Looking for Recommendations for Bigger Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
It's my first post after the required "Hello/Intro" one, and I know we've been asked not to duplicate previously covered subjects, but I can't find this EXACT one covered elsewhere in the forum and I'd like some specific suggestions, so. . .

My bike's an '05 with the factory windscreen, and I find it a bit windy for my taste--though I'm sure I'll be switching back and forth for summer vs. winter riding. But I want to go upsize for comfort (I'm tall and have also added bar risers), and I'm confused by the many options out there. The dealer has the Yamaha part, of course, just like stock but a bit larger. Then I find various other shapes available that seem to make sense, like the "upswept" look, and another one that looks like an hourglass and creates a "vortex" of wind around the rider. Who's tried any of these or any others, and how do you like yours? How does it compare to stock? Do they hamper performance, even in the down position? How do you like tinted vs. clear, if you went that way? Thanks for your input.

I'm running the CeeBailey 4" higher by 2" wider and am real happy with it. A friend bought the same windshield with the reverse flip and says it works better. We are both about 5'11" tall. I run with the shield about 1/2 to 2/3 up on the road and drop it around town.

My bike is an 07, but the results should be similar.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

i'm running the v-stream shield and although it is on the large side during cold days i appreciate having that big wall in front of me

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Cee Baily +2 reverse flip, stock width. I don't like the looks of a big windshield. I'm 6'4" and this cuts the wind and especially wind noise very well. If I had to do it again I would buy a stock heigth and width Cee Baily with the reverse flip. I get good noise and wind protection without putting it all the way up. It looks a little tall to me with it all the way down. When it's down and hot outside I could use a little more air flow. I know it get's hot in Sacramento.

If you want to totally block the wind blast get a 4 inch taller than stock if you are less tahn 6'2'. Get 6 inch taller if you are 6'3"r taller. The brand doesn't make that much difference. IMHO.

I'm quite happy with the shield I have. It is obviously taller and wider than stock. I don't know the brand because it was installed when I bought the bike (used) from the dealer. There is no visible writing on the edges.

The screen is pictured below, can any of you identify it?

scree1.jpg

screen2.jpg

I like my CalSci (MEDIUM, no vents)

I'm 5'11" and it's a good balance between hot/cold, loud/quiet riding styles.

My only complaint would be: the finish on the edges is not factory smooth.

V

Keep an eye on this eBay store https://stores.ebay.com/Racers35-Motorcycle-Windshields. It appears to be a Cee Bailey outlet for factory seconds. Mine was advertised as "used', but looked new. It had a small chip in it at the base of the plexi-glass in a corner that you can't even see while riding. $66 shipped. Great deal for less than 1/3 price :)
Certainly seems to be "Cee Bailey" stuff. Wish I had seen this before I bought. Ww, in the deserest southwest, go though windshields quickly with all the rocks and sand. I will keep this one in mind for my next on.

By the way, Cee Baileys are great. At least ours, with "flips", are very enjoyable to ride behind. I would recomemd them.

I have a CalSci like on OpenSource's bike above. I think it works quite well. I bought the taller version and ended up cutting about 1.5 inches off of it to tune to my taste. The open vents in the CalSci windshield do a good job of eliminating most of the backpressure or suction you often feel behind a taller windshield that offers more protection.

One other mod to the windshield that I made is to tip it back slightly by relocating the pivot points on the W-bracket arms (drill new holes) and also added spacers to the bottom mount on the W-bracket. This lays the windshield back more and creates less turbulence when the shield is raised and effectively lowers the upper edge of the windshield when it is in the full down position so a "tall" shield doesn't look or act so "tall."

I have a CalSci like on OpenSource's bike above. I think it works quite well. I bought the taller version and ended up cutting about 1.5 inches off of it to tune to my taste. The open vents in the CalSci windshield do a good job of eliminating most of the backpressure or suction you often feel behind a taller windshield that offers more protection.
One other mod to the windshield that I made is to tip it back slightly by relocating the pivot points on the W-bracket arms (drill new holes) and also added spacers to the bottom mount on the W-bracket. This lays the windshield back more and creates less turbulence when the shield is raised and effectively lowers the upper edge of the windshield when it is in the full down position so a "tall" shield doesn't look or act so "tall."

Thanks for the info ! I have to talk with the insurance adjuster tomorrow and need to know what this screen will cost

Mine's a Gen-2, but I love my new Rifle windshield. No buffeting, no turbulence, and a solid piece. I got the +5" tall, but could have gotten by with +3 (I'm 6'2" 32 inseam).

Sacramento Mike,

I have a CeeBailey's +4" tall +2" wide that I haven't put on my '05 for winter riding yet (getting pretty close with the 10 degree drop in temps today - probably put it on within the next couple of weeks). If you want to come up to Roseville, PM me for address/phone number and we'll slap it on your bike for a couple of days so you can see whether or not it meets your needs/wants. While up in this part of the world, you might want to pick up a few spare teflon screws - Roseville Cycle has 'em for cheap.

I also run 5/8" spacers below the "W" to tilt the screen back and to get some airflow under the screen so there's less of the phantom hand trying to push your head into the speedometer.

It's the only aftermarket shield I have used, but lots of people love the V-Stream, the Cal-Sci, and for the '05s, a Rifle WITH a tuning block was the trick setup a couple of years ago.

RsvlFeej

Sacramento Mike,
I have a CeeBailey's +4" tall +2" wide that I haven't put on my '05 for winter riding yet (getting pretty close with the 10 degree drop in temps today - probably put it on within the next couple of weeks). If you want to come up to Roseville, PM me for address/phone number and we'll slap it on your bike .................

Same offer. I'm in Elk Grove. C'mon down and we'll put the 'shield on and you can run up and down Hwy 99 to see if it works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Cee Bailey Reverse Contour Flip windshield but mine is +6 taller and +4 wider. It works great for me and I am 6'3" with short legs. Sitting on a hard surface the top of my head is 40" above the seat surface (there really should be a name for this) and I have risers too. No disturbance at all from traffic or trucks and very quiet behind it - I would say it recuced wind noise by 90% over the Yamaha Tall shield which was nice but just not tall enough for me. I can now ride this bike just as far as I want to.

I contacted Mark at CalSci and let him know what my usual riding conditions are and my size. He made a recommendation for their XL Shield. I thought it might be a bit big being 4.5" higher than stock, but decided to trust his judgement.

Bottom line - he's right. I like to ride with a half helmet (unless it's raining) and don't want to have to wear ear plugs due to the wind buffetting (like I did on the stock shield). I also had to crouch down a bit even with the seat in the lower position on my 06FJR which would bother my back. Now I resored the seat to the upper position, and am looking to get risers. Best of all the windshield doesn't have to be fully raised to eliminate 95% of wind disturbance.

The back pressure felt with stock is all but gone. Even my key fob stays put now where before it would flip over from the wind current going forward.

Noise levels dropped substantially. Now I can really hear the motor. Heck, I can even hear tire noise change on different road surfaces (new smooth blacktop to older rough blacktop @ 55mph). That's new.

Maybe you would understand if I said my last bike was a Road Star V twin 1600 cc with Vance & Hines long shots! LOUD!