Looking for a new Helmet.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean33

Reaction score
im looking for a new helmet. where are the best prices,I think i like the Multitec, How is the noise. Any links would be great. Dean :rolleyes:

I have always found Helmetshop.com to be the most competitive price-wise. Their shop is in Daytona Beach - a nice place to stop if you ever go to bike week. They offer free shipping and make sure to call them for "in store" prices. Many helmet manufacturers have dealership agreements that prevent agressive on-line discounting.

im looking for a new helmet. where are the best prices,I think i like the Multitec, How is the noise. Any links would be great. Dean :rolleyes:
I have a Shoei multitec & just took delivery of a Schuberth C3.

Honestly, you won't go wrong with either.

The schuberth (size S) fits my head better (more snug) and it exudes quality. Weight is not an issue as it is distributed well and the interior is more 'plush' than the shoei.

It feels physically smaller than the shoei (at least, to me) and there is lots of room inside for the starcom1 headset+microphone.

When the visor is closed, virtually all engine & exhaust noise are filtered out. I LOVE the internal sun visor.

Saying that, i've only had it for a week - so i need a little more time to judge its durability and wet-weather performance.

To sum up the Schuberth:

+ Classy. Great quality & build. Plush lining. Good noise reduction. Excellent view from inside the helmet (i.e not restrictive). Comes with pinlock anti visor as standard. Sun visor is amazing. Lots of room for headset (but a bit fiddly to uninstall for cleaning)

- Cost, cost, cost & will it stand the test of time as well as the multitec???

The multitec (also size S) is cheaper & is a great everyday helmet for commuting, etc. I fitted a cardo 'teamset' bluetooth kit to the shoei and its been working flawlessly for over 2 years. Also, i think i have a little less buffeting with the shoei (i have a CB +4+4 flip shield) BUT we had some freaky winds over here, so that may be an unfair statement. I've really enjoyed the shoei - riding in all seasons & all types of roads. The only parts i replaced were the cheekpads - as the old ones did not hold my cheeks firm enough for my liking (i replaced them with size 41 original shoei pads)

The shoei has been washed many, many times in a soapy sink and keeps coming out like new. I will definitely be buying another when my old one retires.

To sum up the Shoei:

+ The perfect helmet for commuting. Quiet. Watertight. Relatively affordable. Durable. Lots of space for cardo headset (& easy to install/uminstall for cleaning)

- Internal lining not as 'plush' as it could be. Expensive replacement parts (anti-fog pinlick, visors, pads). No internal sun visor.

Bottom line is they are both good helmets & it depends on fit & budget.

Where did you get the Schuberth and what did you pay????
R

Bought it from Mike at https://www.sportouring.co.uk

Paid 405 GBP each (around $590 USD) - i had to buy 2 as the S/O deserves the best as well :assassin:

He also installed the starcom headsets for me & assisted me with every little annoying question i had.

Absolutely top-notch service!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just replaced my Multitec with another Multitec. The noise is not issue to me. The only issue to date with the helmet is installing a headset for communication. It is possible; it just takes a little time and effort.

parts411.com was $387 (call them to get this price)

Mondak Motor Sports $405

I ordered from Mondak as I order everything from Gary. He sells us stuff from all of his catalogs and OEM parts cheap.

Edit:

Side note, I enjoy the fact that I don't need to call Gary to make a order. I just email him what I want, he emails back the costs, and I send him my credit card number. I really don't like talking on the phone.

I just replaced my Multitec with another Multitec. The noise is not issue to me.
parts411.com was $387 (call them to get this price)
I concur with John on parts411 having the best prices. And I've ordered a couple of helmets from them now. Very good service.

BUT, this Multitec is the noisiest helmet I've ever owned. It's the only flip-up I've owned, so I just figured you had to trade quiet for convenience. I love it though. With earplugs.

BUT, this Multitec is the noisiest helmet I've ever owned. It's the only flip-up I've owned, so I just figured you had to trade quiet for convenience. I love it though. With earplugs.
Are you riding with the stock screen? I found that all my helmets (both f/f and flip) were unbearably noisy until i replaced the screen with a CB +4+4 flip.

Now i can ride visor up and enjoy the breeze (at least 'til i get hit in the eye by a rogue mosquito :blink: )

I have a Shoei RF1000 and a Multitec - neither seems more noisy than the other, but I do wear earplugs anytime I am going more than a mile or two.

I love the modular, and the RF1000 is more of a back-up.

Both of these helmets fit my head great with no hotspots, but I also had to put the thicker cheek pads in the RF1000 to get a more comfortable fit.

If I were going to get a new helmet I would get another Multitec, although I have not had the opportunity to try the new Nolan N103 N-Com. It comes with the pin-lock shield and the internal sun visor, I would only be worried about the venting as compared to my Multitec (which is outstanding).

I have a Shoei RF1000 and a Multitec - neither seems more noisy than the other, but I do wear earplugs anytime I am going more than a mile or two.
I love the modular, and the RF1000 is more of a back-up.

Both of these helmets fit my head great with no hotspots, but I also had to put the thicker cheek pads in the RF1000 to get a more comfortable fit.

If I were going to get a new helmet I would get another Multitec, although I have not had the opportunity to try the new Nolan N103 N-Com. It comes with the pin-lock shield and the internal sun visor, I would only be worried about the venting as compared to my Multitec (which is outstanding).
I use a Nolan N103 (n-com) on my goldwing. I'd have to say that the Multitec would be a better choice for the FJR, as it does have much better venting, it is sooo much lighter & it performs better in wet weather (i had beads of water running in through the N103's visor - and it got pretty annoying during a heavy downpour)

On a separate note: Anyone using an internal sun visor (or external visor without a pinlock) - i highly recommend wiping it with FOGTECH anti-fog wipes. No amount of heavy breathing or change of temp will let it fog up. Each application lasts for around 5 days https://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html

Are you riding with the stock screen? I found that all my helmets (both f/f and flip) were unbearably noisy until i replaced the screen with a CB +4+4 flip.

Now i can ride visor up and enjoy the breeze (at least 'til i get hit in the eye by a rogue mosquito :blink: )
+1

my really big teardrop head likes the Fulmer Modus series; I own 4 of these flips - daughter and AIW (Angelic Italian Wifey) use 2 of them. The other two of mine are the same, but have different headsets installed for different functions when I was a multi bike rider.

I have a CalSci Medium and always ride visor up unless it's raining cats and dogs (don't step into a poodle) and raise the windshield higher for colder weather or rainy weather.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

BUT, this Multitec is the noisiest helmet I've ever owned.
Are you riding with the stock screen?
Yes. This probably isn't the place to elaborate, but I like the stock sceen, and almost never raise it.

I'm okay with earplugs, and as others have noted, Multitecs have excellent venting and plush comfort.

Great helmet!

I'm in the same boat, I just sold my Suomy and am now looking for something new before riding season. Besides fit and comfort I want something that will accept my starcom headset without the mike touching my lips.

Thankyou for all the links,and reviews, Ill be soon to have a new helmet,I purchased ny nolan N102 with the bike 2 years ago, and have hated it ever since. Dean :yahoo:

I'm surprised the no one mentioned the HJC Symax yet. I bought a new Symax II last year and find that it is the most comfortable helmet I ever owned. I bought mine form NewEnough.com after first trying on several HJC helmets at my local dealer. I probably would have bought from the dealer, at a higher price of course, if he had the one I wanted in stock.

You probably already know that fit and comfort are most important when selecting a helmet. The Multitec doesn't fit me right. I never saw a Schuberth in a shop so I don't know how well they fit.

I really like the idea of the MultiTec, but my chin hits it. The chin piece is much shorter than that of the RF1000.

I'll be going back to the RF1000 after this Arai