Looking to get a new GPS, what do you own?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that have the Nuvi 1490, does it allow you to create custom routes in Basecamp and upload them to the unit?

For those of you that have the Nuvi 1490, does it allow you to create custom routes in Basecamp and upload them to the unit?

Yep. Garmin says it will accept 10 routes

What it won't do, which makes it completely useless to me for MC use, is it will not allow you to get the audio prompts into your helmet. Its Bluetooth function is only the handsfree profile to pair a phone to the GPS, (no BT headset) and no audio output jack either. And you can't use the phone BT handsfree feature if you can't even hear it, never-mind that the internal microphone would pick up tons of wind noise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep. Garmin says it will accept 10 routes

What it won't do, which makes it completely useless to me for MC use, is it will not allow you to get the audio prompts into your helmet. Its Bluetooth function is only the handsfree profile to pair a phone to the GPS, (no BT headset) and no audio output jack either. And you can't use the phone BT handsfree feature if you can't even hear it, never-mind that the internal microphone would pick up tons of wind noise.
So you can't pair it to a bluetooth headset, like my scala, for the directions? Its not super critical to me to hear the directions, at least not after going on some trips using maps/directions I printed out from google. I would think that anything would be an upgrade from having to glance down at my tank bag all the time. Plus I have a real hard time spending $650 on it...

No you can't pair to a sena helmet headset with that unit.

And while it may be a step up from a paper map (aka analog GPS), it won't be very much better. It will be somewhat hard to see the car GPS in direct sunlight since it is an automotive design, so you may actually spend too much time looking at it vs. a map, where you just pull over since you don't have a chance without first donning your drugstore cheater magnifier glasses (yeah we all have 'em).

There are some (inexpensive) auto units that do have either bluetooth or audio jack outputs or both. Having Garmina's computer gen voice tell you where to go is really a safety benefit. Think about how much coin we spend on other safety farkles? Doesn't seem nearly as irresponsible now does it?

And FWIW my last zumo 550 I found for just $450 (used) so there are always other ways to be somewhat frugal and still enjoy full GPS functionality.

YMMV as always

And while it may be a step up from a paper map (aka analog GPS), it won't be very much better. It will be somewhat hard to see the car GPS in direct sunlight since it is an automotive design, so you may actually spend too much time looking at it vs. a map, where you just pull over since you don't have a chance without first donning your drugstore cheater magnifier glasses (yeah we all have 'em).

There are some (inexpensive) auto units that do have either bluetooth or audio jack outputs or both. Having Garmina's computer gen voice tell you where to go is really a safety benefit. Think about how much coin we spend on other safety farkles? Doesn't seem nearly as irresponsible now does it?

And FWIW my last zumo 550 I found for just $450 (used) so there are always other ways to be somewhat frugal and still enjoy full GPS functionality.

YMMV as always
Thanks for answering my questions. I still havent decided what I want to get yet.

YMMV as always
Thanks for answering my questions. I still havent decided what I want to get yet.
Since I also ride off road I opted for the Garmin Montana 650t, and so far it is all I'm looking for. Have yet to put it on my KTM, but I will be after I finish FARKLING my FJR.

Since I also ride off road I opted for the Garmin Montana 650t, and so far it is all I'm looking for. Have yet to put it on my KTM, but I will be after I finish FARKLING my FJR.
I just did the same. Got a Montana 650 and retired my eTrex Vista HCx. I use it for backpacking/hiking, on the FJR and off-reading in the Jeep. It's a little big for backpacking, but ended up being the best of all worlds.

Hey, what do you guys think of the tom tom one? Wife had it for years and I used it from time to time to get to oregon. Man that thing is way outdated. And I could never figure out how to unlock the safety feature....

I used to have Tom a hawk ( the forerunner of the Tom Tom) when I was a kid..

But the PC world of today frowns upon weapons and racial stereotyping , so I can't talk aboot it ya know?

I used to have Tom a hawk ( the forerunner of the Tom Tom) when I was a kid..
But the PC world of today frowns upon weapons and racial stereotyping , so I can't talk aboot it ya know?
um, you really mean that, being a douche-umiak you can't talk seriously aboot stuff, right?.....lest yer peepee get whacked?

8452864759_4aa32cd504_s.jpg

Here is the picture, looks small. Hmmm, will be working on it.

Holy, monstrosity......the cnc guys who built that are snickering as we speak.....

"dude, this guy wanted a transformer mounted on his tripletree......I couldn't believe it!"

Then don't buy it then. Doesn't mean you have to dump on the guy, ya jackwagon.

Those mounts may be overkill, and they seem so in my mind too, but they surely provide a whole lot more vibration isolation than any others.

Sometimes I don't know why certain people post around here.

I'll be the first to say I am not a TOM TOM fan. They were also the ones who supplied the f'd up maps to Apple.

I just sold a 2730 Garmin, a great, no-nonsense GPS, and I own several other Garmins for the car. Currently rockin' the Montana 650t with a 16gb card where I've stored 4 maps: City nav, 24k and 100k topos, and some open source maps with nice single track trails. I can switch between the maps with one touch, great for off-road and dual sport.

It won't do Bluetooth, phone or weather, but it does support audio turn by turn, and the screen is very readable in direct sunlight. The only thing I miss about the older Zumos is the buttons, which make it easy to return back to the map screen.

Otherwise, the Montana is a winner.