Lock a Garmin .... Job done.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
.... the Streetpilot 2730, into it's plastic cradle, and then to the bar area of the bike. ??

Any of you Guys had success in doing it, without forking out over $100+ for the Touratech aluminum lockable mount ??

Any ideas out there :clapping:

I've been mulling it over for a while now as it bugs me a little to have to remove it and stow in the top case every time we stop for lunch, etc.

What I'm thinking involves drilling holes and running flex wire to a lockable loop. Drilling into the cradle is OK, only a 1/8 hole, but ya cain't drill into that there 2730 -- can ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
.... the Streetpilot 2730, into it's plastic cradle, and then to the bar area of the bike. ??

Any of you Guys had success in doing it, without forking out over $100+ for the Touratech aluminum lockable mount ??

I've been mulling it over for a while now as it bugs me a little to have to remove it and stow in the top case every time we stop for lunch, etc.

What I'm thinking involves drilling holes and running flex wire to a lockable loop. Drilling into the cradle is OK, only a 1/8 hole, but ya cain't drill into that there 2730 -- can ya?
Sure you can. If you don't want to drill it just mark the spot and send it up here. I will drill it for you no charge. :yahoo: :yahoo: Does it matter if it doesn't work after I drill it???? :huh:

What about the base of the unit where the auto mount is located ?? is that small round baseplate mounted to the main case of the unit???

Speaking as a Zumo owner who has the ability to secure the unit, I don't, because even if it is secured it makes it tempting for someone to mess with it to see if isn't secured. Stowing the unit in the tankbag, and then taking the tankbag with me, seems the best option for me. This little addition to my routine of gloves, helmet, plugs, stich' etc. is minor.

On the other hand, I'm always looking for ways to simplify the whole process. Nobody likes to wait for me to fuss with all my gear to get it "just right".

OH I had an idea .. is there a screw you can replace with a longer screw to which you can attach a tether?

I have moved to just covering my bike with my Nelson cover if I'm going to be inside somewhere and don't want to bring all my gear (lunch stops where I can't park and see my bike). Putting on and taking off the cover takes about 2 minutes of my time. Way less than putting everything back onto the bike.

If you can't see it, you don't know it's there approach. :)

Dave

Sure you can. If you don't want to drill it just mark the spot and send it up here. I will drill it for you no charge. :yahoo: :yahoo: Does it matter if it doesn't work after I drill it???? :huh:
Ray, a beautiful gesture, thank you. This is what friends are for :p ......... :lol:

Ray, a beautiful gesture, thank you. This is what friends are for :p ......... :lol:
Well Roger, we're also very helpful in Arizona. Just send it over to your Papa Chuy and I'll be happy to chuck it into The Grand Canyon for you. Signed, Rabid GPS Hater!

Speaking as a Zumo owner who has the ability to secure the unit, I don't, because even if it is secured it makes it tempting for someone to mess with it to see if isn't secured. Stowing the unit in the tankbag, and then taking the tankbag with me, seems the best option for me. This little addition to my routine of gloves, helmet, plugs, stich' etc. is minor.

On the other hand, I'm always looking for ways to simplify the whole process. Nobody likes to wait for me to fuss with all my gear to get it "just right".

OH I had an idea .. is there a screw you can replace with a longer screw to which you can attach a tether?
I considered that idea. The screws are pretty flimsy though. The screw at the lower right is an ideal location ....

I have moved to just covering my bike with my Nelson cover if I'm going to be inside somewhere and don't want to bring all my gear (lunch stops where I can't park and see my bike). Putting on and taking off the cover takes about 2 minutes of my time. Way less than putting everything back onto the bike.

If you can't see it, you don't know it's there approach. :)

Dave
I know where you're coming from Duster, unless you meet the odd reprobate who decides he needs to know just what's under the cover :eek: . Happened to me last year.

Well Roger, we're also very helpful in Arizona. Just send it over to your Papa Chuy and I'll be happy to chuck it into The Grand Canyon for you. Signed, Rabid GPS Hater!
Dear Rabid GPS Hater,

I'm in sympathy with your pain - I do hear that a GPS could be useful in the lower America's though :D

I don't know about the lower americas but if Don had a GPS he might be able to remove his head from the lower regions where he keeps it. He still rides Beemers and Hardleys after all and he admits fathering Skooter.

I think your thread has gone to shit Roger. :eek:

I don't know about the lower americas but if Don had a GPS he might be able to remove his head from the lower regions where he keeps it. He still rides Beemers and Hardleys after all and he admits fathering Skooter.

I think you're right Ray -- got some good info before it's demise though :lol:

1) I hate GPS! 2) Still ride Beemers, going to order a K1600GT soon. 3) Still ride H-D's, cool guys like dcarver, BikerGeek99 and Papa Chuy ride Harley-Davidson. 4) Si Paco, I am SkooterG's illegitimate bastard Padre (Father)! 5) Sorry Scouser, your thread is pretty much in the crapper! Here rogdeb, this will kill this thread for good!!!

bustanut-L.jpg