Lets Talk Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[if you want to WASTE $300+ dollars, you could buy a Scorpion Exo-1000! :dribble: :dribble: (biggest disappointment in over $15k of motorcycle accessory purchases in the last 5 years)!
Best Regards,

Shane
I had an exo1000 fo two days. The biggest problem I had was very poor ventilation for shield resulting in extreme condensation (not fogging) build up. Totally unusable in <40 temps. This was an acknowledged problem by scorpion, they are working on fixes/design changes for all their FF helmets.

I have two Scorpion exo700's and they're the quietest helmets I've owned, which includes Shoei and an Arai Astral. I tried the '1000 but didn't like it and didn't need the whole inflatable cheek pad gimmick thingamawhosit. I will never own an Arai again as it was, as far as I'm concerned, the poorest quality helmet I've onwned. The top vents would not stay fixed (replaced them numerous times) and same for the shield vents. The rubber strip around the bottom also started to just 'fall off'. On the other hand, I had it painted like an eyeball and it's damn cool looking.
The problems you had with your Arai may stem from having it painted, if the vents and gaskets were removed for paint. Regardless, I'd call Arai America and see if they won't do something for you - their customer service is outstanding. I've had 0 complaints about the build quality of my helmet, and neither have most Arai owners I know.

My main helmet is an Astral-X too, but I'm looking to replace it this season for a few reasons: I don't like the visor change system on Arais, and the visor on mine fogs up like nobody's business in cool, damp weather. It also got smacked around when I was rear-ended last year; x-rays said it was sound, but I don't really trust it. Besides, it's scratched all to hell now anyway.

I ordered a Caberg Trip from the UK a couple of months ago. Overall I liked it, but it was very much the wrong shape for my head and I wound up selling it on another forum. Unfortunately getting the right fit has been a continuing problem for me - I have a "long oval" shaped head and most helmets put a lot of pressure on my forehead. I've gone through various models of HJC, OGK, Scorpion, and now the Caberg, and the only helmets I've found so far that fit comfortably are the Arai mid-oval and long-oval helmets (Astral-X/Vector, Profile, and the off-road XD).

I've got my eye on the Vemar Jiano now. It's a flip-up that Vemar describes as having a mid-oval fit with extra room front-to-back and a slimmer fit side-to-side. With the Caberg I found I really liked the convenience of the flip-up, and the Jiano is DOT and ECE 22.05 rated as a full-face helmet, so I'm less concerned about the chin bar/flip mechanism giving out in an accident. If the Jiano doesn't pan out - I'll have to mail order it and pray it fits better than the Caberg did - I'll probably wind up buying either a Shark RSX/RSI depending on fit, or another Arai.

Regarding noise vs. ventilation, I'll take a noisier helmet with better ventilation every time. I don't really notice helmet noise much because the earplugs I always wear bring it down to background levels, and I'd rather not stew in my own juices when I'm out in hot weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
[if you want to WASTE $300+ dollars, you could buy a Scorpion Exo-1000! :dribble: :dribble: (biggest disappointment in over $15k of motorcycle accessory purchases in the last 5 years)!
Best Regards,

Shane
I had an exo1000 fo two days. The biggest problem I had was very poor ventilation for shield resulting in extreme condensation (not fogging) build up. Totally unusable in <40 temps. This was an acknowledged problem by scorpion, they are working on fixes/design changes for all their FF helmets.
I had the "condensation" problem even in the 50s.

After sending the helmet back to Scorpion (in the first 6 weeks of ownership, they had it 4 weeks longer than I did :blink: ), they sent it back with a new shield telling me it was my problem.

Then when I told their representative to do a GOOGLE on the Exo-1000 problems, I was told that the Exo-1000 wasn't meant for touring riders but for SPORT riders.

I finally gave up and sold the POS for a large loss and I will NEVER own another Scorpion product.

Best Regards,

Shane

Vemar Jiano just shipped out direct from Italy - got it off eBay for a full $100 less than what it's listing for straight from the US distributor, which is the only place in the US that has them in stock at the moment. My last international eBay helmet experience went off without a hitch (other than the helmet not fitting right) so here's hoping this one is smooth as well. Once it shows up I'll post a review.

I just bought two HJC AC-12 Axis in MC-5 color scheme.This is my second round of the AC-12 helmet and I am very pleased thus far. GF likes hers too.

Great mid-priced helmet IMHO.

mc5.jpg
I just bought one of these from www.newenough.com for $119 + shipping. The AC12 Yikes III was just reduced to $99. Great deal!

I was replacing my AC11 which had real ventilation problems. The new AC12 is much better. I can feel a significant improvement in ventilation inside the helmet. I've tried to fog the shield, but it clears immedietly.

Looking for a good fitting, quiet and cool full face helmet, any suggestions or preferences ?
Not much help here. I use a different set of criteria when selecting brain protection. But I'm an old guy who is more susceptible to damage from impact, YMMV....
:blink: I just did a little research and the new Snell M2010 standards that have been formalized as a result of that article and testing is being made available to motorcycle helmet manufacturers and will take some time to phase in.

By Snell's estimates the new standards will allow motorcycle helmet manufacturers to produce helmets that will meet both European and U.S. standards with a single model...but by their estimates, it may be October of 2009 before the first helmets come on line for sale in the U.S.

So, if they are correct the new standards for size and shape of head, amount of joules of energy transfered to cranial area will be manufactured and sold in the U.S. starting around October 2009 and phase out of the old M2005 standards used by motorcycle helmet manufacturers could take as long as into the 2012 calendar year.

Scott

Shoei X-11 for me.

Love mine, Great ventilation is what sold me on it. Relatively quite, as good, if not better than any other helmet I've had. Do keep in mind I have a +4 height windshield on my Gen. I FJR as well. I'm sure this comes into play regarding the noise level. All this, and it has some of the highest crash safety ratings from all I've read. A bit on the spendy side, but, I value my head.

I've had the old Bell Stars from the 70's, I then went to Shoei for many years and many helmets, best helmet for the money and not bad. I then switched to Arai (Quantum-F) about a decade back. I thought the Arai was quieter, and it fit better. I also like the interchangeable cheek pads etc.

I also think helmets are inflated in price. There are many helmets that will do the job. It seemed as the high end helmets started selling well the others raised their prices accordingly. Soon my Shoei was only about $50 or so dollars less then the top of the line Arai. Now lids are huge dollars. Back in the 90's I still was able to buy nice Shoei's for under $200. Now they are rather pricey like most others. Granted HJC, and others, have very reasonable prices, I'm just not sold on those yet.

Your best bet is find a lid that fits well, holds up well in testing DOT and SNELL, and is a style you like (not necessarily in that order). You can also get into the entire argument of which spec is better or the combined two is worse etc.

Good luck!

I have an HJC which I find comfortable but I about want to drive over it with my truck every time I need to change the shield. It says it is their patented technology and I think they just had to come up with something so they didn't have to purchase someone else's technology.

Just because of this I won't buy one again.

gypsy

I have an HJC which I find comfortable but I about want to drive over it with my truck every time I need to change the shield. It says it is their patented technology and I think they just had to come up with something so they didn't have to purchase someone else's technology.
Just because of this I won't buy one again.

gypsy
Which model? I have an AC-12 and it's very easy to switch shields to me.

Vemar Jiano just shipped out direct from Italy - got it off eBay for a full $100 less than what it's listing for straight from the US distributor, which is the only place in the US that has them in stock at the moment. My last international eBay helmet experience went off without a hitch (other than the helmet not fitting right) so here's hoping this one is smooth as well. Once it shows up I'll post a review.

Could you please let me know, your appreciation of that helmet. Looking for a new helmet actually, and I like the look and the fact that you have a sun visor incorporate to the helmet.

Thanks

I dont like the shield removal sys. on the Arai compared to others but I did find a vidio and it showed yanking the shield allmost upward to remove it, the vidio made it a little easier stating that dont do it slow .. just give it a yank.

I have heard bad reviews about the Icon shields but I love the looks of theirs more than most.

The scorpians have a problem with parts braking while doing the shield swaps. More than one place has told me that they actually sell more parts for the replacing of the shields than they actually sell shields.

I have two Scorpion exo700's and they're the quietest helmets I've owned. The Scorpions fit me perfectly, the shield changing system is probably the quickest around. Their shields are fog free so no having to use another aftermarket product to keep the fog off. I'm really loving the photochromatic shield too. At $190 price point, a very affordable lid, imho.
+1 for the Scorpion EXO700... I also have two of them and have been extremely happy with them both, especially that fog-free shield! But as some have mentioned, you really need to find a helmet that is going to fit your head. Some folks have, um, unique-shaped craniums and have found one brand to be more brain-friendly than another. YMMV

Another happy EXO700 owner. My wife and I both have them and they seem to fit our heads well so the noise level is low and the comfort is good. Venting is good on hot days and the antifog shield is nice when riding in the 30's.

If you are looking for a flip-up I just bought the HJC Symax II. I use the first generation daily now and I have to say the 2nd generation is leaps & bounds better.

Well, I'm thinking of buying a new full face helmet, currently using an HJC symax. The old HJC is getting beat and has been dropped a few times. Looking for a good fitting, quiet and cool full face helmet, any suggestions or preferences ? Appreciate any and all replies in advance.

I think you'd be missing out on an excellent helmet that probably offers the best value for money if you didn't consider the GMAX GM68. Check out the review on webBikeWorld where it won a "Best of the Year" award for 2007.