Mesh Jacket w/armor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE (Big-B @ Aug 3 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been wearing a First Gear Mesh-Tex for about 5 years now. Can't recommend it highly enough. Pads, zippers, and finish have held up great. Great airflow, not much there to stop it. The first couple years the jackets did not come with liners.
Went down with it on once but did not slide down the road to test out the abrasion resistance. I did hit the fender of the truck and the road, no sore arms or shoulders. Just a sore chest from where the over-sized CB windshield hit me.

The only other jackets I thought were of similar or higher quality are Teknic and Alpinestars. Haven't seen Olympia to compare them. Bought my daughter a Cortech LTX AIR for fit and style, none of the First Gear fit or appealed to her. So I have looked at jackets recently.

Brian
And New Enough has it on sale for $85 right now.

Mesh Tex Sale

As a matter fact, that IS a screaming deal, and I'm all over it like a bird on a Junebug! Got notification the jacket and matching mesh pants shipped today. NewEnough.com has served me very well a number of times in the past. I especially like the no BS descriptions Drew often includes for items.

A great outfit!

Don

I use the Olympia Motosport Transitional Jacket..I've worn the jacket in 100 degree heat, and 15 degree cold. It has multiple zipperred flaps that let you regulate airflow, a quilted lining for cold temps, and a waterproof lining.

I strongly recommend that you look at this one.

Tourmaster Intake and Tourmaster Venture air pants are what I ended up with after some research and the advice of others who had BTDT.

Update on the FirstGear Mesh Tex jacket and pants...

As mentioned above, I ordered my MeshTex gear from NewEnough.com on August 4th, got shipping confirmation on 8/05 and received the box yesterday, 08/08!

Tried both pant and jacket on today after looking it all over for any visable defects (none), and will be taking it out for a ride this afternoon for a test. One of the things I like a lot about the FirstGear pants is that they offer them in a Short inseam for those of us who are "inseam challenged". The pants run true to size for the waist, and the length is perfect for ol shorty! The zipper for attaching the pants/jacket match the ones on my earlier FirstGear Cordura/Leather jacket and lined pants, so now I can mix 'n match for differing weather conditions... Perfect~!

Total for the pants, jacket and shipping was $182.43. Once again NewEnough.com amazes me with the speed of their order handling and shipping (at the standard Ground Rate). Kudos to Drew for running a first class operation down in Texas. Each time I have dealt with them, they have exceeded my expectations.

I'm a happy camper once again!

If you're on the fence about this gear, I can't recommend it and NewEnough highly enough.

Ride Safe!

Don

Edited to correct: In reading my two posts in this thread, I see I had a brain fart, and mis-named the owner of NewEnough in both instances... Must be my old nemesis, "Al" (Zeimer) creeping back in! Apologies to Paul, who deserves recognition for running a first class operation! D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my MotoPort Airmesh jacket 10 days ago, when it was between 85-90 degrees, and was amazed at how I felt even the slightest breeze. I got the Quad Armor upgrade, and the feeling of security is wonderful; this stuff rocks! At 8 pounds it's not like being in just a t-shirt, and yes, if you're standing still in the sun, it's still warm (as somebody above already mentioned), but I just was not comfortable riding unprotected; took the fun out of it! Expensive, but if I ever go down, I guess I'll find out if the investment was worth it. . . Better safe than sorry, with all the cagers not paying attention to us.

I recently picked up a Joe Rocket jacket from the boys at NewEnough, and the value for $85 is ridiculous.

New Enough

Yeah, I know it says Honda on it, but:

- that's nothing a seam ripper wouldn't be able to handle if one cared enough...

- I don't care enough.

If you're running one of those blue Feejers, you can get the blue/silver/black jacket for $49 freakin' dollars! It is a very solid jacket as well, so don't think you are getting a cheapie. :yahoo:

I highly recommend the Cortech GX Air or another similarly built mesh jacket. The GX Air is not as cheap as most run of the mill mesh jackets... nor is it as expensive as the Cycleport... which I would really like to own but cannot afford.
Besides being completely armored, it has leather covering those high impact areas on the jacket. I really feel that it is a reasonable choice between the 2 extremes.

Does the leather get hot though?

I highly recommend the Cortech GX Air or another similarly built mesh jacket. The GX Air is not as cheap as most run of the mill mesh jackets... nor is it as expensive as the Cycleport... which I would really like to own but cannot afford.
Besides being completely armored, it has leather covering those high impact areas on the jacket. I really feel that it is a reasonable choice between the 2 extremes.

Does the leather get hot though?
I have the GX Air2, also. The leather is on the backside of the jacket as you're riding down the road,so it doesn't impede the airflow through the mesh at all. I've been comfortable all summer here in Phoenix,though I always wear my cooling vest when it is above 90.

Mike

I've been wanting to get a jacket for warm weather riding that also offers some protection. I want to get one for the wife too, since she is usually on the back. What do you all have and would you give a review or recommendation? Gracias amigos!!
Thanks for all the great advice. I went with the Cortech GX Air.

Don't forget the lowers

h_krp2_black.jpg

Clicky Here

I've been really happy with a Speed&Strength jacket I got from Motorcycle Superstore for $99 last year.

It's been bearable into the Texas 100's.

--h

For my money, the Joe Rocket "Alter Ego" jacket is a great buy - especially if you plan to tour. The base jacket is mesh with all the armor and protection you might look for. over that, an outer cover zips on the body, and the arms. If you stary with the covering, I have worn the jacket in 30 degree tems going over Independence Pass in early June. Whe I got to Aspen, and the temps warmed up to the 70s, I opened the vents and unzipped the sleeves and was very comfortable with the air flow. Because the covering is just fabric, storage on the bike is no problem. Finally as I approached Phoenix and 100 degree temps, the rest of the fabric came off and I was as comfortable as possible. Again because the cover is fabric, there is no problem with storage. As a side benefit, the fabric is good enough in the rain that a light shower will not require a stop to don rain gear. The jacket does come with a waterproof liner for heavy rain, but I have never used it. In summary, a jacket that will keep you wrm in the cold (probably even warmer with the rain liner on), reasonably dry in light rain, comfortable in moderte temps, and as comfortable as possible in the heat. And the versitility works well on a trip.