Magnum Blasters Without Relay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was Mr. Spinny Head, IIRC. By the way, where the hell is he, anyway?
I have been wondering the same thing. This frightens, and disturbs me.
We've recently exchanged emails; he's fine, just bumming a little that he couldn't make WFO this weekend....

OK, you're all right. This horse is long dead. Sorry for trying, I'll be more cautious next time. I agree reading over my posts that I came off a bit stuffy. I just wanted to help - but I don't think the slams were necessary. And I can't figure out that when I agreed with some of you, you were still compelled to argue it further. Or even better, claim that the thread is a waste of time yet still take some time to post.

I have always stated that I was concerned about performance and was not convinced this would provide it. I have always said that I didn't give a rats-ass about spending $30. I bought the horns in an effort to build my safety margin, why would I do it half ass?. And yes, I make decisions based on analysis. I appreciate for the sake of our safety that other engineers around the world do, too. Superfluous hardware may not be good if it is unnecessary and actually adds additional failure points.

Anyway, my white flag is up, I'm done.

-BD

Ok, enginequeers, how do I install this Mega-Horn?
BULD.jpg

:D
I'd have to say....stick it between your legs and squeeze. :haha:

Thanks, guys. I needed a really good belly laugh!

Oh, Thug? I think that's a self portrait. Don't ask me how I know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Don's wearing one of those in TWN's avatar. It's what's making his eyes do that. Aunt Bea strapped it on too tight. :bigeyes:
Damn. Now, I'm just grossing myself out.

Sorry 'bout that, people. Move along, nothing to see...

ANTGVI'm starting to worry what site you venture too? :eek:
You'd be surpised what you can find with Google :eek:

Besides, the more I hang out here, the more warped I get
random007.gif

I think it's Don's hypnotic eyes....

Other casesI want to maintain the stock horns for cases where I just want to call attention to a fellow rider, or to signal a cager that I want to move in front of them at a light, or for other situations in which the use of a loud horn is not necessary; But want to also be able to use the blasters by default in case of a left turning moron, or to let the wife know that we really have to go NOW. Using a relay and a toggle switch, I can install the blasters without sacrificing the stock horns.
I bought 2 sets of blasters and installed the first set in my Maxim, which was a priority because the the old rusty horns on it barely squeaked and my daughter has started riding it. I used 12 gauge and a Radio Shack relay. works well but I wasn't as impressed by the volume as some here have indicated.

So, I am thinking about leaving the original horns in the FJR and adding the blasters. I'm guessing that the four different horns added together will give a pretty good blast. I will use a relay and plan on powering the relay with a jumper from one of the existing horns. The biggest problem will be finding a place to fit the blasters. I probably won't get to this for another month or so.

Joe Strbik is the importer of Stebel horns, including the Magnum Blasters and Nautilus. Here are his comments on this thread:

For your edification, a set of Magnums draws 11 amps, a single draws 5.6 amps. A standard switch will generally carry up 10 amps, a heavy duty switch 15 amps, consequently a relay would not be required with the switch handling the completed circuit.

The Nautilus draws a start up amperage of 18 amps, consequently I always include a relay with the Nautilus horns. Over time the heavy duty horn switch would fail if the relay were not in the system.

You will never go wrong by using a relay, but it is not always necessary.

Joe Strbik

Sound Engineering Consultants

dobias

Geezer,

I have both Magnum Blasters and the compact version of the Nautilus on my FJR. More than the obvious doubling of sound power, the noticeable change is the Amtrak sound I get....a real wake up call for the cell phone crowd.

Save the space & remove the old horns. With age & noise abuse we tend to be less able to note the volume change. BTDT. <_<

dobias

Joe Strbik is the importer of Stebel horns, including the Magnum Blasters and Nautilus. Here are his comments on this thread:

For your edification, a set of Magnums draws 11 amps, a single draws 5.6 amps.  A standard switch will generally carry up 10 amps, a heavy duty switch 15 amps, consequently a relay would not be required with the switch handling the completed  circuit.

The Nautilus draws a start up amperage of 18 amps, consequently I always include a relay with the Nautilus horns.  Over time the heavy duty horn switch would fail if the relay were not in the system.

You will never go wrong by using a relay, but it is not always necessary.

Joe Strbik

Sound Engineering Consultants

dobias
FWIW, I did my own test and got 7 amps each.

Also, Joe mentions the "switch" or heavy duty switch. It sounds to me like he's referring to an aftermarket switch either way. A heavy duty switch rated at 15 amps or above would be no problem if you don't use a relay. It can easily be done.

Oh and one more thing........you guys are FREAKIN' BRUTAL with those pics!!! :D

Too funny!

I used 12 gauge and a Radio Shack relay
I can't seem to find a good place to mount my 12 gauge to the bike, even with the pistol grip and short barrel. On the handlebars compromises handling and atop the side bags gets in Brenda's way, not to mention the relay? Now, I really think a relay would not be necessary with a 12 gauge, unless you mean handing it off to the passenger so you could focus on driving while they do the blasting. ;)

A heavy duty switch rated at 15 amps or above would be no problem if you don't use a relay
But if you use a relay, you are, in essence, getting a heavy duty switch rated at 30 amps. Sounds like a no-brainer.

If I wanted to mount an electric chain gun to fire when the horn goes off, should I use a relay in the horn circuit? :D