Lowest temp you have ridden 10 plus miles in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far this year, the coldest I've ridden in was a trek that started at 25, and warmed up to a nice 28 by the time I reached my destination. I was wearing my leather jacket with quilted liner over a long-sleeve shirt, had my little neck scarf, plain leather riding gloves over brown cotton gloves, and blue jeans (no long johns or anything). My legs were cold.

Last year, took a birthday ride with my Dad to Breitbach's in Iowa. My ride to our meeting place started at about 20 degrees, 200 miles later when we got to Balltown, it was in the 40s. That time I had long johns and I think fleece lined pants...

I don't have any heated gear, never felt the need for it in temps down to 30's, and by the time we get below that, there is usually several inches of snow, ice, salt, and plow-trucks on the road. (Ever meet a plow truck with his blade down on a bike? I've heard of it happening once around here, the guy didn't tip the bike over or anything, but the snow blast from the blade busted his windshield, headlight, and face shield. Some ice/gravel in the snow blast did a number on his left hand...)

My low temp riding is usually done commuting 30 miles each way to/from work. Two years ago the snow held off long enough to let me ride until mid-January. Some mornings it was as low as 13°F on my way in. I often finish the last 5 miles or so on the highway where I see more than 5k rpm in 5th gear ;) Yesterday it was 23° when I rode to work.

When we left for EOM '08 it was 34° for the first 150 miles -- not cold for me but it was the lower limit/duration for my pillion. Pillion has seen ~28° for short stints.

I wear Gaerne boots, Hein Gericke mesh pants with rain liner in, textile Touring coat with quilted liner, leather gauntlets with layers of Thinsulate and insulating foam and a head sock. I have Yamaha's Gen I heated grips. Yesterday at 23° I was not cold anyplace including finger tips. This ride had the last 5 miles done >6k rpm in 5th. I actually get colder walking from my bike to the front door of my business than I do riding in unless I wear my helmet and gloves during the walk.

My first Yamaha grip kit was thrown in for free by my dealer as part of our deal negotiations. It was defective right out of the box. The next controller was bipolar, sometimes it would suddenly go cold for no reason, then sometimes it would get blazing hot. The throttle grip element finally opened up ending that entire grip system. I put on the look alike cheapies, ya get what ya pay for, on and off in less than a month. My latest Yamaha grip system works just the way it is supposed to and keeps my hands nice 'n warm.

Riding with herfjr and ZOOOMM (Iris & Jim):

Dscn1493a.jpg

Dscn1494a.jpg

Dscn1497a.jpg

Dscn1499a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
-4C for a 24 mile commute to work, if you add wind chill factor maybe down to -8C. When I got to work there was a nice layer of ice formed on the screen and nose section......

17* I was comfortable but the hands were getting cold, won't happen again with heated gloves :yahoo: Had to cut the ride short when it started snowing!

Cary

Hi all;

Not trying to one-up but left Edmonton Alberta for Phoenix Arizona on October 19th in 20 degree weather and rode for about 100 miles before it got warmer than freezing. My 2008 FJR came with grip warmers and I used an electric seat cushion wrapped around my back for two days. The seat cushion cost 10.00 Canadian, and yes I am cheap. I arrived in Phoenix on the 3rd day and the temperature indicated by the bike was 90. Unfortunately I am back home in Alberta after taking the big silver bird home. I will return to Arizona in January for the winter and some great riding.

During my morning 40 minute commute daily it is not uncommon to get to single digits.

As a kid in school growing up in Oklahoma geography was not something I enjoy or cared about. When I moved to Nevada I began to care, a little. When I was going to go somewhere new I would do a little research and learn about the area including average temps, rain fall, history and more.

In early march of this year I needed to go back to Tulsa, OK to handle some family business. This would be a great time to take the FJR on a ride. I was going to spread my mother’s ashes and did not have it in me to do a lot of research. I planned my route to shoot down over Hoover Damn, though Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and up to Oklahoma. This would be a better route as I feared snow on the high passes in Colorado.

My planed route should be easy. Nevada will be warm and Las Vegas is way to hot every time I go down there for work. Arizona won’t be an issue either, I have been to Phoenix a few times and it was hot. I did not expect anything worrisome in New Mexico. I had a mild concerned for Texas and Oklahoma. I wanted to avoid the thunder storms, hail storm, and tornados. My route was not the complicated and the Zumo would lead the way.

I decided to leave Reno, NV at 3pm to avoid the Arizona heat. I was looking forward to putting 1200 miles on the bike in 24 hours, and I did. However, at times it was not easy. It was snowing in Arizona. What the hell, Arizona was supposed to be hot!!! If, I had done my research I would have learned Flagstaff is at altitude. For over three hours the temps were somewhere between -12 and -4 with light snow and freezing fog. I would say the average was -7. Those temps were from my dash read out. The Zumo was giving me temps of -22 at the nearest airport.

When I stopped in flagstaff at 3am for fuel the plow truck driver was amazed I was on the road. It was not enough snow to require a plow, but he told me he was waiting for the call since the storm should be there anytime. I was considering getting a hotel and warming up. However, his news put me right back on the road so I did not get snowed in.

It may sound weird, but it seemed like the little bit of snow there was gave me some traction. When there was not snow I could feel the bike slide when I had a cross wind. Of course, that could just be in my head.

The freezing fog on my face shield sucked.

Riding in temps in the single digits is rather enjoyable to me. The cool crisp air seems to energies me during my 40 minute commute. When the temps are below zero, it sucks!!! I would not say it sucks enough for me to get heated gear, but it is cold, colder then I want to ride again.

After reading this thread, I just might try to ride to work, 45 min commute-all highway. I was thinking about it last Friday. It was 36F in the morning and went up to 65 in the pm. Compared to you guys, I feel like a wuss. Although I have not special cold-weather riding gear. But my First Gear Ranier has a windproof liner so I feel pretty confident in that. But the only gloves I use are ICON mesh gloves-super comfortable and good for me down to about 50F. For cold weather riding, I would definately need to upgrade those, get some good overpants, good boots, etc...

I'm off to do wome window shopping on this stuff... :clapping:

Last December I went on a 2 hour charity ride with my Vstar. The average temp was around 22F. No heated gear, no windshield, not very much fun.

This past weekend I rode 200 miles from Va beach to Northern va on the Feej. It rained the whole way back with temps starting at 41 at the beach, to 36 when I got home at 10:30pm. Still no heated gear, but better than the Vstar. I think the state police we passed were too shocked to pull us over when we passed them doing 85mph.

I plan on riding until they start sanding my road. So I'm guessing my low will be in the teens before the Feej gets parked for the winter.

About 15º / ± 5º . for 12/1,300 miles.

1978 Denver to Danville,Va.,and back(about 20/30º)

Before electrics.

Regularly commute into the 20s, for 32 miles. Have HotGrips on the FJ, which are good to about 30F. Lowest was about 15F on my FJ, with widder gloves. I did ride home last winter the day the ice storm hit DC. I was on the FJ and got out of the city proper before the bridges froze, but did some dancing over frozen overpasses. They closed I-95 and other interstates in the area. Took some folks over 8 hrs to get home. I got home and found myself and the bike covered with about 1/4" layer of ice. Scariest ride so far.

Have a set of the OEM heated grips ready to go on the FJR. Just need to find some time to get them installed.

Last December I went on a 2 hour charity ride with my Vstar. The average temp was around 22F. No heated gear, no windshield, not very much fun.
+1

Cold weather riding is a relative pleasure on the FJR. Riding the completely open Magna in 30 degree weather was not good.

33-36 degree and rain for a little under 200 miles coming back from a track day at Texas World Speedway. +2 Cee Baily, fairing side wings out, Widder vest, Fieldhseer Higland one piece with the liners, Layered clothing, winter / rain gloves, water proof boots, silk balaclava for the head. Only had to run the vest part of the time. I was a bit surprised how comfortable I stayed. I got cold but never chilled and never what I wold call uncomfortable.

I want to Hijack this thread for a sec.

Since there are a lot of "degrees" being used.

I thought you might like to know how to type in a "Degree" ( º ) emblem when needed.

"Hold Alt key,while typing "0186"(Be sure to only use the numbers on the number pad). B)

Nice one Monk. Or you could just do what I do and copy and paste the degree sign from someone else :) .

I was running around Lake Wenatchee in 30º'ish temperatures. All I know is that I had to clean ice off the bike before leaving and got a photo of the ice still on the bikes when I got back :)

Leavenworth that morning was 30; the altitude change between where I was and Leavenworth was 1000 ft, so if charts are to be believed, 24.6ºF with zero wind. Apparently the "feels like" temperature at 60 mph is around 20ºF below whatever the normal temperature is, so I'm feeling pretty good about going to Whistler this year!

All my previous motorcycles were nakeds, I like the wind and being totally involved in the experience --but-- it also meant that my riding season was basically done when the temps dropped below 40º. One of the prime reasons I upgraded to the FJR was the hope of extending my riding season with the side benefits of more comfort and carrying capacity. My FJR has been stellar in all these things :) I didn't like giving up some power, especially low end punch, but in the greater scheme of things my FJR has given me a vastly longer riding season.

Looking at the number of people riding extended lengths in some pretty frigid temps shows how versatile the FJR and other ST bikes really are. Riding the FJR in really cold weather is not about being a tough guy, if you are properly equipped you will be rewarded with an enjoyable and pleasant ride.

Nice one Monk. Or you could just do what I do and copy and paste the degree sign from someone else :) .

//////// Lake Wenatchee in 30º'ish temperatures. ////// Thx,Here's one you'll find hard to copy/paste,instead of 30ºish,try ± 3º ( ± 0177 )