Meet & Eat, Sat., 04/12/08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alrighty then, SO has signed off and plans are cemented in place. Lookin forward to the trip to see some old friends and meet new ones. Decisions, decisions...will youse guys disown me if I ride my Strom instead of the FJR?? :ph34r:
--G
No, we won't disown you, but you may have to ride either well ahead or well behind so that we're not necessarily seen with you... :lol: You'll just have bring a picture of your FJR with you so that at least she's along for the ride!
OK point taken. Now about this meet up in PDX @ 0900. Is this east of 205 in the area of Home Depot? I'm keeping all my options open and might fly down I-5 instead of hitting Snoqualmie Pass at O-Dark-Thirty...

--G

In x 2. Slightly different route: 14-The Dalles-I 84-OR 206-Vangilder Rd-Moro (GT Checkpt)-97-OR 216-Maupin. Lunch. OR 216-26-Inn Between (GT Checkpt)-home. Wife coming along on a Virago and doesn't want to do the extra miles. We will see.

Regarding the best roads: If you are going to drop down south for fun riding, you really should go all the way to Antelope and cut back to 97 on OR 293. The premier road in that area is OR 218 to Fossil.

Alrighty then, SO has signed off and plans are cemented in place. Lookin forward to the trip to see some old friends and meet new ones. Decisions, decisions...will youse guys disown me if I ride my Strom instead of the FJR?? :ph34r:
--G
No, we won't disown you, but you may have to ride either well ahead or well behind so that we're not necessarily seen with you... :lol: You'll just have bring a picture of your FJR with you so that at least she's along for the ride!
OK point taken. Now about this meet up in PDX @ 0900. Is this east of 205 in the area of Home Depot? I'm keeping all my options open and might fly down I-5 instead of hitting Snoqualmie Pass at O-Dark-Thirty...

--G
Yep, the Shilo Inn is located about a 1/4 mile East of 205 on the North side of Airport Way.

Regarding the best roads: If you are going to drop down south for fun riding, you really should go all the way to Antelope and cut back to 97 on OR 293. The premier road in that area is OR 218 to Fossil.
I hear you. 218 East from Antelope to Fossil looks fun!! I wish I had the time Saturday to do that ride too!

Here's a revised after-lunch route for anyone interested: Leave Maupin on Bakeoven Rd to 97; 97 West to Shaniko; Shaniko to Antelope on 218; West on 293 to 197; 197 North to Maupin. Total distance ~75 miles

MaupinLoopRouteII.jpg

Hey SM, just got home. Thanks for putting this together. Had a great time & got to meet some new to me folks.

JFR PIG, you got to have some good karma coming your way.

Two days on the throttle & no performance awards. Life is good! Thanks George.

Thanks Marty for making the Call. I know all you guys had a good ride and so did I. It was great meeting new faces, seeing old ones and I am look forward to seeing you guys again. Pics to follow.

I'm back in the barn as well. Niehart and I had a nice brisk ride back to the wet side. Thanks to SockMonkey for setting this up. We'll have to consider some 'other' future event down in the area. 15 hours, 5 deer on two separate sightings, 680.8 miles door to door all to have a burger and see friends...priceless. Pics to follow tomorrow.

--G

What a GREAT day!!! Thanks Marty for putting this together, sorry once again for Bikerskier and I taking the lead "aggresively" on the loop today...It was great to meet everyone, and I'm really looking forward to doing it again with the group. Thanks again for the hospitality...PS:would love to see some of the pic's taken today posted soon....

Ray

:yahoo: :clapping:

What an awesome day! Thanks everyone - esp. Marty the instigator! :) Continue to instigate in the future.

It was cool meeting my FJR brethren and putting some faces to names - of course by now I've scrambled them in my head. Also cool to see all the shiny FJR's all in a row - and all with their own farkle personality. But damn it now I've got new farkles for my want list. :dribble:

After departing Maupin I rode south on 97 to Redmond, got some coffee and proceeded over Santiam pass to Salem. Froze my behind off over the pass. :cold: The road was in pretty good condition and I had my own personal sport bike spotter who pointed out all the sand and water traps in the road - that was very neighborly of him. :specool:

Looking forward to next time...

Well, got home about about two hours ago...took almost four hours out of the saddle in St. Helens at the in-law's house. Today was fantastic. Thanks SockMonkey for taking the lead on this. Outstanding weather, company and destination. It was also a great opportunity for my father-in-law to get out and get his feet wet on his new Road King (below). A few pics...

FJR Pig and his father-in-law (we'll call him Bumble) leaving Pig's pen

2409665582_54ae2c94fd.jpg

The rendezvous at PDX Shiloh Inn - affordable excellence...note Bumble admiring all the FJRs. :whistling:

2408840387_fb03b97d4c.jpg

Taking SR 14 out towards The Dalles. There's Bumble waving, thankful to have survived that last wide corner. Good ole Bikerskier is on sweep duty a bit further back.

2408829349_3e59eb6c20.jpg

There's escapefjrtist next to SockMonkey's train, mulling over pulling alongside it and jumping on like in the old westerns. (I think he could've made it if he had the stones...and the checkbook)

2409667876_1bcbca5943.jpg

Pig, you can't stop him. You can only hope to contain him. :pig_ball:

2409662740_a885d1079f.jpg

Pit stop in The Dalles. SockMonkey shows off his fancy lid while 650cent gives me the Canby cold shoulder... ;)

2409677148_f2940e5ef4.jpg

Bumble posing with a handsome man in Maupin, Oregon.

2408837395_5c53aec325.jpg

Pre-lunch tire kicking. Our group of 8 pretty much doubled in size at the designated eatin' time, though this pic doesn't show that. Again, good on SockMonkey for settin' this one up.

2408838673_dab8380a5b.jpg

Yumm, lunch. :nyam: Just a horrible venue, too. I hated sitting outside in the sun with the Deschutes River right behind us. Geez Marty, try to do better next time. Ha! Kidding. Did I mention what a great place we were taken to?

2409654068_3801b04dc8.jpg

Weird. This picture turned out with a bass blue hue to it. There's Greg97224 at the end of the table holding court and escapefjrtist showing lunch who's boss.

2409651600_3537ecb5db.jpg

Bikerskier tells PDXFJR if he ever has to ride sweep again, he'll squirt ketchup all over him. 650cent still refuses to pose for a photo op and pretends to slice his bread.

2408834859_59295683f1.jpg

Bumble and FJR Pig make the mandatory DQ stop in Rhododendron after negotiating US 26 over Mt. Hood, a.k.a. "Gravel Alley"

2409682466_6b10fc1863.jpg

Rode up on this fellow on the way out to St. Helens. Thought his bike was very Jetsons like. Upon further review, it appears to be the new Victory Vision. Check the exhaust.

2408849441_edcdf10b07.jpg

All in all, a fine day. I would've liked to go on the option loop with the "in crowd" but Bumble was tired. I don't expect he'll want to go ridin' with me for a little while. He couldn't stop talking about how dem fancy FJR's cut through the corners.

Pig...out.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great day and ride, couldn't have been better. I am going to go back and do the loop from Maupin as soon as possible, this time maybe a lot of it won't be such a blur. Funny, had a strange dream about a train last night. Thanks everyone.

A huge thanks to everyone that was able to make it out yesterday for the "Meet & Eat"! Apart from that miserable POS train that would never friggen' end (henceforth known as "The Great Train Race"), the day was absolutely perfect!! Great ride, great friends, and - surprisingly, pretty darned good food! I'll give the manager of the Imperial River Co. a call to let them know that "we'll be back"!

The after lunch loop ride was a blast! I'd picked a granny-like "please-dear-Lord-don't-let-me-****-up" pace to start things off, when PDXFJR and bikerskier (thankfully) decided it was time to, let's say, pick-up the pace just a bit..! Then things got really interesting! I'd love to get back over there (soon) and spend a whole day just riding 218 (go the whole route though from Shaniko to Fossil). If that road doesn't teach some serious cornering skills, nothing will!! The Dragon? We don't need no stinkin' Dragon!!

What an awesome day!!! Thanks again, all! (BTW: stay tuned for another "Meet & Eat" in mid-May. Details coming soon!)

20080412MaupinOR004_sm.jpg

"Oh, you on the end... The chef told me that we're out of the truffles. You'll get cole slaw and like it!"

20080412MaupinOR005_sm.jpg

"And this one time, at band camp..."

Can't add much to all the pretty rhetoric about the ride and lunch and certainly don't have any better pics, except one of PDXFJR near Shaniko with Hood in the background after our little break from the pack. I'll post it later. That part between the break and joing 97 was most excellent and very exhilarating! Next time, I'll let someone else lead the break so I don't get a bad rap. I really think a weekend centered around Maupin is an excellent idea and can't wait to ride all those sweet roads.

Never a cold shoulder for you pig, I always say "yes,sir" and "no,sir". Had a great time, first long ride of the year and a great opportunity to blow out a few cobwebs. Looking forward to the next ride. Thanks "sock" or should I say grandma :lol:

Bill