Meet & Eat, Sat., 04/12/08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking full advantage of the 70-ish temps this Saturday, and have decided on heading out towards the desert to do a bit of riding.

If anyone's interested, let's get together for lunch at about 1:00 PM at the Oasis Resort & Cafe on the Deschutes River in Maupin, Oregon. The Oasis Resort & Cafe

There's some great riding into and out of Maupin which - combined with sunny skies and temps in the low- to mid-70s, should make for an awesome Spring ride!

Let me know if you're interested and I'll post up a few after-lunch ride ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea - I'm in. Some good back roads in that area - plus not likely to get rain - perfect. :D

I'll have to get an early start Sat morning - but should be doable. I'll try and goad a V-Strom buddy to go as well - the more the merrier!

Great idea - I'm in. Some good back roads in that area - plus not likely to get rain - perfect. :D
I'll have to get an early start Sat morning - but should be doable. I'll try and goad a V-Strom buddy to go as well - the more the merrier!
Excellent! As soon as I get this bucket of emails finished this evening, I'm going to get started on a couple of route maps. See you Saturday!

Marty,

Would love to join you, but I have another commitment on Saturday. I have this Friday off and plan going to the Tri-Cities area in Washington to get some dam tour check points.

Lori

BKR CHK

Whoaaa... Lets see, ride to the Coast with another guy (V-Strom)and 4 good looking, gal riders (misc cruisers) or ride to Maupin with Marty and some other guys. This is going to take some deep consideration and contemplation. OK, I know what to do!

Whoaaa... Lets see, ride to the Coast with another guy (V-Strom)and 4 good looking, gal riders (misc cruisers) or ride to Maupin with Marty and some other guys. This is going to take some deep consideration and contemplation. OK, I know what to do!
Soooooo.... you're going with us, right?? ;) Thought seriously about heading to the coast Saturday, but after the ride out there on our last nice day, I figured I'd head in the oppostie direction of traffic this time! B)

Dang, I'd like to attend, but am going to head the other way to pick up some more Dams and Rose City GT points. Couldn't pass up the chance to do some miles while the weather is good.

Route:

Route.jpg

Would love to join you, but I have another commitment on Saturday. I have this Friday off and plan going to the Tri-Cities area in Washington to get some dam tour check points.

Dang, I'd like to attend, but am going to head the other way to pick up some more Dams and Rose City GT points. Couldn't pass up the chance to do some miles while the weather is good.
You folks and your damn dams! I thought you would have bagged them all by now..! ;)

I'm seriously considering this as well. Nice 600+ mile day to get the winter cobwebs out.

Anyone besides BFehkler from the Seattle area want to make a day of it? I figure a 6:30 - 7:00 start will work for a noon time arrival. Looking at routes, I-90 to 97 south on the trip over and then some back roads to Portland and a I-5 blast back north...

--G

...Anyone besides BFehkler from the Seattle area want to make a day of it? I figure a 6:30 - 7:00 start will work for a noon time arrival. Looking at routes, I-90 to 97 south on the trip over and then some back roads to Portland and a I-5 blast back north...

--G
I'm thinking the same route and departure time. Though once there will do some local riding, overnight in Hood River and ride back on Sunday via the Volcano route.

I want to know more about Ralph's ride with the four ladies...

Marty, I think I'm going to dust the cobwebs off this weekend, but we've got a commitment Saturday evening that a 1 pm won't get me back in time for...maybe...let me do some tinkering with my schedule.

I might do that. I was thinking of riding down to the coast, but every blue hair around will be going down and it would be a very slow ride. What time were you thinking of leaving, and which route are you going to take?

I want to know more about Ralph's ride with the four ladies...
Marty, I think I'm going to dust the cobwebs off this weekend, but we've got a commitment Saturday evening that a 1 pm won't get me back in time for...maybe...let me do some tinkering with my schedule.
Would it help it we pulled the meet-up time in by an hour or so..? Say, lunch @ 12:00? I'd be great to have you out there!

I'm seriously considering this as well. Nice 600+ mile day to get the winter cobwebs out.
Anyone besides BFehkler from the Seattle area want to make a day of it? I figure a 6:30 - 7:00 start will work for a noon time arrival. Looking at routes, I-90 to 97 south on the trip over and then some back roads to Portland and a I-5 blast back north...

--G
For information, The bridge at Biggs on hwy 97 is closed so you people coming from the north will need to cross the river at the Dalles and then follow hwy 197 to Maupin.

I might do that. I was thinking of riding down to the coast, but every blue hair around will be going down and it would be a very slow ride. What time were you thinking of leaving, and which route are you going to take?
I was thinking of getting under way at about 8:30/9:00 AM. I'm thinking about going up 205 to WA/SR-14, riding out through the Gorge on the WA side (that side is warmer that time of day), crossing over at The Dalles, and then heading South on 197 to Maupin. If you're interested, we could meet up in the parking lot at the Shilo Inn on Airport Way at, say, 9:00?

On the way back, I plan on heading out 216 from Maupin to US-26 up through Government Camp (temps should be in the low 60s there by that time of the day) and then hook up with 212 into Clackamas and then home.

Below is a map of the little 60 mile loop I'm going to do after lunch. (A friend tells me the twisties out of and back into Maupin are a blast). It heads up out of Maupin on Bakeoven Rd, then back down to US-97 just West of Shaniko, then West to 197 and back North into Maupin. Look at the route in Google Earth and you'll see what I'm talking about:

MaupinLoopRoute.jpg

Sounds like a great gathering.

I'd join you but will be in the Tri-cities at an autocross.

Will be my first competition drive in a Lotus Elise (for those w/ a four wheel addiction, too) :yahoo: