Lost my Key!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200cs

Reaction score
As title states, I pulled into local cycle shop to look at tail bags and back rests for the FJR and as I was just touching the key, a car whipped in right behind me going really fast so I took my eyes of the key and it fell somewhere down in the fairings of the bike. The car did not hit me but now I have a lost key nowhere to be found. I was not going to unskin the bike in 100 degree weather so I had my wife bring the spare key. Lessons Learned:

1. Put a key ring of some sort on the new key to help make it easier to find.

2. Carry a spare key on the bike hidden under a "easy fairing" that still takes a tool to remove but does not require hours to take apart.

3. Pay attention.

Ok, I am not looking for sympathy, just trying to help a new guy out with lessons from my own stupidity. And, if you feel like you need to flame and tell me how dumb that was then feel free to go ahead. I am sure my beautiful wife who got to drive across Dallas in traffic to bring me a key forgot to say something so you can help ; )

Ha ha. Funny story dude. No flame here, I have done shit much more stupid. There's a thread around here about a finger tight oil drain bolt..............

That sucks, but good thing you were only across town and not far away somewhere. I always carry a spare key on me in my jacket when traveling. Not so much locally. And the probelm with putting too much stuff (other keys) on your key is that it really messes up the appearance of around that area over time. I am looking for some kind of (soft) 4"-6" lanyard I can attach to my motorcycel key.

LOL, did the same thing. Dropped my key and it landed on the frame and slide nicely under the tank. Luckily I always carry two spare keys in my jacket pocket ostensibly so I can open the side cases without having to turn off the engine. When I got home, I raised the tank and there was my key resting peacefully on the heat shield. There was NO WAY I could have gotten to that key at work with no tools.

A Spare key will save you some serious heartache.

Step 1: Go to a locksmith and get some cheap, $1 spares made

Step 2: Put the Yamaha branded ones away at home.

Step 3: Carry at least 2 of the spares; once for use and one on your person.

Step 4: Remember that it was something like the OP did, years ago, that left me stranded in the middle of the night that lead me to create steps 1-3.

Ditto about the locksmith. EVERYBODY, not just the OP. Don't go to a Yamaha dealer. Their keys are outrageous, but a decent locksmith will have blanks they can cut, and cheaply. One of my spare keys is pretty much always with me. I ground the big end of the key down on a bench grinder and carry the stubby little key in my wallet, down in the side pocket. You know, where you used to keep that spare condom you never used, until it deformed your wallet with a giveaway raised condom-shaped circle in the leather. :rolleyes: Anyway, the key is about the size of half a popsicle stick.

Side benefit: when I'm outside and want something out of a side case, or want to put something in when the bike's in the driveway, I don't have to go back inside to get the key.

I keep my main key on a boat type key chain, with a foam float attached. It is big enough that I should never lose it, and it is soft so it doesn't scratch the top of the triple tree.

I also carry a spare key in my jacket and I never ride without the jacket.

After doing more than my share of losing keys like this i have a spare on all my vehicles velcroed on some part that no one will find but i can reach easily. I also have spares for all the other keys, helmet lock, cable lock, givi trunk, hidden in the little pocket of the sidebag by the retractable runaway strap.

I too have one taped inside the fairings where it'll take a tool to get to it, but in a quick and relatively painless location.

Sometimes it's just not your day. I walked into a carry-out restaurant and a woman left, then came back in. She couldn't get into her pickup, it was really hot, and her little dog was locked in. The rub was that she knew how hot it would be, so left the engine and A/C running, locking the door with the remote. Unfortunately, the remote broke and she couldn't unlock the door. We tried swapping batteries with my mine, jimmying the windows, etc. Meanwhile, her dog was just sitting in the cold blast of air from the vents, happy as could be.

When the woman finally understood it was time to call a locksmith or break a window, the high drama and intensity finally broke. She thought to call her room mate to bring the spare. She'd not brought this up each of the times I asked her about a spare because the roomie had just gotten off work and was going to take a shower, so she didn't want to piss off the roomie. Duuhh

Everybody's posting spare key locations on a public forum! Kewl.

Maryland's closer than Seattle, and the Seattle's an AE anyway . . . . .

Everybody's posting spare key locations on a public forum! Kewl.

Maryland's closer than Seattle, and the Seattle's an AE anyway . . . . .
First off i would be very surprised if you could ever find it. Secondly, i would be equally surprised if you manual clutch slaves have the finesse to be able to ride an AE without hurting yourself or the bike.

Ha ha. Funny story dude. No flame here, I have done shit much more stupid. There's a thread around here about a finger tight oil drain bolt..............

That sucks, but good thing you were only across town and not far away somewhere. I always carry a spare key on me in my jacket when traveling. Not so much locally. And the probelm with putting too much stuff (other keys) on your key is that it really messes up the appearance of around that area over time. I am looking for some kind of (soft) 4"-6" lanyard I can attach to my motorcycel key.
Skooter,

Here's what I've been using. Keychain At first I thought the movement in the breeze would be a distraction, but I easily learned to ignore it. Also, it makes the key more noticeable in the side case lock, not that I'd EVER walk off and leave it there. :rolleyes:

If you give me one key I will lose it within the hour. My dealer gave me a blue rubber key ring so I added my disc lock key and a small flashlight also. Don't get out of town that much anymore since my COPD problems so may have to call wife to bring the spare if I don't visit a locksmith soon. :rolleyes:

I suppose it is a good thing that US bikes don't have the immobiliser system that everyone else dfoes - Keys for non-US markets cost about $100 each and must be 'learned' to the bike.

I looked for spare key blanks everywhere around here before I finally went to the Yammy dealer. I wanted spares for the saddlebags, which obviously don't work for the immobilizer ignition. Can you guys tell us which brand/# of key blanks work?

My daughter brought me a key fob from the Museum of Flight in D.C. It's one of those red cloth strips that say "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" that they use on military aircraft. Don't know what made her think that it'd fit the FJR. ;)

ok, I went to a local shop and had three keys made for 17.81 out the door. They look just like the Yamaha key but do not say Yamaha. I called the dealer and they wanted 14.00 for the blank and then I would have to go to a locksmith to have a it cut - no way I was paying this much. Now I have a spare on the bike and a few left over for my jackets.