right click. Pick "Join the Selected Routes". Poof! An overall route made from your individual ones. Give it a unique name. Delete the day routes if you want. I always do.

You now have your individual day routes in one list folder and your overall route in another. I then clean up the overall route (work with it, you'll see). I transfer it to my device and import it. My device is limited as to how many routes I can have "on it" but not "in it". This means if I do not import them on to the device they don't count. I import the overall for use all the time and each individual route when needed then delete it after.

rbentnail - So you created all of the individual routes and then joined them to create a "master"?

I sort of wanted to look at the whole thing so I might be able to optimize routing (order etc.) and then break it up into the "day" or more likely "region" sub routes. The "Big Picture" is likely to be helpful for general planning as opposed to small(er) sections; at least until I know the optimum order for the planned stops. Once I see the total distance and/or riding time for the Master, I can quickly decide where I may need to edit to make this somewhat ambitious trip possible. Break it up into manageable sections once the trip is planned.

I expect things will become clearer after I delve into it (and make a bunch of mistakes along the way)!

I've gone through the thread and I don't know if I missed it but I am looking for the Mac version. Has it not been completed yet?
I have the IOS version on my iPad4. I have it tethered to my .GPX viewer app in which I previewed some routes at wny's tech day on it. (we went over my Black Hills loop w u I believe).

Not a fan of the IOS version per-say, at least as a stand-alone. it leaves out a lot of BC sub-modules and actions thereof.

This is my inclination; especially since plans WILL change as a function of timing, weather, advice from fellow travelers etc. I have a lot of distance to cover and might have to cut some stuff along the way if I can't keep to the schedule.
I have a lot to learn with this so I'm hesitant to offer advice but, with regards to above, I've run across the same scenario. Plan a trip out then deviate for whatever reason. Never recalculate and find myself back to the route by however. But, if you should turn off the GPS or stop the active route and then wish to go back to it, it will ask you where in the route do you want to start from or what is your next waypoint. I have found that if I do not simply/clearly label my waypoints in BC, sometimes I won't remember what it points to on the route. For instance, a waypoint inserted and automatically labeled 4N Ramp might be better labeled Anytown Rte.4 or something to that effect.

The tutorial was great Ed. I've gone back to it once or twice also.

This is my inclination; especially since plans WILL change as a function of timing, weather, advice from fellow travelers etc. I have a lot of distance to cover and might have to cut some stuff along the way if I can't keep to the schedule.
I have a lot to learn with this so I'm hesitant to offer advice but, with regards to above, I've run across the same scenario. Plan a trip out then deviate for whatever reason. Never recalculate and find myself back to the route by however. But, if you should turn off the GPS or stop the active route and then wish to go back to it, it will ask you where in the route do you want to start from or what is your next waypoint. I have found that if I do not simply/clearly label my waypoints in BC, sometimes I won't remember what it points to on the route. For instance, a waypoint inserted and automatically labeled 4N Ramp might be better labeled Anytown Rte.4 or something to that effect.

The tutorial was great Ed. I've gone back to it once or twice also.
One reason why I stopped dropping WP's on my desired roads. I now make all my routes by via-points (shaping points). You get off route with a shaping made route, you simply follow a road back to the route line (guidance), bingo, easy-peasy. You do have to have the "Auto Recalculate" option off for this to work however.

What is the advantage of Basecamp vs. Mapsource?

I have been using Mapsource for 8 years now. It works for my needs and I have routed thousands of miles using Mapsource. My trips have general objectives such as go to the Sierras in California. I have a few maps and books with me and create the daily routes on the fly the night before on a small laptop.

Mapsource has never failed me. It is a bit odd to use, not a easy as Google Maps, but I am used to it now and alway get to my destination.

I have tried Basecamp. It has a steep learning curve and I didn't see the value in learning it. I believe Basecamp takes more computing resources the Mapsource - not sure about this.

Mapsource discontinued. If you're using it, you are using an older GPS.

Basecamp supported. Has lots of features Mapsource only dreamed of. Make the switch and you'll be surprised how easy it is.