• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Let the Hunt Begin - Looking for a Steal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Old Blue, left all alone
upset.gif
:

Happy Big Red, the center of attention:

As soon as Mr. Hppants gets his story together I have pics and I have a story.

Last edited by a moderator:
As we used to say in the Navy after a war game; He who briefs first usually wins!!

Need your version first, don't be waiting on hppants, he'll skew the story line for sure!

Unfortunately my fast riding friend Mr. Hppants did not get the ES with the inverted forks. It may be a good thing. For the first time since I have known him my bike will have a "Technical Advantage" over his. He will still outrun me, he is a much better rider but at least I will look good.

I will repost my earlier pic, this time with names.

Left to right, Pop (My Dear Old Dad), Hppants, G Squared (My favorite motorcycle salesman)

Hey, pants, you gonna bring that thing up to Hooterville in Oct?

Nah, Prob a garage/trailer queen. Jk

Good for you Pants. Peer pressure and lust is alive and well. I am so jealous. Can't wait for the first ride report to be written. I am sure it will be a great RED!!

Well the hunt is over and to the victor goes the spoils. Who would have thought that having a Yamaha sales man as a forum member has its advantages? But our friend G-squared (Gary) reads our stuff and he was kind enough to notice this thread. When Gary learned that I was in the market for a 2014, he immediately went to work. While I was shopping every 2014 lead I could find from coast to coast, Gary was doing his magic close to home for me.

On Thursday, we communicated by email and I learned that he found a 2014A model at a neighboring dealer and if I was interested, he thought he would be able to get it for me. I wanted to trade my bike in, but without looking at it, Gary was not prepared to make an offer. He gave me a ballpark that sounded reasonable and I agreed to ride it the 70 miles over on today to see what we could see.

The plan was to agree on the sale, trade my ’05 in, and allow Gary to order my new bike. Prepared to wait weeks (or even longer) for my new bike to arrive, I asked my friend Redfish Hunter to meet me at the dealership and give me a ride home, to which he readily agreed. MikeP1300 came over Friday afternoon and we de-farkled Ole Blue. I slept peacefully, but excitedly as I was eager to see what the next day would bring.

In typical fashion, the dog woke me up right on time about 6 am Saturday morning, eager for her breakfast. I checked the radar and noted scattered showers on the slab between me and Baton Rouge. I put on the overpants and packed a microcloth towel and an extra t-shirt. About 7:00 am, I pulled out the driveway and hit the slab heading East. Under the helmet, I spent the hour reminiscing about how much fun I’ve had on my trusty Gen I FJR. In about 4 years, we’ve ridden 58,000 miles together. We’ve taken 23 trips over 1,000 miles and many more day trips throughout the Gulf Coast. We’ve ridden in snow, deluging rain, ungodly heat, and incredible winds. We’ve ridden in 20 degrees and 100 degrees, and seen plenty of sunrises and sunsets. We’ve camped, cooked, gotten lost, gotten found, overlooked, discovered, and adventured. We’ve met dozens (perhaps hundreds) of other riders and shared many miles and smiles together. I fell off her once, just after I bought her. I thought about giving up riding all together, but she’s a hard thing to let go and thankfully I persisted.

And through it all, not once did my big girl ever let me down. Not once did she fail to start. Not so much as a flat tire. What a faithful horse – just push the button, pull the clutch, and on command she takes me to the ride report. Every time, without fail. I’ve had many motorcycles and other toys in my life, but to be quite honest, Ole Blue was something special.

I get to the dealership a little early. Surprisingly it didn’t rain on me, but the road was wet and you only get one chance to make a first impression. I stopped at a gas station and used a faucet to grab some water and wipe my bike down. I pull into the dealership right around opening time and surprisingly, Redfish and his dad (Mr. Redfish) pull up at the same time. Seems odd that they show up so early, but I was glad to see them. Gary greets me warmly, and he grabs my keys and brings my bike to the shop for the evaluation. Redfish senior, junior, and I start chewing the fat with anyone that will listen. I’m not paying real close attention because in the back of my mind, I’m hoping things are going well in the shop. It seems like it is taking a long time, but I am not overly concerned.

Gary excuses himself and walks away from us while we continue our beak flapping. About 5 minutes later, I hear a motorcycle engine from the front door of the showroom. This motor sound is undeniable – I know this sound very well. I turn around and Gary is riding this beautiful red machine straight into the showroom toward me.

IMG_0928_zpsn8n5q2nn.jpg

Completely surprised, I asked Gary what was going on, and he replied “Just thought I’d show you your new motorcycle!” Speechless, I turned around and Redfish Junior exclaims very confidently “Guess what – we’re not going to be bringing you home after all.”

Those two jokers were planning this all along. Gary made arrangements to get my bike ahead of time, unpacked it and had it all ready for me. I spend my whole life planning things and being situationally aware of my surrounding – it’s really hard to surprise me. But they did it – and oh my - was it cool.

IMG_0930_zpsopiirph3.jpg

At this point, I prolly would have given my left nad to take that puppy home. But being the professional that he is – Gary stayed true to his word. He offered me the fair trade for Ole Blue and an hour or so later, the rest is history.

With a dark cloud looming overhead, I didn’t have time for long goodbyes. I thanked everyone at Friendly Yamaha, along the Redfishes, and I went on my way.

I hit a moderate shower almost immediately, but within 5 minutes it was over and I enjoyed the hour ride back to my house. I resisted the temptation to play with the controls. Rather, I was concentrating on trying to be safe with a new ride. As you can see, I was not overly leaning or pushing in any way – there will be plenty of time for that later.

IMG_0934_zpsgrb5tnw2.jpg

Back at the house, I wiped off the new road dirt (and a good bit of droll) and sat down with a couple of beers to reflect on the great day.

IMG_0933_zpsqdbdzche.jpg

Let the new chapter in the adventure begin! Yee Haa!!!

Huge congrats 'pants! Looking forward to new ride reports with the red beauty.

Now the fun begins, let the farkling begin!

--G

Now for my side of the story.

I had been communicating with both hppants and G Squared about The Search and knew that G Squared was working very hard to get Mr. Pants a '14 FJR. After working straight 12 hour nights for 6 months I finally got a weekend off. I was snoozing on the couch yesterday morning when a text from hppants woke me. He was trading in his '05 at Friendly Yamaha and would need a ride home, would I mind.

Now it is about an hour's drive from Friendly Yamaha to Lafayette but that is nothing but a step for a friend like Mr. Pants so of course I agreed. But I was confused. Why trade the bike in with no new bike to ride home? Plus, G Squared had sounded confident he would have a '14 to sell. What was going on? So, I am texting 'Pants and texting G2 separately trying to figure out the situation, all this on no sleep.

Never Trust A Salesman! G Squared had a bike lined up, he and his dealership had jumped through hoops to locate and acquire a new in the crate '14 FJR A model. The bike was on its way, they were going to try to get it assembled and delivered while "Pants was waiting on the sales floor. G Squared wanted to surprise his customer. I was kind of caught in the middle. I take my honesty and integrity pretty seriously, I was going to have to "lie" to my good friend hppants.

I talked to Dear Old Dad, he liked the idea and agreed to accompany me to Friendly Yamaha this morning. He did not like the idea of being dishonest with our friend but was willing to go along with it.

We arrived before the dealership opened and off to the side G Squared told me the bike had been assembled the night before and would be there in about 30 minutes. So, we stalled.

The look on my friend's face when the unmistakable rumble of the Big Red FJR rolling into the salesfloor cut off our conversation was priceless. The WTF? look was perfect. I pointed to the shiny red bike and said, "There is your motorcycle". He was completely surprised and completely happy. Caught unawares, he did not have everything in order to make his purchase but our salesman and the staff at Friendly Yamaha took care of everything and made it as easy as possible.

My sincerest compliments to G Squared for the perfect surprise and the perfect sale. For my friend hppants, I am sincerely sorry I was not completely honest with you. I hope you understand.

A sad, lonely, faithful motorcycle:

G Squared taking Old Blue in for an appraisal:

The price of riding your motorcycle to work:

Mr. 'Pants with a smile of shock and happiness:

The co-conspirators and the victim:

Pop saying, "That bike is almost as fast as Redfish's 2015!" Okay, not really.

G Squared saying, "This is a great bike to have if you are not as cool as Redfish. Just carry a tool kit..."

You may also note the dark clouds and impending rain in the last two pics. Not a pretty ride home for a brand new bike.

In the end both of my friends got what they wanted. Hppants got his shiny red 2014 FJR. G Squared got to make a sale that was just a little more important than normal and he got to surprise his customer.

The next chapter will hopefully involve a multi-year FJR Ride Report. If I can just get Friendly Yamaha to sponsor a trip...

Congrats to a man deserving of an astounding upgrade... Your journeys and ride reports are always an excellent joy to read....

I'm sure you will enjoy Your New steed for many years and miles to come... Can't wor for the first real RR...

Congratulations on finally getting that redhead you've been wanting. Now I'm sure you too will be washing her after each ride at the events to keep it nice and shiny!

Well thanks to all for the warm wishes. I don't know if I'll make the Hooterville event, or when my next "event" will be, but most assuredly when it happens, it will be, well... eventful.

RFH - no apologies are necessary. In our current world, with oodles of information constantly at our fingertips, there are so very few real surprises - at least the pleasant ones. I told my wife last night that it was such a surreal experience - one that I hadn't felt in quite a while. I likened it to a young teenager at Christmas. They are sure that "Santa Claus" has no idea what they really want, but when they open the box, that little kid they are tryng so hard to surpress comes rushing out uncontrolably. You did good, my friend.

G-squared - you did damm fine as well. When the shock of "holy crap this is my new motorcycle" wore off, the realization of "I didn't bring enough money with me" kind of killed my buzz a little. Still, I was estactic to see the red head and I realized that on Monday when the banks opened, I could take care of everything. Still, you were persistent. You REALLY wanted me to ride my new toy home. Together we found a way and I sincerely appreciate your effort. Folks - all I can say is consider Friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It's not just a word on a sign.

So 70 miles on the slab is hardly worthy of a sport touring motorcycle evaluation, let alone a ride report. None the less, here are my top 10 impressions:

1. Even with the stock windscreen, the wind protection is infinitely better than the gen 1. There is no back pressure issue any more. In "dirty air" on the interstate, the bike is far more stable than the gen I.

2. The heat management improvements are incredible. As previously stated, I wore the overpants expecting rain. They do NOT breathe one bit. I got caught in a 5 mile bumper to bumper traffic jam on the interstate and the ambient temp is showing lower 90s. I would have been miserable on Ole Blue and likely would have illegally lane split just to get some relief. No problem yesterday - I hardly felt anything. Very nice improvement.

3. There is noticably less buzz in my hands and feet, but admittedly that may be skewed a little because I think my gen 1 was due for a TBS. G-squared gave me a set of bar end weights and I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

4. The F/I mapping is wonderful. The bike responds very well to all sorts of part throttle in varied conditions. I'm being respectful of Yamaha's break-in guidance, so I haven't twisted the wrist yet. But the motor feels more powerful - or at least more torquey. There is less shaft jacking under conditions where that is most noticable. And maybe it's the newness or the break in oil or the oldness of my Gen I - but the tranny on this bike is like butter. The N-1 shift is completely "clunk-less", the 1-2 shift is almost undetectable. I want that to stay forever - I'll be doing some research on this issue soon.

5. The cruise control is ROCK solid. It works amazingly well. I will definitely get used to that.

6. BION - the gen III stock seat is not too bad. I'm still getting a Laam for myself, but my wife thinks she may like the stock pillion. It lends itself to her isues - narrow and with a nice swoop upward in front of her.

7. I don't care too much for the Bridgestone BT tires. Maybe it's the different chassis, I'm being paranoid, or I'm so used to the PR2. But my confidence is not there yet. Extra caution will be employed for at least another 1000 miles.

8. The suspension is fantastic - the rear shock dampening is absolutely spot ON! I can't imagine anyone replacing that shock expecting anything better. I've got the pre-load for the forks at the mid point and truthfully, it's really good too.

9. Otherwise ergonomically speaking - this bike fits me much better. With the seat on the low position, and the rear shock pre-load on "soft", the bike sits up a little higher. For someone with long legs, this is noticeable. The foot pegs seem to be more neutrally located for my stature and preferred riding position. BION - I'm re-considering bar risers of any kind. My hands were a smidge forward on the stockers in the low position, but it was pretty comfortable. I'm going to move them up and re-try.

10 Overall - the bike is refined from front to back. A novice rider, or even an inexperienced S/T rider wouldn't notice it as much. But I can see it clearly. I would not be surprised if Yamaha reads our forum. Some of the things I found seem to be addressing things we have discussed in the past.

So now I'm ready to start reading and learning. I've got some farkling to do. I've got some things I need to purchase. I've got to get further into the bike to see what is what.

But most importantly, I've got some riding to do. And some pictures to take.

Stay thirsty, my friends.....