Let's Talk About Summer Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After doing an ashalt slide @ 60 MPH & seeing what it did to my solid leather Held gloves, I decided that nothing but perforated leather gloves would do for me in the summer months. I picked up a pair of Icon somethingorother... I don't remember the name but they are shorties w/ no gauntlet & perforated leather. They flow air well. I was surprised for a prediminantly leather glove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought these in all black.

356775_large.jpg

I have the same glove in leather for winter riding.

I've been known to walk across the floor to the dirt bike section and look grab something over there. Lots of lightweight motocross gloves that fit the bill.

Just a follow-up post...

I'm still good with these, but I don't think they are going to last more than 30,000 miles.

i13059.jpg

Thanks to all for the replies.I need to start going to local shops and trying on what I can find, and maybe go from there. At least with some of your recommendations, I know which ones to try looking for.

Ya know, its amazing the collection of gloves one gets over the years.

Fingerless with gel pad (don't wear these anymore, why bother?)

Insulated leather full gauntlet (to short for my fingers, but were an emergency purchase on a ride - it started to snow!)

Joe Rocket something or others, my current choice for a cool weather glove. Paid $15 for them at a sale.

Brand? No clue. Kevlar mesh, leather palm. My current glove of choice, once again, $15 at a tent sale. I wear these pretty much all the time.

I recently bought a pair of Cycleport/Motoport's synthetic "racing" gloves and, with roughly 6,000 miles of use, have been quite happy with them. As a baseline, note that I have worn out one pair of Held Profi's, come close to wearing out a pair of Lee Parks elkskin gloves, and love my Held Phantoms.

While not a summer glove, per se, they are not overly warm (if you hold your palm up to the oncomming wind, you can feel the gloves vent), dry reasonably quickly after getting wet in summer storms, and seem as if they will provide very good protection if it ever comes to that. They could use a squeegee on the left index finger, though (Speaking of which, anyone know where I can buy one of those slide-on squeegees?).

https://www.motoport.com/Product.asp?Clv=105170k

+1 on Joe Rocket Phantom 3.0.... good vents, ok protection.

1048_11099.jpg

But my daily commuter when its warm on my spritely Honda Spacy 100 is the Dainese Air Kaiser. Not a lot of protection. bottom is all right, leather i think. Top is pretty much just mesh.

1815407.jpg

I have been buying more things at Cyclegear lately. They have a great return policy. Satisfaction Guaranteed.

The closest store to you is in Bridgeton, MO. Could be a fun ride?

I have a pair of the ICON Tarmac 2 in Blue and Yellow. I had the yellow pair on when I totaled my Burgman and they held up VERY WELL. I was pleased....

Tarmac2_Glv_yel.jpg

I ended up buying a pair of these. I really like them, they let a lot of air pass and still offer a good amount of protection. They were spendy but nice and seem like they will hold up for a while. Beware, they run a full size small.

black.jpg

Alpinestars SP-X

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rad. I knew you would have something useful to contribute.
Well, I doubted anyone would care, but I use these-Tourmaster Airflow

d4b586d990cde78709dc19c2eb3e7f68_rough.jpg

Light, comfortable, sensitive, inexpensive ($20)-my favorites. Not a whole lot in the way of protection, but better than nothing. I go through a pair a season, roughly.

I vote with Rad, These gloves are super comfortable, and the price is right.

I mentioned my Kevlar mesh gloves that I picked up at a tent sale. Well, after looking through this thread I went looking around. The gloves are not the Held Kevlar mesh. But are freaking identical! The _only_ difference is the Held logo on the wrist strap.

Probably made on the same assembly line by the same workers just branded something else. I can't see their being a huge knock off market for a pretty specialized set of gloves.

My only complaint with them is you get caught in a hard downpour. You expect to get wet hands - hey! their mesh! But they leak dye like a mofo. No big whoop. For the $15 I paid for them, I'll put up with the black hands.

I was thinking about trying the Mechanix gloves that many mechanics and moto-x riders wear. They have a cold-weather and a mesh version. Don't know about protection tho. Anyone have any feedback on these?

I was thinking about trying the Mechanix gloves that many mechanics and moto-x riders wear. They have a cold-weather and a mesh version. Don't know about protection tho. Anyone have any feedback on these?
The ones that I have seen locally cost as much or more than motorcycle gloves. Especially, when you can usually pick up some bike gloves on sale.