Maybe the FJR ain't God's gift to motorcycles after all

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sold my Royal star tour classic and my 05 fz6 to get my 05 fjr. I have had it 10 days and am over 50. this is my first post. and this is not a bitch. I love this bike and so does my wife. so that makes this 1 post 1 pos comment from an old fart over 50. There I think that covers it. lol :p
I just sold my Royal star tour classic and my 05 fz6 to get my 05 fjr. I have had it 10 days and am over 50. this is my first post. and this is not a bitch. I love this bike and so does my wife. so that makes this 1 post 1 pos comment from an old fart over 50. There I think that covers it. lol :p
Actually, you're 2 for 2, since you repeated yourself! :lol:

Hey you forgot us oringinal pioneers in the US, the '03 owners. Proud and the best all around motorcycle I have ever owned. Is it perfect? No. Is there anything else close to performance and price? Hell no. Even though I had to fix my ticker I still love it to death. And she treats me better than my X-wife. Plus I thinks the people that appreciate what the FJR has to offer bought early and some even often and realize what a gread machine this is. The lurkers and laggers seem to whine the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 06 AE is stock except the grip puppies and the frame sliders and I love it...my 2002 Fatboy is not worth comparing.

I can not criticise those that look for improvements and I would like to compare the stock windshield against the Calsci or my seat against a Corbin if I had the chance....stock anything is made for the average individual that is 5'10" and 175 lbs. If everyone was happy with stock...there would be no accessories available for a custom fit.

AJ

Lots of people just like to work on their creative writing skills with lots of embelishments on what for the most part are very minor problems. My own writing skills have improved tremendously since I've been hanging around :good: Now if we could only get spell check... :lol:

Hmmm. Let's see, I've frequented three Goldwing, two VFR, a couple of ST1300, three FJR,sport touring, and a Texas-oriented forums over the last couple of years. Each site has a disproportionate share of "complaints, whines, bitches," whatever you want to call them, compared to "my bike is the greatest," sorts of comments. It's not, absolutely NOT, confined to this site.

Lots of people with problems come to the sites to get answers to something that they don't know how to remedy. That's not bitching, in my view.

Others find that their bike is a machine, with some machine faults, and focus on those faults, and really DO whine and complain. But look closely, at any forum, and you'll decide, I think, that a very, very tiny minority think they got ripped, that their bike is poop. Realize most bike owners don't even LOOK at stuff like these forums.

My extremely limited use of my bike has been enhanced by Fred H's bent wire trick, the famous spring release extravaganza, grip puppies, and lots of excellent help getting my electronics wired and fired up. This forum is the best I've seen for those sorts of ideas.

Yeah, my shield makes a lot of noise around my helmet, there's more drivetrain lash than I'd like, just yesterday I posted my surprise at the buzziness, which generated a flock of squawking, I'll probably buy an aftermarket shield and seat, but those aren't whines or bitches, at least not in my book. Those are "characteristics of the machine."

There's not too much whining, nor is the FJR not God's gift to bikers...nor IS it God's gift to bikers. It's a very good motorcycle.

Tony O said it best, when I picked up my bike, and we were chatting about all the alleged faults batted around here: "yeah, some guys want to ride their keyboards instead of their bikes."

Yet another reason to trade at his dealership.

Tony O said it best, when I picked up my bike, and we were chatting about all the alleged faults batted around here: "yeah, some guys want to ride their keyboards instead of their bikes."
Yet another reason to trade at his dealership.
+1 x 10E15

Seems to me like there are more folks bitchin about folks bitchin, than there are actual folks bitchin.

just to set the record straight - NOT ALL OF US ARE BITCHING..
If you pay attention, you will notice that when someone does bitch, there is a who slew of replies to the contrary.

My '05 FJR is the best all-around motorcycle I have ever owned..
Yes, your right. But you can't vote! :nono: He is talking about the 06 owners. :ranting2: You are an 05 owner. :hypocritesmiley:

You got one of the good ones! :yahoo:

Now if we didn't bitch, what would mamayama think - we've done it, perfection? You know the Japanese and the role of perfection in their culture. If mamayama thought they'd achieved perfection with the FJR, who knows: No need for further improvements? Stop making them altogether to maintain perfection? Jack the price up to rival a BMW?
I like mine. And I bitch because it could be better. Maybe when I'm ready to trade this one in the things we bitch about here might be improved. I can only hope. Not to mention that my wife won't listen to me bitch so I have to do it somewhere... :lol:

As you said above mamayama is listening. Take a look at what complaining got this 06 owner.
whacky039.gif

Well -- you can all blame yourselves for the bitchin'!
See -- the more you read about buzzing, ticking, and how the freakin' sidestand don't work -- the more you go out and ride -- then say "hey -- those panty wastes were RIGHT -- the bars DO buzz! never noticed before -- glad they pointed it out" or whatever.

You have sewn the seeds of the bitch plant, and now it's growing. :(

Hey -- I also found a solution to those who read about ticking, and now notice it at idle. Just have the dealership replace your clicking fuel injector solinoids with carbs.. ticking at idle gone.

BTW -- mine? glad you asked....

Throttle works fine, doesn't hurt my limp little wrists. :insertedgayasssmilie:)

No surging, no barbarian mod, no off-idle stalling, no issues with the kick-stand.

Doesn't whistle, MPG works fine, diff splines were lubed properly by the factory, oil drain didn't strip, steering bearings properly lubed and torqued by the factory. Mirror's move, but less than any other bike i've owned. SO WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO START IT UP??? :D

all-in-all? damned good motorcycle so far. :yahoo:

Clark Kent said:
just to set the record straight - NOT ALL OF US ARE BITCHING..

If you pay attention, you will notice that when someone does bitch, there is a who slew of replies to the contrary.

My '05 FJR is the best all-around motorcycle I have ever owned..
Yes, your right. But you can't vote! :nono: He is talking about the 06 owners. :ranting2: You are an 05 owner. :hypocritesmiley:

You got one of the good ones! :yahoo:

Now if we didn't bitch, what would mamayama think - we've done it, perfection? You know the Japanese and the role of perfection in their culture. If mamayama thought they'd achieved perfection with the FJR, who knows: No need for further improvements? Stop making them altogether to maintain perfection? Jack the price up to rival a BMW?
I like mine. And I bitch because it could be better. Maybe when I'm ready to trade this one in the things we bitch about here might be improved. I can only hope. Not to mention that my wife won't listen to me bitch so I have to do it somewhere... :lol:

As you said above mamayama is listening. Take a look at what complaining got this 06 owner!
whacky039.gif

Well -- you can all blame yourselves for the bitchin'!
See -- the more you read about buzzing, ticking, and how the freakin' sidestand don't work -- the more you go out and ride -- then say "hey -- those panty wastes were RIGHT -- the bars DO buzz! never noticed before -- glad they pointed it out" or whatever.

You have sewn the seeds of the bitch plant, and now it's growing. :(

Hey -- I also found a solution to those who read about ticking, and now notice it at idle. Just have the dealership replace your clicking fuel injector solinoids with carbs.. ticking at idle gone.

BTW -- mine? glad you asked....

Throttle works fine, doesn't hurt my limp little wrists. :insertedgayasssmilie:)

No surging, no barbarian mod, no off-idle stalling, no issues with the kick-stand.

Doesn't whistle, MPG works fine, diff splines were lubed properly by the factory, oil drain didn't strip, steering bearings properly lubed and torqued by the factory. Mirror's move, but less than any other bike i've owned.

all-in-all? damned good motorcycle so far. :yahoo:
SO WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO START IT UP?? :D

Wow! This is GREAT!!! :yahoo:
If there wasn't anyone bitchin', I wouldn't learn anything! Every man's bitch is another man's (or woman's) farkle!!!! <-- That is a great line! :D Yep, made it up myself!!! :clapping:

Oh, my bitch: There is too much Cobalt in my Cobalt Blue...
My 06 is great. I bought an 06 HD Street Rod. After 9000 miles and 2 engines in 6 months HD bought it back from me for full purchase price (to beat the lemon law). Compared to the HD the 06 FJR is beyond perfect. I've had it almost 3 months and have 6000 miles, what a great bike :rolleyes: . Yes the bars buzz a little around 80 to 90 MPH and the trans clunks if I don't shift right. My HD shook parts off at 85 MPH, not sure why the mags liked it, maybe because it looks cool. It's OK to complain but we do have to appreciate we have one of the best bikes on the planet. The FJR is my 7th Yammi and they make a great bike.

IMHO --

Damn! I love my '06, zits and all.

Too many people posting too many nits about the zits on this bike.

I was busy riding the damn thing for a hundred miles (60 on a new twisty road I found through the hills) and enjoying the snot out of it while people are whining about something or whining about the whining. Getting tired of it.

I want to hear more tangible stuff like Twowheelnuts post today about his close call with the beemer, or new farkle ideas like screening in the vent holes next to the headlights (sorry, I don't remember who to give credit to on that one).

Well flame me.

But I rode around a corner a couple hours ago and saw a black bear cub in the road and we watched each other for a few seconds until she ran up the hill (Amazing!). I sat there and mentally I thanked TWN for reminding me to take blind corners a little slower, thanked Yamaha for my ABS breaks that ROCK, and the great experience of riding a wonderful bike that goes and stops where I want when I want...and gives me the chance to get the frig out before mama bear showed up.

My advice -- go ride the damn thing and make some memories like that.

And the bunch of whiners who complain about the little stuff, you need to get on the bike and use it. (and notice many don't offer solutions; and for those that have, this isn't a message for you)

I feel better now.

Good Evening,

Trial & Error Elimination:

Different possible configurations are generated, after a test of their "fitness", the good ones are retained, the bad ones or "errors" are eliminated.

The fact that successful steps are retained leads to an irreversible accumulation, a "ratchet effect" which only allows movement in a particular general direction, without going back. (Improvement).

Take the Columbia Space Shuttle for example. The loss of temperature sensors of the left wing, loss of tire pressure indications on the left main gear and the indications of excessive structural heating. The foam heat shield that came off at lift off. There were "numerous compaints" about this months before the liftoff. Still having issues on the adhesive for the tiles.

2006 Buell XB12X, recalled on 7-7-06,

Defect Summary: Certain motorcycles may have been built with two issues that could compromise the sidestand's performance. Either the pivot bolt for the sidestand leg or the mounting bracket bolts could break, possible without notice.

Consequence Summary: If either of these failures occurs, the motorcycle could fall, possibly causing death or injury. This one seems to hit close to home.

Whats new on the FJR?

To answer the only serious owner compaint leveled at the FJR, that of excessive engine heat cooking it's riders. Yamaha engineered a complex set of air-management changes... We all know about the improvements here.

ABS brakes standard for 06. Adjustable handlebars, Adjustable seat.

Passenger accomodations have been improved with rear foot pegs repositioned 40mm forward, 20mm lower & 28mm further apart for more leg room.

A small thing, perhaps, but noticeable is that the FJR's handgrips are too smooth & slick, making the throttle position hard to hold. Grip puppies are an easy fix here.

Source: August 2006 Motorcycle Consumer News

These are all but examples of information exchanged in forums just like this one. Nothing to get upset

about.

Here's your option.

wood_bike.jpg

bob

Ditto! I own an '06 FJR. My Sunday morning group is mostly HDs, with one old K bike and an '05 FJR. Conversation at the restaurant after two hours of riding: HD drivers complain that not all the signed intersections had warning signs telling them a stop was coming up (could it be they have shit for brakes?) Two HD drivers tell me they are afraid to drive on the interstate because it's fast and they aren't comfortable being right next to those big trucks. I smile because I own whatever road I'm on--anywhere, anytime. That doesn't mean I'm a speed maniac. It means I am more maneuverable than anything else on the road. Speed or brakes are there when I need them.

You folks in the East are now getting the high pressure system we've had for the last week in the midwest. I drove in 95-100 degree temps all week. No significant heat felt from the FJR. Rode very comfortably in a mesh Cor-Tech jacket and Shoei X-11 helmet with great ventilation (that's what you don't get with the HJC). I could leave the windshield down because the Shoei doesn't make you feel like you're kissing a brick wall at 80 mph. The stock seat is great even for my fat ass, but I haven't put a 300+ day in yet.

Yeah, I have a CalSci windshield on order. If I need a better seat, I'll buy one. I have no intention of screwing with my throttle or FI settings until I have thousands of miles on this bike, if then. I'm toying with buying the MC Cruise Control. Yeah, its a lot of money, but the FJR is still $5-$7,000 less than the R1200RT comparably equipped.

I am deeply indebted to the MINORITY of posters on this forum and other FJR sites that provide useful information on the bike and useful modifications. In my opinion they are outnumbered by the whiners. Please folks, before you give into that temptation to verbalize every fleeting thought about your bike, search for previous threads on your topic of interest. If that does not answer your question, ask yourself: is the information in my post useful to someone else on this forum? Am I just venting? Will I look/sound stupid if I talk about this (its OK to be stupid if its about a REAL technical issue)? Am I just bragging about my latest farkle (and if you are, did you explain how you installed it and what problems/solutions you came up with in the process)? In other words, are you being an asset to this forum, or just an ass.

Respectfully submitted by a grateful lurker and infrequent poster.

IMHO --
Damn! I love my '06, zits and all.

Too many people posting too many nits about the zits on this bike.

I was busy riding the damn thing for a hundred miles (60 on a new twisty road I found through the hills) and enjoying the snot out of it while people are whining about something or whining about the whining. Getting tired of it.

I want to hear more tangible stuff like Twowheelnuts post today about his close call with the beemer, or new farkle ideas like screening in the vent holes next to the headlights (sorry, I don't remember who to give credit to on that one).

Well flame me.

But I rode around a corner a couple hours ago and saw a black bear cub in the road and we watched each other for a few seconds until she ran up the hill (Amazing!). I sat there and mentally I thanked TWN for reminding me to take blind corners a little slower, thanked Yamaha for my ABS breaks that ROCK, and the great experience of riding a wonderful bike that goes and stops where I want when I want...and gives me the chance to get the frig out before mama bear showed up.

My advice -- go ride the damn thing and make some memories like that.

And the bunch of whiners who complain about the little stuff, you need to get on the bike and use it. (and notice many don't offer solutions; and for those that have, this isn't a message for you)

I feel better now.