Lets have fun - YOU tell me how to spend my money

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
OK, so with the purchase of the 09 FJR pending, I figured the only correct place to start is with.....

..... MODS!

Now, I have to finalize the deal, but I just got a decent insurance quote today, and the bank is processing "ze loan app". I don't anticipate any real issue son that end, so we move forward with the dreaming/planning/scheming phase of this endevour...

In the spirit of placing the cart firmly before the horse, I thought it best to enlist the august members of this fine chat-shack to help me spend my money on mods. Why wait to farkle, I say!

Already on my radar, in no order, are:

• sliders - not the ground beef kind
  • rad guard
  • windscreen
  • throttle lock
  • heated grips
  • retro-reflective tape - ah, EVERYWHERE...
  • gps

I'm sure eventually I'll get to power mods, but for now I'm after safety and functionality, as this will be a daily driver for me. Since I live near Seattle, rain might sometimes visit my commutes, so power matters less to me that safety up front.

There we go - spend away.

...and thanks for ideas and feedback. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
F-Z-R? Are ya tryin ta be funny, boy? :p

This here's the J forum, the Z forum is down there by the cotton candy and where the "drift racers" hang out.. ;)

Damn, them fuzzy dice woulda looked good against the gold frame too...

Radar detector - for me that is more important than anything else on your list except the sliders.

Other things to consider:

Tail trunk if you plan to ride long distances or carry a pillion for weekends or longer.

At some point you'll be looking to improve your suspension.

Grip puppies are good but I don't know how they would go with the heated grips.

Also, (without heated grips) I just put on the vstrom knuckle guards. They are great! In the rain coming back from CFR never got cold or wet hands. Click

Also disable the automatic windshield retract Click

but for now I'm after safety and functionality
Here ya go. :whistle:
Wow, that's EXACTLY where I want my wife to be. . . Belted into a tumbling bike seat with her arms and legs flailing about so the "safety cage" can land on them with the bike's weight behind it and amputate something. Awesome concept. :huh: Maybe all that steel tubing won't make that pig (sorry, Hog) topheavy, but it'll sure mess up a feej's balance!

And not to be rude, but I didn't see any "babes" in that picture. Not even an ex-babe, as best I could tell. (OK, that was intended to be rude, but let's pretend.)

Back on topic, the OP needs a real cruise control, not a throttle lock. Incredibly vastly muchly superior, so much so that it's not even worth discussing.

Cruise control: add it to the list.

Throttle lock: Remove it from the list and never raise the subject again.

I'm gonna back Wfooshee and say cruise control. I also think you should invest in some driving lights and rear lights to help with the visibility.

Cruise control: add it to the list.Throttle lock: Remove it from the list and never raise the subject again.
When I get around to finally installing my cruise control, I'll keep the throttle lock, as sometimes it comes in handy for a quick "need to use the right hand for something else" like texting, shooting or just saying :****: to somebody while the left thumb holds down the horn button....

What else are you going to do on the bike? LD with night work? You might want some aux lights, maybe some bar risers, and a nice comfy saddle.

I'd recommend a nice sound system. You'll want to hear that radar detector, yeah? How 'bout some music while commuting? Consult Autocom Keith at Tulsa Truck Center before you buy anything 918.446.2245

I like all your choices, though I've been getting on fine without grip heaters.

My experience says save some dough for a new saddle. After 500 miles, the stocker had me screaming. With a new seat, I only get off to pee, fuel up, and maybe sleep. Russell, Bill Mayer, and Rick Mayer seem to the gold standards. I have the latter.

Wild Bill's highway peg brackets make long hauls more comfy too.

A top box was a must for me to turn it into a good commuter. My computer wouldn't fit in the side bags. It and the case fit into a Givi 52 like a glove.

+1 on the VStrom handguard suggestion.

For most comfort mods, though, get some saddle time to set your own priorities.

And, of course, get a cool t-shirt from the links in my sig. ;)

You're gonna love this bike.

OK, so with the purchase of the 09 FJR pending, I figured the only correct place to start is with.....
..... MODS!

• sliders - not the ground beef kind
  • rad guard
  • windscreen
  • throttle lock
  • heated grips
  • retro-reflective tape - ah, EVERYWHERE...
  • gps
Sliders are on top of the list for a good reason. Get them ASAP! It can save you lots of dough replacing scratched plastic.

The stock windshield sucks unless you keep it all the way down. I have a Vstream for most of the year and a Cee Bailey +2 high with flip shield for summer use. PM me if you want to try one out (I'm in Bonney Lake).

Heated grips are a must for me for winter riding around here, but you won't need them for a few months. I also added handguards off a Suzuki Vstrom and these make a big difference in winter warmth by blocking wind (and they come off in seconds for summer riding). You can buy the factory heated grips (call Gary at Mondak motorsports for best prices) or for less dough you can install Honda ST1300 grips (p/n 08T50-MCS-100). Pics of an install: CLICKY HERE

Throttle locks work, but an electronic cruise control is the $hit ! I have a Audiovox CCS100 installed on my FJR and it looks like a factory install and works as good as the one in your car. Now if only there was less traffic around here so I could use it more.

First off congrats on the Feej, I just got mine a week and a half ago and I still have a $hi% eating grin every time I ride it.

As for mods, boy you like to ask loaded questions dontcha? :) I am going to mimic the advise given to me by some of the sage experts on this board.

Ride the bike stock for a while and let her tell you what she needs before you go farkeling, yes a Russel Seat is a nice mod, but if you don't need it why spend 500 bucks (Some people are ok with the stock seat,,,,I am not one of them :) ) As for windshields that also is personal preference, so far the stocker is ok with me but I want to put more miles on before I make that decision

But if you want a starting point here is what "I" have on order so far.

1) Tail Brights on the bags etc (Highly reflective) this was for safety

2) Givi Mount for my E46 topcase

3) Heli triple clamp to bring bars up and forward

4) OES Frame Sliders

5) Ram Mount replacement clutch res cover with ball for my Garmin Nuvi

5) Russel Day Long Saddle being done at the end of July (Have a 7/30 prod date)

6) HyperLites for the rear to make the brake lights more visible

Stuff I already have

1) Amplirider amplifier to interface with my Ipod

2) ATGATT!

Soon to be on order

1) Tank protector

2) Brake Light Modulator

3) Radar Detector

4) Twisted Throttle rear seat bag

Waiting till I have the dough...

1) MCcruise cruise control

2) Garmin Zumo with XM and Input for the Ipod