Mesh Jacket w/armor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playgtar

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a jacket for warm weather riding that also offers some protection. I want to get one for the wife too, since she is usually on the back. What do you all have and would you give a review or recommendation? Gracias amigos!!

I have been checking out the Motoport stuff based on the recommendations of people here on the forum. It is Kevlar based and will not melt into your skin sliding down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own two: an Olympia Airglide II and a Tourmaster Intake. I wear the Airglide the majority of the time, however, in temps above around 90 degrees, the Intake is a bit cooler. I'd recommend either for warm/hot weather, but would recommend the Airglide for cooler temps too. I've ridden comfortably (with the removable liner in) in temps as low as the low-30's. It has matching pants that are as comfortable and offer as much protection as the jacket.

I've got the Ultra2 Air Mesh Kevlar from Motoport. I love it. It's not too bad up to about mid-90's, but at that point even not wearing a jacket isn't going to really be any better for the heat.

And, with the two liners (one rain, one warmth), it's good down into the 30's at least.

I've ordered the pants to go with it; Iexpect them to arrive inside the next three weeks.

I just bought this in the glow -n- the dark yellow.

Was planning on buying an Olympia jacket but couldn't pass up this deal...

https://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh_ja...cle_jacket.html

the liner is quite cheesy, but the jacket itself is pretty good.

I had been wearing a mesh vest over my black mesh Yamaha Jacket but it still blocked too much air.

YYMV

I wear the Tourmaster Air Intake Series 2 Mesh Jacket.

h_k52_red1.jpg

It's comfortable even on the hottest of days. In the summer, it can reach into the mid 90s. It's not unusual to have temperature swings of 30-40 F over the day here. If it's going to be hot in the afternoon, but cool in the morning (low to mid-50's) I'll wear it into work. I'll wear a liner underneath if the temps drop into the low 50s. But won't wear the liner that came with this jacket - it's a POS (that's my only gripe about this jacket). I'll wear a fleece underneath or the liner from my First Gear Ranier Jacket.

I highly recommend the Cortech GX Air or another similarly built mesh jacket. The GX Air is not as cheap as most run of the mill mesh jackets... nor is it as expensive as the Cycleport... which I would really like to own but cannot afford.

Besides being completely armored, it has leather covering those high impact areas on the jacket. I really feel that it is a reasonable choice between the 2 extremes.

Motoport / Cycleport

Nothing else comes close as far as protection for mesh gear, and, likely, for all gear. The mesh works well but you will still be warm on hot days. Hell, you'd be warm if you were riding nekkid. The gear is versatile. Zip in the gore-tex rain/wind liners and you are good to go untill it gets pretty cold. Then, add a fleece layer (I use my Patagucci but Motoport sells a fleece liner, too) and you are good to under almost any condidtions. I rode several rainy days in Alaska this summer and stayed completely dry, too.

Some of us here have "field tested" the Motoport gear. It passes.

Not affliated in any way except that I have sent them money and they have covered my ass.

Motoport

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently replaced my very sporty but way hot Shift mesh jacket with a less sporty, but very airy Firstgear Mesh-Tex in day-glo green after reading a review online (maybe Webbikeworld?) that gave it great reviews. I really like the jacket a lot. Very cool and breezy, very comfortable, and you can see it like crazy! The tailoring is not quite as fancy as the Shift, but that's part of the reason the SHift was so hot too.

I bought the FirstGear jacket for $130 from Indysuperbike.com I am pleased with the jacket, the price, and with their service.

I highly recommend the Cortech GX Air or another similarly built mesh jacket. The GX Air is not as cheap as most run of the mill mesh jackets... nor is it as expensive as the Cycleport... which I would really like to own but cannot afford.
Besides being completely armored, it has leather covering those high impact areas on the jacket. I really feel that it is a reasonable choice between the 2 extremes.
+1 on the GX Air jacket. I wear a Techniche HyperKewl vest underneath,and I've been reasonably comfortable here in PHX this summer. I've seen 118 degrees on the FJR display while riding on I-10. I went with the Cortech over the Tourmaster Intake Air because of the leather in the impact areas. I believe I paid $269 from Dennis Kirk. The Motoport stuff seems to offer excellent protection,but many have reported fit issues,and it is really expensive.

Mike