Lunch at Big Bear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you gerry and dave and all you guys on this fjr forum for the fun ride to big bear!!..my friend sal on the gixxer his ok do to his body armer no injury

:clapping: Just wanted to say thanks Dave and Slappy. Had a great time and ride, the Fish and Chips was the best. Got to meet some great people I had not met before. Thats the best thing about the Forum the People.

Hope the Guy who crashed got home okay.

Thanks, Dan

FJRBluesman: A quick question, My Friend. Did someone step up and say "The fish and chips were absolutely shite, mate!"?
No, that guy wasn't around. He got wet up north.

**EDIT** I stand corrected!

.... the Fish and Chips was the best....
In fact I don't think anyone had fish & chips. When you're in the mountains, and the town looks like a mini European hamlet, and it's Oktoberfest, you don't do fish & chips, unless it's a pre-lunch snack. That would be Los Robustos style! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to thank everyone for showing up. I really enjoy meeting the people on this forum. Always a good group of folks. It was very unfortunate that we had a mishap, this is why we have paces. I am glad he made it with only a bruised ego and some roughed up plastic.

Speaking only for myself, if you bring people on these rides please understand its about the enjoyment of "the ride", the people around you and the scenery before you. Its a way to share something with others that enjoy the same thing. An open road, a beautiful day and tasty vittels at the end of the ride. Also keep in mind that you are in a group of people and are just as responsible for their safety as your own.

For future reference I am going to try to make this an annual ride. For those that can make it keep your second and third week of October open. I will talk with others to come up with new adventures with the same thing in mind, perfect weather for the group ride and a good place to eat.

Thanks again to everyone for making this a very memorable ride.

Yet another shout out to Dave and Slappy. You guys did a great job of putting the ride together. If I had to sum it up in one word, it was EPIC. The wife also had a good time and riding 2-up did not slow us up a bit.

I would like to thank everyone for showing up. I really enjoy meeting the people on this forum. Always a good group of folks. It was very unfortunate that we had a mishap, this is why we have paces. I am glad he made it with only a bruised ego and some roughed up plastic. Speaking only for myself, if you bring people on these rides please understand its about the enjoyment of "the ride", the people around you and the scenery before you. Its a way to share something with others that enjoy the same thing. An open road, a beautiful day and tasty vittels at the end of the ride. Also keep in mind that you are in a group of people and are just as responsible for their safety as your own.

For future reference I am going to try to make this an annual ride. For those that can make it keep your second and third week of October open. I will talk with others to come up with new adventures with the same thing in mind, perfect weather for the group ride and a good place to eat.

Thanks again to everyone for making this a very memorable ride.
Slappy and Dave add my thanks to all the rest.........really neat meeting up with some new folks, and I even got to talk airplanes a little..........a good time and a good lunch..........

YaKnow, it was alot of fun. BUT, it would have been nice if some how we could have know who was who by their screen names.

Everyone introduced them selfs by the real name and no mention of the screen name.

Hey I wore at T-shirt that had Dragon Rider printed across the chest, how much clearer could I be???

I knew who Johnny80 was from some of the posted pictures.

Gerry had to pointed out.

George (glosslbk08) introduced himself we had PMed each other about meeting up to ride.

I knew who Dave was because he was taking roll.

If I hadn't read "Simone Says" on this thread I never would have known that

FJRBluesman is Simone's grumpy alter ego... :eek: :lol: :lol:

One other thing... On what planet is 80 MPH on a two lane mountain road a Moderate Pace??? B)

YaKnow, it was alot of fun. BUT, it would have been nice if some how we could have know who was who by their screen names.Everyone introduced them selfs by the real name and no mention of the screen name.

Hey I wore at T-shirt that had Dragon Rider printed across the chest, how much clearer could I be???

I knew who Johnny80 was from some of the posted pictures.

Gerry had to pointed out.

George (glosslbk08) introduced himself we had PMed each other about meeting up to ride.

I knew who Dave was because he was taking roll.

If I hadn't read "Simone Says" on this thread I never would have known that

FJRBluesman is Simone's grumpy alter ego... :eek: :lol: :lol:

One other thing... On what planet is 80 MPH on a two lane mountain road a Moderate Pace??? B)
We were a little fast on the way down but I don't think we hit anything near 80mph. That would be too fast for our group. We did pull over at a rest stop for 15 minutes and saw a few FJRs go by but never saw you again.

I just have to add one more thing. That was the best "Cluster ****", (as KING RICHARD put it) of a ride I have ever been on. :****:

I hope we have more cluster fucks just like this one.

To Slappy and Dave, thanks for doing what tends to be a thankless

job - organizing one of these things. You guys are what make groups

and group rides really fun.

YaKnow, it was alot of fun. BUT, it would have been nice if some how we could have know who was who by their screen names. Everyone introduced

them selfs by the real name and no mention of the screen name.

One other thing... On what planet is 80 MPH on a two lane mountain road a

Moderate Pace??? B)
Dragon has a point on the name thing. I recognize screen names but

real names are nutty especially for us newer members. I knew a few,

learned a few and met some great folks but it would be nice for some

kind of name tag or something to associate aliases, names, and faces.

I also learnd what it is to be a newbie, I thougt I was a pretty good rider

going up with the tail end "relaxed pace" riders. On the way down with

the smaller group (11 or so) along highway 18 I learned that just because

the guy in front riding two up can hang, don't mean you (Me) can too.

I almost dropped out of the group a couple of times as I was nearly at

my comfort limit. Dont know what the speed was cause I was too busy

looking at the road and the bike in front but from my limited perspective

we were smoking except when in traffic.

Still, it was a damn fine day and loads of fun, I will definitely mark my

the calendar for next year.

Gotta go and wipe off the big assed grin from my face...it's still there.

Slappy & Dave,

As for next year's Big Bear Lunch Ride... I think it would be outstanding again to break up the 'mob' into four groups. It seems that a few riders were semi-forced into riding past their comfort zones. It's understandable since not every rider is at the same skill level, or who has the desire to break all of the posted speed limits. Maybe the groups should be broken into these four groups: Fast, moderate, moderate, and slow. For this, I volunteer to lead the slow group and promise to keep it slow for the comfort of those who want this pace. It's no big deal to me as I rode with the fast group this year and didn't get to see any of the scenery.

So, for next year, remember me to be a leader for the slow group. This will dictate a pace of the posted speed limits plus maybe a few mph over here & there.

We had a great time last year, this year, and will again next year.

Thank you,

George & Kitty

Maybe we should have more groups and not just fast moderate and slow.

I know we had called our group fast, moderate, moderate and slow but I think our groups in reality were Really Fast, Fast, Fast and Slow (Speed Limit). I was in the slow group and they were slow doing the speed limit most of the time. Can't say how the other groups were. Coldcut, Manwhore and myself went a lot faster going down the hill than we did going up.

I was trying to make sure everyone had the ability to ride within their limits. I personally love to ride on the edge of the traction of the tires, however for events I wanted to be sure those that didnt like a spirited pace had a group that made the ride enjoyable. I tried to keep the last group right around the speed limit or just 5 over where possible. The fast group was ment to be for those that wanted to rid their hoops of any chicken strips. The middle two groups was ment to have a spirited ride but stay well within the limits of the FJR. That is why I chose the group leaders that I did. I know Dan loves to push his machine but traffic didnt cooperate. Ed and Dave enjoy a moderate pace but ride well within the limits of the bike. Having DJBills wife with us last year and riding at a slightly faster pace she made the comment of removing a little chrome from her pipes. I didnt want to have that same situation this year and that is why I rode so slow this year. Just to keep my speeds down I rode using only my throttle hand even in the turns. If I have control in a turn with one hand anyone will have control with two hands. Plus my group had most of the Pillions and I was sure to look out for their safety. Testerone is a nasty thing and some boys dont always know how to keep it under control.

Gloss, if you would like to take a group out, I know I would feel better if you joined us for other rides during the year and lead a couple of those rides. Its a very different experience up there.

absolutely,faster guys in front and all that means is it will be clear sailing for all the rest,one giant group.sons of anarchy rule.

Gloss, if you would like to take a group out, I know I would feel better if you joined us for other rides during the year and lead a couple of those rides. Its a very different experience up there.
I understand. I have led a few small group rides and it does keep you thinking and an eye in the mirror. Since I know the Big Bear route w/ rest stops and the restaurant, it would be a bit easier for me.

Me volunteering to lead your 'slow' group was just an idea to help the cause. I figured that I'd do it since it would be the least wanted duty. This would leave your more experienced leaders free to do the moderate groups.

Maybe next year when Dave is taking pre-lunch orders, he can have each rider pre-choose which group they want to be in. Break the group choices into categories of experience, desired speed, etc. That might save some time and help each rider get into the group they require. I don't know. Everyone seems to have a different opinion of what "moderate" means. We have to be a bit more specific to please everyone.

This lunch ride has grown to be so big, safety issues need to be mandatory. Nothing ruins a ride like someone getting injured. I know none of us want that.

Slappy & Dave did a wonderful job. We all thank you. But we need to listen to the riders who voiced their issues with valid concerns. The problem is that this ride is growing in popularity and it will become even bigger. We don't want a mob racing up the mountain putting pressure on the riders who are out of their comfort zones. Let the slower riders enjoy the ride, the scenery, and the experience of being with a large group of great people. It gets better every year, so let's make next year even better.

As Slappy mentioned, it's more of a social event than just a ride.