Looking for a backpack for my laptop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlyblue

Reaction score
I've strapped my laptop to the passenger area holding it in place with a bungie hooked onto the passenger grab rail. I'm not too comfortable with this approach. I am considering what appears to be a quality backpack that has a specific ability to accomodate & protect a laptop, along with anything else you care to toss in.

I'd really like suggestions regards any experience you've had with backpacks.

Here's a link that a buddie sent me for the brand and type I'm considering:

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/searc...axio&page=1

Thanks

It's been discussed multiple times on the forum. I found a bunch of threads when I entered +backpack +laptop into the Search button including more options than just backpacks.

+1 on the Cortech tail bag. If I absolutely, positively, have to take the laptop, that's where it goes.

I currently have a backpack that I carry my laptop in to work and to customer sites. It's a real pain on the bike. For one, it's heavy and makes flipping my weight from side to side alot harder. It's also a pain to get the straps on over the Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that I wear. I really need to either find a tailbag that can handle the laptop and assorted cables and notepads, or find a way to secure my existing backpack to the passenger seat...

I use a targus laptop bag from Dell (I think Staples carries these as well, cost ~$79) to carry my stuff each day to/from work on the bike. It was ~$99 and is wonderful. It has the main compartment for the laptop, one more for paperwork and a decent size pouch up front for the smaller things. It has no problems holding the laptop, lots of paperwork (a few inches thick), couple cans of coke, lunch, phones, ect....straps on around your waist for extra stability.

Like any of my backpacks it can be a PITA to get on sometimes over the Joe Rocket jacket but I have used it daily for 2 yrs, even in the rain with no problems.

I use a targus laptop bag from Dell (I think Staples carries these as well, cost ~$79) to carry my stuff each day to/from work on the bike. It was ~$99 and is wonderful. It has the main compartment for the laptop, one more for paperwork and a decent size pouch up front for the smaller things. It has no problems holding the laptop, lots of paperwork (a few inches thick), couple cans of coke, lunch, phones, ect....straps on around your waist for extra stability.
Like any of my backpacks it can be a PITA to get on sometimes over the Joe Rocket jacket but I have used it daily for 2 yrs, even in the rain with no problems.
I ride with my computer (and drink cup) 5-6 days a week depending on where I have decided to work for the day.

If you can afford it, I would recommend you get a top case. There are several excellent ones to choose from.

Best Regards,

Shane

Newenough! Cortech tail bag, bag goes around/under the rear seat, expands, fit's laptop excellent!
https://www.newenoughhp.com/tour_master_cor...il_bag_page.htm

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the bag on your bike would you?

Capt. Bob

Here you go Cap...,

Had to shoot these in the garage due to the snow piled up on the garage door...

I also put a piece of foam in the bag for the laptop to sit on.

DSCN2040.jpg

DSCN2039.jpg

DSCN2038.jpg

Since you asked, click here for a review of Roadgear's Multitasker briefcase, which can be worn as a backpack. I also read a favorable review of this in some bike mag a few months ago. I think it was Rider. It's one option, though it doesn't look like there'd be much protection for the laptop.

That said...

I currently have a backpack that I carry my laptop in to work and to customer sites. It's a real pain on the bike. For one, it's heavy and makes flipping my weight from side to side alot harder. It's also a pain to get the straps on over the Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that I wear. I really need to either find a tailbag that can handle the laptop and assorted cables and notepads, or find a way to secure my existing backpack to the passenger seat...
I don't like wearing a backpack on a bike either for all the reasons jeremybhm stated plus I really, really hate the idea of landing on it in a get off.

I carry my laptop in this Targus Port bag which just happens to lay flat in the bottom half of a Givi 52 top case as though it was custom made to fit it. I added some foam to fit in the bottom of the Givi, and when I put this thing in there, it's going nowhere.

I got the Targus Port case at Office Max or Office Depot. I can't remember which because I can't tell them apart. ;)

I ride with my computer (and drink cup) 5-6 days a week depending on where I have decided to work for the day.

If you can afford it, I would recommend you get a top case. There are several excellent ones to choose from.

Best Regards,

Shane
Would love to get a top case, in fact it is in my top 5 on my FJR shopping list....It might be delayed however b/c I curbed my car pretty good a few weeks ago and my wife is still a little sore about that...

:(

Maybe when things settle down a bit and she forgets the $900 repair bill I can slip it in!

I decided to go another direction. I'm not a "power user", so I don't need a massive laptop. I DID enquire earlier here on the forum about what/how laptops people were carrying in their FJR. I didn't get much response.

p1610TankBag.JPG

What I wanted was a TANK BAG sized laptop. I still don't want a top case, so I found a tabletpc to fit in my Yamaha tankbag. In fact it fits in the map pocket. In fact, I can turn it on and use it while in the map pocket. Although in direct sunlight (while in the pocket) it is somewhat hard to see. The Fujitsu 1610 runs about 3 hours on the stock battery, about 6 hours on a 6 cell battery. I bought a 12 volt adapter so I can just plug it in and run it off the bike. Or I suppose I could have used one of those plug in 110 outlet converter jobbies. Oh well, the batteries are just for backup and the thing runs off car/bike/airplane power.

p1610Tablet.JPG

The touchscreen is small. Only 8.9 inches diagonal. It does have a full keyboard, but it is on the miniature side. Like I said, I'm not a power user. But I have a USB GPS, a USB DVD/R burner, it has Bluetooth, internal WIFI and I have a Mogo mouse for it that resides in the PCMCIA slot. Pretty nice in a 2.2 pound package. Enough to surf, do email, plot/plan trips, get the weather, etc,. Works well for me. I put it to use in Chicago while in class. Take notes right on the screen. Lots of uses. Carry it easily just about anywhere. Better have good bifocals, though!! :coolsmiley:

p1610keyboard.JPG

It might not be your cup of tea, but it sure works for me.

So to answer the original thread question, I don't use a backpack or a tail pack, I use a Yamaha tank bag to carry my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the bag on your bike would you?

Capt. Bob

Here you go Cap...,

Had to shoot these in the garage due to the snow piled up on the garage door...

I also put a piece of foam in the bag for the laptop to sit on.

Thanks my man, greatly appreciated.

It's just what I was looking for.

Capt. Bob

I have an Acer 3200 traveler that I carry in a North Face back pack. I am reluctant to carry it when rain is predicted as the bag is not waterproof. Have you looked at the Patagonia waterproof bags, Ortlieb or one of the shoulder packs like those offered at Aerostich? I would recommend a waterproof unit if you have that kind of weather on a regular basis.

I decided to go another direction. I'm not a "power user", so I don't need a massive laptop. I DID enquire earlier here on the forum about what/how laptops people were carrying in their FJR. I didn't get much response.
p1610TankBag.JPG

What I wanted was a TANK BAG sized laptop. I still don't want a top case, so I found a tabletpc to fit in my Yamaha tankbag. In fact it fits in the map pocket. In fact, I can turn it on and use it while in the map pocket. Although in direct sunlight (while in the pocket) it is somewhat hard to see. The Fujitsu 1610 runs about 3 hours on the stock battery, about 6 hours on a 6 cell battery. I bought a 12 volt adapter so I can just plug it in and run it off the bike. Or I suppose I could have used one of those plug in 110 outlet converter jobbies. Oh well, the batteries are just for backup and the thing runs off car/bike/airplane power.

p1610Tablet.JPG

The touchscreen is small. Only 8.9 inches diagonal. It does have a full keyboard, but it is on the miniature side. Like I said, I'm not a power user. But I have a USB GPS, a USB DVD/R burner, it has Bluetooth, internal WIFI and I have a Mogo mouse for it that resides in the PCMCIA slot. Pretty nice in a 2.2 pound package. Enough to surf, do email, plot/plan trips, get the weather, etc,. Works well for me. I put it to use in Chicago while in class. Take notes right on the screen. Lots of uses. Carry it easily just about anywhere. Better have good bifocals, though!! :coolsmiley:

p1610keyboard.JPG

It might not be your cup of tea, but it sure works for me.

So to answer the original thread question, I don't use a backpack or a tail pack, I use a Yamaha tank bag to carry my laptop.

I personally use a backpack...Icon Squad from Cycle Gear. Pike rides lower on the back than a normal backpack. Strap arrangement is easy to slip over my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and zips over the chest. Very secure. Backpack loads from the bottom keeping the weight low and it has extendable helmet bag. I haven't tested the helmet feature but it might come in handy some day. Lots of little pockets and a large main pocket.

Thanks to each of you that provided advice. Yesterday, a Cortech (Tourmaster) sport tail bag showed up at the front door. It had been recommended by a couple contributors to this thread. I do believe it is the answer I was looking for. Not only is it a well made, stylish looking tail bag, but it also replaces both my company issued laptop bag and my briefcase. This morning, it carried wallet, sunglasses, laptop, various briefcase items, and extra shoes (for when I get to work and remove my cycling boots). It will also be my briefcase when simply driving my truck to work. At least for me, it is the one bag that will do all of the three things I was looking for.