Leaving the Dealer with my new FJR, I was struck by an………..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on a great deal and a great bike. And welcome, from Kennesaw, GA. True, ATL is full of idiots, and the sheer volume is enough to intimidate a two-wheeler, but ahh those mountains are so close....40 minutes from my house and I'm turing onto Highway 53 near Tate and it's all good from there.
Enjoy, and watch the forum for some group rides...there are a bunch of us in the metro Atlanta area.

I must not be reading the forum at the right time. I would like to join in on some of the group rides. I live right off of 575 in Canton. I'd to stay in the loop on future rides.
Congrats on your purchase. I have a place in Cumming that is about 45 minutes from the beginning of the run up Blood Mountain on Hwy 19. Unfortunately, I'm also in Miami about half of the time. All I can say is that anyone who thinks the drivers in Atlanta are bad should try riding in Miami. Anyway, ride safely and enjoy the snow.

Congrats. I've got around 63k miles on my '06A. A few items that the factory replaced, which you might check out.

1) The average mpg reading was stuck on 17. They replaced the entire instrument cluster.

2) The ECU was replaced with a version that re-adjusted at smaller throttle movements, thereby eliminating the cutting out experienced when changing altitude while maintaining steady speeds. [recall item.]

3) The ignition switch was replaced (prior to the recall) at factory expense. [recall item.]

4) The gas cap was replaced under the YES, due to a vent tube apparently being clogged which resulted in a vacuum.

Small mod's including sliders, bar ends, throttle lock, Skyway water jug mounts (replaced the passenger pegs).

Still running the stock seat, stock windshield, and stock shocks, items which many feel can be replaced with better options.

Used Yamalube oil until about 10k miles ago.

Tires used include: Metzlers, Avon Storms, Avon Azaros, Michelin Pilot Roads and several sets of Pirelli Diable Stradas. All ran for about 8k miles.

Best advise, ride it like you stole it.

Paste007

Congrats on your new scoot!!!

I have two rules for riding in Atlanta.

1) I'm invisible, no one can see me.

2) If they're going run over me, they're going to have to catch me!!!

Also a required farkle is some real horns. Got to keep those somnambulant cagers off us. <_<

I live on the north side of Cumming but work in Marietta and it's not unusual for me to go home via Neel Gap.

PM me or look me up in the FJR Assistance List and give me a call.

Thanks for all your warm words of welcome and encouragement. The bike got delivered on Monday (we had 4 inches of snow in Atlanta on Sunday!!).

I would post a picture, but ya’ll know what an “06 looks like. It is in excellent shape and the dealer did all the recalls and even changed the oil.

I took it out for a little spin and since it was my first time riding an FJR, it was quite enlightening. Coming from a Burgman, there is obviously a huge difference. The weight and COG will certainly take some time to get used to. I didn’t feel the throttle problems that many complain of, although my take-offs were very cautious. I have an SMG system on my M3, so the AE system was pretty easy to master (only hit the horn twice). But, that seat sure is wide. My upper thighs and groin were killing me. Well, back to the gym or at least lots of Advil.

I have ordered sliders and a new Cee Bailey windscreen and since it will be 74 degrees here this weekend I intend to spend a lot of practice time in the saddle.

Thanks again…

WOW...an '06 with 2600 miles on it for $7500. More proof that good deals are out there waiting to be found. Nice buy...Have fun.

Sebring congrats on the new ride and you will not be sorry. Just remember you have "just a little more performance" on it over what your last ride had. Enjoy it and the forum and stay safe out there.

Great little writeup for us to ponder... while waiting for the snow to melt :dribble:

A well written introduction for your AE, and some great responses for another AE noob to review!

Best wishes to sebring and those who replied.

..............\|||/.......................

.............(@@)........................

_____ooO_( )_Ooo___________________________

_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|

___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|

_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|____|_____|____|

Ok, I'm late to this party that started in Feb...

Having seen many YouTube videos of fellows riding off the dealer lot on a new bike and

then crashing infront of everyone, I was a little aprehensive when I picked up my 09 a

few days ago.

Then seeing the title of this thread made me cringe and not want to read it. "Whew,"

was my response when I finally saw the story.... heh.

Damn YouTube.

A few days ago "there I was," sitting on my new bike with 000001 miles on the odometer,

new smell every where, engine purring nicely, slipping on my helmet, then gloves. To my

left were three very nice looking women of the 18-21 persuasion, along with the saleman,

the general manager and some dude from the service department all to see me off.

I have almost no experience on a street bike and was a tad nervous, hoping I'd not have a

YouTube moment here in the parking lot.

All went well and once out of the lot I relaxed and enjoyed the ride home.

I do love this bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have almost no experience on a street bike and was a tad nervous, hoping I'd not have aYouTube moment here in the parking lot.
You done well (by buying a FJR and not crashing in the dealer lot). :yahoo:

I can't say the same about myself. With almost 30 years street bike experience, I stalled the bike 3 feet from the dealership front door! :angry2: Seems that the FJR clutch engages WAAAY too close to the handlebar for my tastes! <_< First thing I did when I got home was the required adjustment of the clutch lever. It's still too close to the bar for me, but I've gotten used to it over the past 22 months and 27,000 miles.

Congrats on a great deal and a great bike. And welcome, from Kennesaw, GA. True, ATL is full of idiots, and the sheer volume is enough to intimidate a two-wheeler, but ahh those mountains are so close....40 minutes from my house and I'm turing onto Highway 53 near Tate and it's all good from there.
Enjoy, and watch the forum for some group rides...there are a bunch of us in the metro Atlanta area.
I agree, if there is anything that would make it worth living in Atlanta for a cyclist, it's N. GA mountains only 1.5 hours away...easily doable for even a few hour blast out 180 from Suches and then home in time to cookout and have a beer....oh brother cry me a river. I takes me 8 hours one way to get there which means I basically have to take a day off work and make a long weekend out of it just to make it worth the trip.

Watch out for that gravel driveway at TWO even just rear braking it you get some braking on the front with this linked set up.

Steve