Massive Motorcycle Crash; North Phoenix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... the driver with under the influence of Meth when he failed to stop and ran into several motorcyclist and four automobiles.
Hopefully, he'll get 30 years for each count, although it won't bring any of the victims back.

How sad to hear that. I'm with you on the 30 years per count. Accidents happen but you don't need to be an accident waiting to happen. What a shame that this meth-head killed these innocent people.

May God be with the families as they go forward and reconcile with this fact.

Brian

It was just announced that the driver of the Dump Truck that plowed into 9 motorcycles in Phoenix, AZ has been arrested and is being charged with four counts of manslaughter. It was confirmed the driver with under the influence of Meth when he failed to stop and ran into several motorcyclist and four automobiles.
Hopefully, he'll get 30 years for each count, although it won't bring any of the victims back.
Beyond words.

Wow...I read this as it unfolded, and kept trying to keep in mind that it might have just been a regular old accident, where the driver was distracted for the wrong 1.5 seconds. Kept trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, and not blame him.

The fact that he was actually charged means there was enough evidence to support the idea that it wasn't just the 'wrong 1.5 seconds' and was in fact negligent. Hmm...

It was confirmed the driver with under the influence of Meth when he failed to stop and ran into several motorcyclist and four automobiles.
Un-F'ing-Believable!!! :angry2:

Raodracing World is report from a press release by the AMA that the drive was under the influence of Meth and has been arrested and charged.

Clicky

I watched those videos and read about those nice people and just want to beat the tar out of that truck driver. No penalty of law can make this up.

With any luck word will get around where they are keeping him and the resident bikers will have a little chat with him. :rolleyes:

Just a brief note: I contacted my Phoenix Fire Department friends and Fire Captain Ernie Lizarraga is still in critical condition. There was an M/C Awareness Ride yesterday here in The East Valley.

Motorcyclists gather in Mesa

to raise awareness

by Jim Walsh - May. 23, 2010 01:54 PM

The Arizona Republic

Their hearts swelled with sorrow, about 350

motorcyclists clad in yellow and orange

thundered away from Mesa Riverview mall

Sunday morning on a mission to promote

safety in the wake of a tragedy.

The "Can You See Me Now" ride did more

than honor the four motorcyclists killed on

March 25 when they were run over while

waiting at a stop light in north Phoenix by

dump truck driven by a man accused of

driving under the influence of

methamphetamine.

The ride's goal was to eliminate future

tragedies by urging car and truck drivers to

avoid distractions, such as talking on cell

phones or texting, and to look out for

motorcyclists.

The event quickly struck a nerve by focusing

on a chronic visibility problem that

motorcyclists say has only worsened as cell

phones and texting became commonplace.

Within a month, it turned into a national and

international event, with motorcycle groups

in 45 U.S. cities and several foreign

countries as far away as Australia

participating.

"Long overdue, this day, this event," said

Tamie DeLoach, a motorcycle rider from

Glendale. "People are so caught up in their

little world. They get tunnel vision. It's so

selfish."

Paul Totonchi, founder of the Phoenix M.C.

Kruzers motorcycle group, lost his wife,

Dayle Veronica Downs-Totonchi, 47, in the

gruesome wreck at 27th Avenue and

Carefree Highway. Also killed were Clyde R.

Nachand, 67; Stephen Punch, 52; and Daniel

L. Butler, 35.

"We just want people to notice we are out on

the road," Totonchi said. "The main message

is don't get distracted, just drive."

John Fox, founder of the Phoenix Motorcycle

Riders, said 38 percent of motorcycle

fatalities are caused by drivers of cars and

trucks making left turns and hitting

motorcycles.

Detective James Holmes, a Phoenix police

spokesman, applauded the ride, saying its

part of the healing process for motorcyclists

who want to do something constructive after

such a horrific event.

"This is a truck rolling over bikes like

bowling pins," he said. "They never knew it

was coming."

Holmes said most drivers they tend not to

see motorcycles or bicycles because they

are in the habit of watching out for other

cars.

While drivers should make an extra effort to

look out for motorcyclists, the motorcyclists

also should exercise extra caution looking

out for cars, he said.

Michael Jakscht, 46, of Scottsdale, the dump

truck driver in the gruesome collision,

remains at Maricopa County's Fourth

Avenue Jail where he awaits trial on four

counts of manslaughter, five counts of

aggravated assault and seven counts of

endangerment.

A motion for Jakscht's release was withdrawn

by his attorney Thursday and he is

scheduled to appear at a pretrial conference

June 3 before Superior Court Commissioner

James Rummage.

On Sunday, the motorcycle riders made a

120-mile loop around Valley freeways that

ended at Greasewood Flat, a restaurant in

north Scottsdale.

Jim Morin of Mesa, who organized the event,

said the turnout was better than expected.

He said a handful of drivers along the route

made a "thumbs up" or "hang loose" gesture

to show their support.

Excellent Work Firefighters!

On May 2, 2010, Phoenix firefighters organized a pancake breakfast, motorcycle ride and barbecue to benefit injured Phoenix firefighter Ernie Lizarraga. The event was extremely successful. Approximately 800 people attended the ride and another 300 went to the after party. The day's activities raised more than $38,000 for the Lizarraga family.

On March 25, Ernie and several other motorcyclists were involved in a horrific accident. A driver literally ran over eight motorcycles while they were stopped at an intersection. The collision killed four motorcyclists and seriously injured five others.

Ernie is still recovering from his injuries.

I take back half of what I said. People willing to put others in harms way for their own selfish pleasures need to be separated out in direct proportion to the havoc they cause. This man should never be on our side of the fence again.

Good on all those helping the familes and survivors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Greg, I know! It just made me sick to my stomach to hear about this today! I was working out at the gym when a retired LEO friend of mine told me about it.

Unbelievable, just truly unbelievable! Disgusting result to what should have been a slam dunk conviction of that dirty rotten evil bastard! May he rot in Hell Forever!

I read an article recently on how carefully some defense lawyers will screen prospective jurors during voir dire, looking for weak-willed, wishy-washy people with no strong opinions about anything. The kind of people, like the assholes on this jury, who just couldn't bring themselves to convict the guy for "just an accident." Damn, move it to Sacramento. I'll be foreman!

It is even possible that diet pills are mistaken in blood analysis for methamphetamine? Sounds like prosecution didn't do their job.

It said 9-3 vote in favor of acquital...before the mistrial was declared.
Hard to believe that after hearing the arguments that many jurors were not convinced he was at fault. I would love to hear the prosecution/defense arguments on this one.

It said 9-3 vote in favor of acquital...before the mistrial was declared.
Hard to believe that after hearing the arguments that many jurors were not convinced he was at fault. I would love to hear the prosecution/defense arguments on this one.
SacramentoMike Quote: I read an article recently on how carefully some defense lawyers will screen prospective jurors during voir dire, looking for weak-willed, wishy-washy people with no strong opinions about anything. The kind of people, like the assholes on this jury, who just couldn't bring themselves to convict the guy for "just an accident."

Mark, Tom and Greg: My LEO Friend Dale, a retired Deputy Sheriff, said what SacramentoMike stated virtually word for word! Another item that was pointed out by Dale is that some juries are infamous for not fully listening to the Juror's Instructions that are read to them; and that they have a copy of in the Jury Deliberation Room. Basically, some weak willed and wishy-washy jurors make wildly far reaching decisions, totally outside of the purview that the Juror Instructions allow them legally to do! Fecking Jackoffs!