Mature Riders and FJR's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just when you thought this thread was finally gone...

I meant to respond earlier but was away to San Diego for several weeks and while there sustained an injury which will keep me off the FJR a couple of more weeks, so here I am at the computer instead of out riding.

Expectations were to see more motorcyclists enjoying the nearly always splendid weather of Southern California. I never saw more than about a dozen in a typical hundred mile outing; usually more like a half dozen. Here in rural east central Oklahoma an equivalent outing will net a count of about forty bikes on the road. It would appear we have higher percentage of motorcycles per capita here in the sticks than the great megalopolis of Southern California. Here cruisers make up about 90% of sightings, in California it seemed to be about 50%. California riders seemed to be much better about protective gear and gave the impression generally of being more experienced. It must be the traffic keeping the two wheeled herd lean and mean. Fast I don't mind. Add in the density and the tailgaters and it gets more interesting and less acceptable. But what really scares me is the percentage of people in fast, dense, traffic who are incredibly inattentive. I actually saw a woman in moving traffic on I-5 driving her SUV while talking on her cell phone and reading her daytimer spread out on the steering wheel! I doff my hat (helmet?) to those of you who ride in this environment. You are a brave and accomplished bunch.

On to topic. I'm 54. At age 13 my first motorcycle was a Yamaha Twin-Jet 100. In between it and the FJR were a Honda CB450, '48 Indian Chief Bonneville 80, a Honda CB750, a Harley XLCH, and Honda GL1000. I'm tinkering with the idea of naming my FJR "Omega" since a Yamaha was my first and presumably last motorcycle, and anyone who's ridden an FJR will appreciate that many of us feel it is the beginning and the end, the alpha and omega, of motorcycles, amen.

35yrs old here, bought my 05FJR last year and it was my first motorcycle. Very happy with it and I plan to keep this baby a long time!

59 here and the 07 FJR is my first bike. BTW don't concider the FJR to be expensive in US, I live in Denmark/Scandinavia and the price here is equal to $50,000, - we pay for 3½ MC but only get 1.

Ole

A mere 60 and my '06 FJR is bike #77, (second FJR, too...) bought #79 a coupla weeks back. FJR is the best bike I've ever had, IMhO! DFO

39 years old here and my FJR is a beautiful Aggie maroon '07 A. I love this bike and look forward to taking some long rides on it - I expect it will be a darn site more confortable than my FZ1. :D

38 here. Prefer talking to and riding with "like minded" people regardless of age/gender. My previous riding group back in CA was primarily "geezers" and I loved it. ;-P

I'll also join the "I wanna be like TurboDave when I grow up" fan club.

59 here and the 07 FJR is my first bike. BTW don't concider the FJR to be expensive in US, I live in Denmark/Scandinavia and the price here is equal to $50,000, - we pay for 3½ MC but only get 1.
Ole
Oh, the benefits of a "planned economy"!

Is the beer free?

LC

60 going on 20, 2005FJR with two son's who keep me young!

Picture067.jpg

john

I purchased an '06 FJR instead of an '06 Gold Wing when Honda started forcing people to buy heated seat and grips and an over-priced, under-featured GPS before you can purchase ABS brakes..........they are still doing it with the '08 models. I just hope the engine on the FJR will last as long as my '01 Wing which now has over 315K miles on the odometer............without any engine work ! I'm approaching geezer status at 75.

Dick Meyer

Hi

I am 56 and been ridiing for 40 years I have had a few VFR's and really like my 03 , serial number 0002 hope I will be riding for another 40 years ...I can only wish

Just turned 55, still not sure what I'll be IF I grow up. But until I do the FJR keeps me sharp and in shape, though some could debate both. I just love the power, the weight and the stability of this platform.

61 and enjoying a great FJRride after many lesser bikes(that cost less). Quote: " If you are not a liberal when you are young you don't have any spunk: and if you are not a conservative when you get older you do not have any brains"

csr